Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ApathyGifted posted:

Nope, but my desktop background is actually a set of images like this which changes every hour.

(I stole all the wireframes from the internet and just inverted the colors and moved the views around a bit for aesthetic reasons.)

You got any more of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sweet mother of God! What is that thing?! :aaaaa:

A Wing in Ground effect vehicle. Kind of a hovercraft on creatine...

The Soviets had a real hard on for the concept.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I live in Madison Wisc and go every year...:smug:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Godholio posted:

You were at Elmendorf? Yeah, there have been 2 Class-A mishaps resulting the loss of an aircraft. Yukla 27 ingested a flock of canadian geese and lost two engines immediately after leaving the ground, too late to abort. They tried to go around for an immediate emergency landing, but only made it about 2 miles before going down into a wooded area. 24 on board. The other loss was not long after. A NATO E-3 drove off the end of the runway after the pilot decided to abort after hitting v1...there were birds in the area and Yukla was still fresh in everyone's mind. The airframe buckled after it plowed off the runway an into a body of water...the most serious injury was a broken leg, in the area of the cabin where the frame bent to the side.

The recent Nellis incident was probably Class-A (I can't imagine it being cheaper) but there were no major injuries and the aircraft is being repaired.

I was stationed at Bragg when this happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqPDe-nZK6w

Right in the middle of a public LAPES demo. Horrific event.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

InitialDave posted:

Indeed. God, the temptation to "lose" that copy and buy the library system a replacement one...

You haven't "lost" it already?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

Lots of cool zeppelin stuff including lift capacity of 72 loving tons!!!

The newest lift capacity designs-- http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/10/23/new.airships/ Only can handle a payload of 60 tons.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fucknag posted:

:911:
The solution to all problems: PUT MORE GUNS ON IT!

Well duh!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

joat mon posted:

Which Tank-Busting aircraft has:

An armored bathtub for the pilot

Twin engines

A big-rear end gun that will lay to waste anything it hits?

The Henschel 129b, of course:

Can I have one for Christmas if I'm extra-specially good?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Breaky posted:

Holy poo poo it had a 70% thrust increase over the F-5... didn't know that.

And, if my memory isn't completely trashed, it was the fastest aircraft to become airborne, from a cold start, ever.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Minto Took posted:

Wings of the Red Star was my definite favorite. Partially growing up during the Cold War painted the Russians as this mysterious enemy.

Also, Beyond 2000 and Next Step were awesome.

Beyond 2000's production company is responsible for Mythbusters:science:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Is that a twin-V8 powered drone????

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LOO posted:

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II.

The most beautiful fighter ever.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LOO posted:

More stuff.

Phantoms make me feel :3:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

tripsevens posted:

Starcraftu.
Not doing the stereotype any favours...

Has it been upgraded with the Wave Motion Cannon?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Not that this thread really needs something to generate replies, but I've been thinking for a while about which military aircraft has proven to be the best investment over time. To me it's between the C-130 and the B-52, but I'm curious to hear other positions.

F4 and F5 series were pretty stellar. Just think of all the overseas sales.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Understeer posted:

Less lift-induced drag since you've basically created a wing with infinite aspect ratio. You know how modern airliners have blended winglets to reduce drag? Think of it as the ultimate winglet.

I've stood next to one while running in this test cell (the engine pictured is an F136, not an F101 from the B1):

Click here for the full 900x600 image.

When it goes into full augmentor (afterburner), it'll knock the wind out of you, even though the engine is completely sealed inside that cell. Note the thickness of the cell wall in the opening. Fun stuff.

No shade tree mechanic-ing those bastards.:black101:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Aargh posted:

The Kangaroos painted on the side of them are usually a pretty good indicator for where they're from.

I thought those were mutant walruses :psyduck:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Lord Commissar posted:

I had Falcon 4.0 when it first came out, it CAME with a manual in a real nice binder with maps.

Wish I still had it, but I think I traded it to a goon.

I worked on Falcon 4.0, both PC and Mac versions. I still think it and the IL series are the best flight sims ever made.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Lord Commissar posted:

In fact most of the Jane's games had awesome manuals.

Agreed. The only Jane's sim I worked on was the LAN component for F/A-18 Simulator. Testing that was a blast with two 8 player flights on a coordinated strike mission.

Interesting note. The original design document for Falcon 4.0 was written as an Excel spreadsheet. By the time it Gold Mastered, the spreadsheet was 11MB!!! 11 megs for a loving spreadsheet, no graphics...

It was easily the most complex game I ever worked on and regressing bugs could be a nightmare.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Boomerjinks posted:

haha whatever, man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV35B-vfT4U

You just sold a copy of A-10.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

I....want this

They have a helo sim too!!!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
:swoon: Realistic air combat sims make me so happy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Jane's USAF had a decent A-10 component. Nowhere near DCS's sperglord version of course, but it was fun.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Ola posted:

I remember the first time I tried the A-10 Cuba demo, it was sooo smoooth...

I loved that game. That and Flying Nightmares kept me happy for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Surviving while flying a Komet let alone actually shooting anything down was a feat worthy of the gods.