Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress yes, airplanes!

Well, I always loved planes when I was a boy, and right after high school I got a job refinishing them. 2 years later I decided my boss was a loving rear end in a top hat, but by then it was too late, I was hooked on planes.

Anyway, I'm sure every cool rear end plane is going to be posted, so I won't go for that. Instead, I'm going to give a shoutout to my local ANG wing, the 105th. They primarily fly (and fix) C-130s and C-5s, and I don't think it's debatable that C-5s are the cooler of the two.

loving largest plane the US military uses, largest plane "mass produced", and second largest to a plane the Russians are proud of but only exists in glorified prototype form. That's right, gently caress you Antonov.

vid from the 105ths home base, hosting the NY air show in 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwMFIjMPb0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Speaking of crosswinds, here's a Concorde pilot making GBS threads his pants and pushing the throttle all the way forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79LE4ty_gkM&NR=1

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The -29 has a bad combat record due to the fact that in both Iraq, and the Bosnian campaign (IIRC) the USAF slapped poorly trained pilots around like little bitches. Not really indicative of actual performance, but on paper F-15s gently caress them up.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Honestly, back in the 80s when the Russian Air Force had some kind of funding for training, I'm sure the -29 had better capabilities. In Georgia, IIRC, most of the strike aircraft used were Su-25s, and I don't think the -29 was one of the airframes lost.

If I had to bet money, I'd say the most capable -29 squadrons in 2010 belong to the Indian Air Force.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm of the opinion that the Russian Air Force exists today solely as a demonstration team for Russian exports :laugh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
You mean you aren't supposed to lose a few airframes and then fly your top of the line fighters to a country that hates you, never to return?!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Color me informed, didn't know the Luftwaffe used them!

Holdovers from the East Germans? Are they still operational?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm fairly certain they don't, at least publicly. However, it's pretty common knowledge that the Serbs called Russian advisors in after the shoot-down of our F-117, and it's entirely possible that Iran crated up an F-14 or 3 and sent them out.

The US acquired its Soviet airframes from defectors/countries that swapped from Warsaw Pact dominance to Capitalism, and the reverse hasn't happened to my knowledge.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, the coatings and such can be analyzed, the electronics and such maybe pieced together. Look at the re-assembly of TWA Flight 800, it's not too hard to rebuild an annihilated airframe. It obviously won't ever fly again, but you can learn a poo poo ton of stuff.

Also, yes, the Nighthawk was retired, precisely because one was shot down and the technology compromised.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's entirely true, but let's not pretend that Russian aerospace engineers are loving retards.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

azflyboy posted:

I remember reading that the Nighthawk was retired simply because the aircraft were getting old (and therefore more costly to keep flying) and the USAF wanted more F-22's, so they canned the F-117.

The F-117 was also designed using the very best of 1970's technology, and the role it served (penetration and surgical strike) could be performed by the B-2, F-22 or a JASSM (a stealthy cruise missile), so it wasn't terribly useful to keep around in the future.

That could be true, too. I'm of the opinion that it was dropped because the Serbs were very public with how it was downed, it wasn't a lucky shot.

wiki:

quote:

According to NATO Commander Wesley Clark and other NATO generals, Yugoslav air defenses detected F-117s by operating their radars on unusually long wavelengths, making the aircraft visible to radar for brief periods.

Reportedly, several SA-3s were launched from approximately 8 miles out, one of which detonated near the F-117A, forcing the pilot to eject. Though still classified, it is believed that the F-117 has no radar warning indicator, so the pilot's first indication of an incoming missile was likely seeing its flame. At this distance and combined speed the pilot had about six seconds to react before impact. According to an interview, Zoltán Dani kept most of his missile sites intact by frequently moving them, and had spotters looking for F-117s and other NATO aircraft. He oversaw the modification of his targeting radar to improve its detection. The commanders and crews of the SAMs guessed the flight paths of earlier F-117A attacks from rare radar spottings and positioned their SAM launchers and spotters accordingly. It is believed that the SA-3 crews and spotters were able to locate and track F-117A 82-806 visually, probably with infra-red and night vision systems.

So yeah, maintenance was a bear, the technology was getting old, but it would have been useful to keep at least some around to bolster the shaky F-22 program that got cut. It was still a perfectly valid airframe for low intensity invasions we are so fond of. It kinda leads me to believe that it was retired early at least in part to its "stealth" being compromised, even though it was more our planning than anything that resulted in that loss.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm sure with aircraft like that we don't really inform too many people of the flight paths, so they don't get a chance to test strategy or whatever. It probably narrows down the air corridors they can use.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

decahedron posted:

They should just make a new version of the Spad. Thing's a beast. Here's a picture courtesy of Wiki:

The loiter time might not be that phenomenal, though. I'm sure if you used a more fuel-efficient modern engine you could improve it!

Isn't the A-10 basically the Skyraider with a bigger gun and jets?

e- also I'm pretty sure only plane outside of the F-35 to be used by all 3 branches with fixed wing aircraft (sorry Army :()

e2- here's a Skyraider dropping the 6 millionth ton of poo poo on Vietnam. Literally.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 12, 2010

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Dammit I knew that too :mad:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Forgot, no....didn't even know it existed. Welp.

Also I get the A-1 love, but seriously the A-10 is doing that exact job right now. A prop plane might be cheaper, but you're gonna lose a ton of them to rifle fire.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Preoptopus posted:

You saw the only one.

As I learned today, he saw one of like 54. The 6 engine one you're thinking of is even larger than that.

e- I saw that one land at Stewart and it's mind boggling.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not inherently more dangerous because of the speed, more like it's easier to lose a prop and a heavy machine gun can do that easily.

Besides, when the A-10 exists and is filling the role already, it's doubtful any prop based program is going to gain traction in the Pentagon. Wouldn't the A-10 carry more weapons and loiter longer than a prop plane that isn't ridiculously big?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

There are only so many A-10s to go around, and they're getting up there in years/flight hours. We're not going to build more of them, so what's next?

Not a prop plane, I'd imagine. Unless it's a drone.

Yeah though, we better get used to the F-35.

e- Really though, in a low level insurgency what's needed out of a CAS aircraft? If the F-35 is going to be the main strike aircraft, what capabilities would be lost outside of loiter and strafing runs? It (supposedly) drops bombs fine.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 17, 2010

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
e-^^^ The C-5 operates on the same principles

Vitamin J posted:

SR-71 camp out

This is right in the wheelhouse of the Aurora project being restarted IIRC, so you "may" have heard an even faster plane.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Was that at an airshow? I'm pretty sure I saw that same P-51 with some Eagle back in 2003 at Stewart.

e- nope, different Mustang looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2FML_ZO2DI

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 20, 2010

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Both are ugly though and the Airforce needs at least one sexy intercontinental bomber. It's in the Constitution.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Given all this, I'm now slightly confused as to why there are so many B-52s still around.

Strategic bombers back then were expensive and it's a rugged airframe. Plus we have a ton so why trash them?

I think we still have a few battleships in mothballs, just in case. America is fun like that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ekranoplan is sad :smith:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cirrus_Alreia posted:

I find out that the airplane on the Intrepid is, in fact, not an SR-71 and feel a bit cheated.

I then find out that the Intrepid has a Concorde. http://tinyurl.com/OMGCONCORDE
I can no longer feel cheated.

I knew they had the Concorde but I also thought there was an SR-71 on the Intrepid. I had to look too. As a New Yorker, my greatest source of shame is that I've never been there :(

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 25, 2010

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I think there's a P-40 down in the south surrounded by Migs :ohdear:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
^^^ Smokey Yunick blew up an elephant with one, no joke.

joat mon posted:

I still like the Hs-129, which is less than 1/2 the size of the B-25, more.

It's my favorite ground attack plane of the war, and the first of the 3 great tank busters in history. Not as successful or as plentiful as the other two, but it laid the framework for them. One is the A-10 which we all love, the other is the Su-25 Frogfoot.

This thing doesn't get nearly enough love. 30mm cannon, can carry a ton of poo poo, and has a great Soviet charm. They can do the same things as the A-10, maybe not as well, but it's still maybe the second best CAS aircraft out there.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 27, 2010

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I still have my old copy of the EA Su-25 sim somewhere. DOS sucks rear end.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

dangerz posted:

I love when these things land at the base near my house. They just float in the air and are insanely loud.

Yeah I've heard them every day for the last 25 years, it's not so cool anymore.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I just found this in my pictures and didn't really know why I saved it, so here's another Skyraider pic! :woop:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Goddamn the A-1 was badass. Anybody who loves the A-10 (which seems to be pretty much everybody in this thread) should love the A-1.

Also I met one of the guys who worked on the V-22 (my wife's half brother). The amount of maintenance required on those things is ridiculous.

You're drat right. In some respects they should love it more because in Vietnam it arguably played a more important role than the A-10, namely as the "Sandy" designation we're all familiar with. Rescuing downed airmen, of which they did exponentially more times than the A-10 ever has.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I loving hate the La-7 in Aces High II. I'm trying to vulture players taking off and some wiseass could always get those little fuckers up to kill me.

I just wanted to strafe the ground crews, leave me alone!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Little compared to the Bf-110 I was flying. It was like hyenas on a water buffalo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
For extra hilarity, try watching a C-5 do that in an ice storm. I worked briefly in an airplane restoration shop at Stewart, and had no idea that C-5s landed in crosswinds like that. All I saw was a C-5 pointing at our hanger, so I took off running. Once I got outside and I saw it keep going down the runway, I got to walk in and face the jeers of the old timers.

I have to admit, it was loving funny.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
KC-135 refueling a run of the mill transport? The second plane is definitely a Boeing design.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Basically, yeah. If it's military, it probably is capable of mid-air refueling.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Honestly, with the advent of more technology that removes risk from warfare (such as pilotless aircraft) I'm a bit worried that low intensity conflict is going to become the norm.

Keep the cocky fuckers employed, will ya?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
This thread just made me really sad :(

you loving downers

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

F-15 stuff

To anyone who has a favorite plane other than the F-15, you'd appreciate seeing one do a full power climb in person. It's amazing, and you'll realize why there's not a MiG on this planet that can run with it.

Mobius1B7R posted:

Wow a double post, I am an idiot. Well lets make something fun out of this, what is the best engine noise to your ears? I personally love the howl of the RBs on the 757.

Whatever is on the C-5. I've said it's annoying because after 3 decades it can be at times....but that shriek is just so powerful.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 9, 2010

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

norton I posted:

Holy poo poo! I saw these planes when they were at Mountain View, CA last year, and got a ticket for the Nine-O-Nine as a graduation gift. They left a panel above the radio room off, and I was able to look over the wing at the B-25 flying next to us.

It made the 12 year old history nerd in me very happy.

The Nine-O-Nine :3: I love that plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomerjinks posted:

WINGS.

I loving grew up on that poo poo. Everyone else came home after school and watched the Nintendo hour or ninja turtles, I sat down for an hour of Wings followed by another hour of Wings of the Red Star. The show didn't have flashy computer graphics showing 3-D views of the plane, didn't have some lame-rear end narrator trying to sound awesome, it was just production photos and stock footage, and it was loving AWESOME.

Then Beyond 2000 came on and I wanted a robot and didn't do my homework.

e- also today a KC-10 was doing touch and go's all day at Stewart :fap:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 15, 2010