Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
spotted Friday, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Greataval posted:

Polishing windows is messy and lame as gently caress to do.

not as bad as polishing aluminum

I mean, yeah it looks great on an old plane but gently caress you man I ain't doing that again

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Local NYC news here reported an eyewitness that saw the pilot struggling with the belts but it went under almost immediately.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Phanatic posted:

Another factor is that the Hudson' salt water. Even if the structure is undamaged, that plane's gonna take a lot of work.

depends on the tide, it is an outflowing river, after all

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Phanatic posted:

It's brackish all the way up to the dam, 150 miles upriver. The tides keep it pretty well mixed. The peak salt concentration depends on the tide, but the whole thing is salty below Federal Dam.

fair point, but it's not salt water like the ocean is

I mean, sure it's probably not good for the plane but sitting a day in there I don't think will gently caress up too much

e- though sitting in an NTSB hangar uncleaned probably will

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 30, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

mlmp08 posted:

Some people get deeply attached to their home of choice.

See also: Americans always rebuilding in forest fire zones, directly on eroding beaches that get slammed by hurricanes all the time, and in flood planes.

the poo poo going on over dune barriers in New Jersey is comical

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you're incapable of doing something like flying without being drunk you're an alcoholic.

I'm Mr. T in the A-Team when it comes to flying, sorry

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Vitamin J posted:

The first half is normal speed and then it's sped up after the thumbs up. Watch the wings rock on the camera plane.

....which would kinda make it fake?

look at the angle of attack the Hornet is at at the start lmao

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the point is an F-18 at that AOA wouldn't then move at that speed

hence that video isn't "real"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

It is of course impossible for video to be replayed faster than the speed at which the events occurred.

That's exactly what it is, but that also means it has been edited.

Weirdly, something can be both real and not in the world of film.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: I hope someone was in those to at least steer them.

there were, they were just getting ready to launch the gliders when it hit

some of those guys are crazy and like to surf on the volatile air ahead of a storm

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

Fair enough...I'm kind of surprised there were ever enough of them to be picked up privately in sufficient numbers that they've survived. They were kind of a failed intermediate engine for a very short window.

Generally what happened was the same as the Allison V-12.

The numbers available were simultaneously available at a time when such surplus was easy to obtain for some schlub in a garage. You don't really need high numbers, because the private and unintended usage isn't near the parameters they were designed to run at, so surviving examples tend to survive a looooong time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cat Mattress posted:

The R101 wishes its crash had been as boring as this.

to be fair the Maiden song would sound the same