Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

You guys have a plane thread and havnt mentioned crazy Russian awesomeness yet?
Anatov 225

What do you mean Russian it's clearly got a NASA shuttle on back! Oh wait, Buran.

One of my favorite jets, it is the largest swing wing airplane I know of, the Tu-160 Blackjack.

Bonus: Massive 2424x1714 labeled cutaway drawing

edit: Wing attack plan R

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

twitter posted:

Why can't they track he last powered on location of passengers phones if they were still ringing days after? #mh370

Guys, I've been trying to call my friend on MH370 for days but she won't pick-up! Is there a way to block my number on her caller ID?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Part of me thinks this the absolute wrong thread, but another part thinks this is the absolute best thread to ask, what is life like living near an air force base or a small airport? Wife and I are looking into buying a house, and we are seeing a lot of houses that are approximately 1 mile or less west of the airport are lower priced, and houses that are about 1 mile north and 2 miles east of the air force base are also a better value. I am in Wichita so the offending noise sources are ICT and McConnell AFB, just looking at google maps it appears their runways each run pretty close to straight north and south. I am assuming that that noise would be the worst in a line near the ends of the runway since that would be where the plains are close to the ground at full throttle for takeoff. I'm pretty much not concerned with the local airport because just look at that busy flight schedule, they could fit all the arrivals and departures on one screen. :haw:

So, if anyone has any experience living near an airport (if ICT is even fit to be called an airport. . .) or an AFB, please let me know about the noise or what areas I should avoid, like I probably don't want a house at the end of the runway. Feel free to yell at me if you know a better thread to post my question.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Trip report time! I drove all the loving way across town (20 miles each way, literally from one edge of the city to the other :lol: ) and drove by some homes. The entire time I was in my car I never heard any planes. I rolled down my window, turned off my radio/AC, and still heard nothing but my own motor until I parked, then I finally heard a hint of noise. I spotted a local garage sale in the area so I stopped and stared at baby clothes for about 20 minutes, no intention of buying anything but I didn't want to creep people out sitting in a parked car for no apparent reason. . . Hi I'm the stalker who wants to be your new neighbor! I didn't hear any planes fly by overhead while at the garage sale. . . Finally, I went into the park/forest that separates the neighborhood from the airport and if I listened really carefully I could hear planes taking off or landing, and they took off quite a bit. However, the birds chirping and branches underneath my feet were louder than the planes. I could definitely tell there was airport activity, but I'm fairly sure I could easily sleep through it, or ignore it.

Thanks for the advice in the thread, but I guess sometimes it's best to just burn some gas and find out for yourself what it is like. I didn't get a chance to ask anyone who lives there about the noise or other neighborhood problems (I was hoping the other buyers would leave the garage sale so I could ask without looking like a complete rear end in a top hat, instead they proceeded to start a long argument over price. . .). I used the "voice recorder" app on my phone to try to record some of the noise, also used the camera feature to see if that could get a better recording, with all my recordings it is very hard to tell that I was trying to record airplane noise.

I think the best thing that came out of all of this is one of the for sale houses had an engraved yard stone, and the owners and I have the same rare(ish) last name. Maybe I could take advantage of that if I put make an offer on the house. :10bux: