Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Polymerized Cum posted:

Do the four-wings look like... Nazi screws?!?!?! :godwin:
"Offset cruciform" is the :awesome: term.

MrYenko posted:

Drilling titanium screws is one of those things they don't prepare you for in trade school.
That must be pretty galling to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lightbulb Out posted:

What is the point of a fastener like that?
Better (supposedly) driving and less cam-out than a phillips head.

The removal can be aided by a design which incorporates little points on the anticlockwise drive side, with matching "teeth" on the driver bit, but only certain designs do that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hadlock posted:

Why don't aerospace companies use Robertson drive screws? Supposedly the driver will strip before the screw does in most cases.
Some do. Pretty much every wrenching configuration you can think of is represented somewhere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There is no way you would ever live down being "The guy who FOD'd a Pegasus with a Slumberland"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

The YF-23 really was the one that should have been. It makes the F-22 look downright bloated and completely out-of-date.
When they made Macross Plus, and they were deciding what a bleeding-edge experimental fighter from the 2040s should look like, they pretty much just copied the YF-23 for their YF-21:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

ah ITAR, I recently started to work for a defense contractor and had to learn about this.
Try being the foreign national. Who is trying to make the parts you've ordered.

:patriot: You said a stockist asked you to make 400 of these turbine tie rods?

:colbert: Sure, we're approved manufacturers for you guys, we've made them before and you signed off the first article, and the stockist has proved to us that they have a purchase order from you for the parts.

:patriot: Great, that's fine. Make sure you work to the latest specifications.

:colbert: Yeah, you put your spec listing online, so I can see we're going to need the updated copies of ##### and #####. Can you send them to us?

:patriot: No.

:colbert: Whaddya mean, "No"?

:patriot: No. Also, here's a nonconformance we've raised on you for that batch of studs last month, you didn't add the ant-corrosion oil to the packages like we said in the latest supplier quality alert.

:colbert: The hell with that. You never gave us an alert. Wait, let me guess, you can't, can you?

:patriot: I have to go. We can't be seen together.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We couldn't move one of our CNC machines during our latest shop-floor reorganisation without them sending out an agent to reset it after we did so. Apparently they had an issue where someone sold a machine on to a company in Iran, and it ended up being used to make things people would rather Iranians didn't make, leading to them getting a massive bollocking, and the machines being set so that breaking them down to move them locks out all the control software until they reset it.

We couldn't be bothered, and just painted round it instead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Situational awareness is a hell of an official purpose when you're driving a small building around a crowded terminal area: I'd guess that Air France's rearranging of JFK's regional jet ramp probably cost them (or their insurers) over a million bucks: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2011/04/air-france-a380-spins-delta-regional-jet-in-jfk-collision/155560/1

e: non-usa-today link for people who read above a fourth-grade level: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20110412X23201&key=1
Notice, however, that the rear camera still doesn't give you a view of the wing tips, which I think was cited as being a factor in that collision.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't really have an issue with turning stuff off for takeoff and landing, and having it in flight mode the rest of the time. Can't really see why people get so wound up about it, it's maybe half an hour at the most at either end of the flight.

I'm pretty sure there's unlikely to be a serious problem caused by someone having their electronics turned on at takeoff/landing, but aerospace doesn't run on "pretty sure", so I can't see the rule going away any time soon. Even leaving aside the possibility of interference, I've heard a few other reasons for it, such as wanting passengers paying attention to safety information rather than their phone.

The whole thing remains a complete non-issue as far as I'm concerned. What's so bad about being without a kindle or whatever for a little while?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

Crosspost from the awesome image thread. Figured it could go in here, too.

Link
That's awesome, but how the gently caress can the restoration cost $700,000? You could make every single component by hand and not spend that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

Wonder how they figured that one out.
I decided years ago that any instructions or warnings are far more interesting if you assume they exist because someone, somewhere, did it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

something like 900 new parts that need FAIs plus subassembly FAIs and assembly FAIs
I think that at this point I would just shoot myself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Previa_fun posted:

I was just reminded of the long YouTube comment battle (ugh) in which there is a good chunk of the population who believes this aircraft was unmanned and flown remotely. Something to do with some TLC show's vague wording describing the accident.

They go as far to say there was another flight that was manned that DID crash the same way to cover up the unmanned plane's failure...or something. I don't know.
I think it's more that people are too loving stupid to understand what "fly by wire" means.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

Sorry guys I am bad at my job and now airplanes are crashing :(
Everyone thinks being an engineer in aerospace means you're a Galahad or a Lancelot, when in actual fact you go to great pains to be Sir Not Appearing On This Paperwork.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Russians shall not have Constantinople.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cygni posted:

This is the most British video ever.
If a Brit ever tells you that they have A Cunning Plan, that's the point to surreptitiously look at the person next to you and mutter "Uh-oh" under your breath.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 20, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you can get them to try launching ICBMs by throwing them out the back of a C5 while in flight, strapping a few bits onto a B52 should seem completely reasonable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They should have tried this, just for a laugh. They were scrapping them anyway, it's not like it matters if it goes horribly wrong.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Iran unveiled it's totally legit, not a mock-up, domestically produced stealth fighter today:

Slap some U.N. SPACY decals on that and we're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

How does part numbering work in aerospace, are there different certifications etc. for a new part number vs. a revision?
We do a FAI on a new part or a revision change of any proprietary part number, unless we're specifically told not to, or it's a transport component (only used to hold assemblies together in situ, not a functional/flying part). Standard parts (SAE drawings etc) don't tend to get a FAI unless someone tells us they want one.

Some parts are numbered only, some have revisions noted, manufacturer IDs or CAGE codes, serial numbers etc, it really depends on what the people who designed it say you have to do. Some parts are only labelled on the packaging, you get a variance in what info must be permanent or temporary, and so on. So we get a certain manufacturer's part that says [SPEC] with suffix -11 or -24 for the human readable data, we'll dot peen that on it, but there might be a second note saying a 2D data matrix to suffix -8, so that goes on the packet the part is shipped in.

Dealing with this stuff isn't that complicated, in one sense, because you can just brute-force your way through tiers of requirements until you hit something that tells you what to do, and you have a prioritisation of what documents override each other in case of conflict (purchase order beats amendment sheet beats drawing beats manufacturing specification beats sub-specification and so on). However, I am mainly a specs/documents guy, so I'm geared toward that.

It only becomes a problem when you encounter unclear or contradictory information and have to kick it back up the chain, at which point people often develop a strong case of Not My Call disease and don't want to give you an answer.