Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Mr.Peabody posted:

There's two planes on my short list that I want to buy:

The Icon A-5 Amphibious sport aircraft. Price: $135,000

That is sweet! I definitely want one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Throatwarbler posted:

I thought they worked well enough, except the only problem was that they couldn't really handle rough seas that you might encounter on the open ocean, so other than the Caspian Sea and a few other inland bodies of water it wasn't really usable anywhere else.

They do open ocean ok too, unless things are REALLY out of hand. You just can't run them over land (without dramatically crashing into every single terrain feature).

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I think cold war soviet union existed just to invent things for the upcoming Command and Conquer game series.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

DoLittle posted:

The Bugatti air racer is very pretty and unique:

That actually looks like a bird.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Republic_F-105B_with_avionics_layout_060831-F-1234S-046.jpg

"Dammit all, where IS that frickin USB cable?"

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
"The SR-71 had a turning radius of about 100 mi. at that speed and altitude, so I wasn't even sure what state we were going to land in."

That is mind boggling.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

OptimusMatrix posted:

This is pretty metal if it's real. I'm a Rotorcraft CFII and you couldn't pay me enough money to fly this.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c02_1268850857

That looks like it was built exclusively from things available at hobby lobby.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

quote:

While it might seem at first that this is some sort of cobbled together widow-maker, it is in fact a fully certified and sanctified machine which is approved by the FAA

Actually that's pretty much what came to mind immediately

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

eggyolk posted:

Even if it didn't have a toilet I'd still fly in it just to say I'd poo poo in my pants while going supersonic.

I think I'd prefer to say that I DIDN'T poo poo my pants going faster than sound.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

eggyolk posted:

It begs asking, would you even hear the sound of the poo poo hitting your pants?

Have you ever flown in a plane? Your drink doesn't suddenly hit the rear bulkhead when you set it down. Everything in the plane is traveling at the same speed. If you poo poo your pants in the Concorde it would be just like the last time you did it at your computer desk.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

When they first tested the Flying Pancake they couldnt get the thing to loving land.

I could imagine that causing some operational difficulties.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

The Electronaut posted:

Looking through some footage and thought this would fit in, a couple radials on an old warbird. That's me coming out the bomb bay...

"Your honor, I present exhibit A. as proof that I am indeed, the bomb."

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Ola posted:

Holy hell that is a boatload of alpha. So close to making a very big mistake, the hook almost caught the wire and would have written off the airplane in a huge pancake splat.

Continuing the series, here's a Russian plane that had its mind changed for it and not only didn't pull it off but pushed itself off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V4S5zsTlMU

Did the cable break? that's what it looks like.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

grover posted:

Wing flex doesn't bother me nearly so much as wing oscillations. Watching that wing-tip flap up and down about 6' in-flight is pretty disconcerting.

birds have been doing this for thousands of years what are you worried about

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Boomerjinks posted:

I also got Chuck Yeagers autograph, but I left it in the hotel in Greenbay. :smithicide:

How could you leave it? I would have been clutching it in my hand with a big grin for like a year straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Your dad is pretty awesome.