Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nerobro posted:

I need a much better explanation of this.

I spent some time in the Canadian army near Zeljava. There wasn't a whole lot to see at that point since the whole thing had been destroyed, but it must have been neat to have fighters taking off from tunnels on the mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

azflyboy posted:

It's an Eraknoplan.

Eraknoplans use a phenomena known as ground effect (where a wing near the ground forms a cushion of air underneath it) to skim just over the ground or water surface at high speeds.

In theory, this would allow a large military force to be deployed beneath enemy radar coverage, but the Soviets never really solved some stability and navigation issues, so only a few were ever built.

Here's a video of the vehicle in the pictures (dubbed the "Caspian Sea Monster") in use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSYmSnpQ360

I thought they worked well enough, except the only problem was that they couldn't really handle rough seas that you might encounter on the open ocean, so other than the Caspian Sea and a few other inland bodies of water it wasn't really usable anywhere else.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TimingBelt posted:

I hate simulated air battles more than anything. Like Armchair quarterbacking with fighter planes. It proves NOTHING.

"Blah Blah Blah Mig-29 in east german air force beat f-16 close-up in mock battle"

Means gently caress all. The 29 is very capable theoretically, but has absolutley no results.

F-16/F-15 vs Mig-29:

1991: 5(?) Mig-29 lost.
1999: 6 Mig-29's lost.

A very bizzare statistic is the fact that a flying museum-piece Mig-25 shot down an F-18 in the opening hours of desert storm using a 1960's-era Bisnovat Long range missle.

Does anybody have any further details about this incident? Did the Mig survive the war?

Also for fighter buffs, this is kind of specific, what was the last confirmed air kill for the USAF( or any modern air force) that was achieved by using the plane's Cannon?

I think the dynamics of modern air combat, much like any other form of warfare, I suppose, are much less sexy and exciting than the general public's perception. It's not a great screenplay where the USAF has the biggest radar in the sky and can see and throw BVR missiles at everyone else long before everyone else even knew what the gently caress. All these planes doing loop de loops and shooting at each other with cannons is just World War 1 stuff at this point.

Braveheart wouldn't be a very interesting movie either if half the armies realistically died of dysentery and diarrhea before getting to the battlefield.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 11, 2010

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Are the Japanese capable of manufacturing their Mitsubishi F-2 F16 derivative on their own? I thought that they were pretty keen on maintaining that capability(just in case things with America don't go so well in the future :tinfoil:).

If so, America can just import Japanese F16s if they needed a bunch of them in a hurry. :sun:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Canada could have bought an Su-35/Su-30MK variant with super-cruise, longer range, heavier payload, presumably guaranteed to start in the cold, for a lower cost than the F35. Plus, you know that every Su-35 not bought by Canada is going to end up on the other team.

Politicians screw everything up. :colbert:

EDIT: Su-35MKK. Модернизированный, Коммерческий, канадский.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 24, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Godholio posted:

Russian support is terrible and the Su-35 is 20 years old. Also the ability of the MKK to supercruise is...suspect. They have rather finnicky engines that require massive overhauls at about 1/10th the hours as their Western counterparts. Oh, and the engines are still in testing because they have a failure problem.

1/10th the hours of which western counterpart? The F35?

How feasable is it to use western engines on the airframe?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MrChips posted:

Not feasible at all. Engines and airframe are so tightly integrated that neither party would allow the other to re-engineer the aircraft to fit Western engines. As much as the Russians would love to get their hands on an F135 or the like (which won't happen), they sure as hell wouldn't let Western engineers dig around in their aircraft's computers to make it work properly.

The F15s sold to South Korea and Singapore use different engines than other F15s.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MrChips posted:

The F110 engine was designed to be close to the F100 (used in most other F-15s as well as the F-16), so there is less work needed to make it fit in an F-15 than it would be to get it to fit in an Su-27 variant. Make no mistake, though; there was still quite a bit of airframe and software work needed to make the F110 work in the F-15.

Half (probably more) the point of this whole exercise is to make work for the domestic aerospace industries. If it wasn't this it would be something else. Most buyers of these things will end up doing a lot of the assembly work in their home countries. Canada has a domestic aerospace industry, there's nothing South Korea can do that Canada can't.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Wouldn't the big jets be too fast and fly too high to have a lot of guns?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
NYPD Comissioner told the news that the NYPD already possessed the means to take down aircraft independently of any federal government assistance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/25/60minutes/main20111059_page2.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

quote:

Kelly: Well, it's something that's on our radar screen. I mean in an extreme situation, you would have some means to take down a plane.

Pelley: Do you mean to say that the NYPD has the means to take down an aircraft?

Kelly: Yes, I prefer not to get into the details but obviously this would be in a very extreme situation.

Pelley: You have the equipment and the training.

Kelly: Yes.

Later he claims he meant .50 cals on helicopters, but I desperately want to believe that the NYPD has a S-300 battery under a tarp somewhere in Central Park.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Linedance posted:

the business class Contour seats on Air Canada all have them. They're herringbone oriented pods with hard things like monitors to smack your head on in the event of a dodgy landing. I'm guessing for someone figured the same thing for the bulkhead seats on the plane you were on.

The new Ford Explorers have them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MrChips posted:

Funny thing is, the larger airlines in Russia, such as Aeroflot and Transaero, operate largely the same to any other airline in Europe or elsewhere; their occurrence rates, as a result, have not been significantly different than any major European or North American airline for the some time now.

I think they have to in order to be allowed to run routes to EU destinations? That's the reason why the national carriers of North Korea and some Sub-Saharan African countries aren't allowed to fly to Europe.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Beijing International has all the airlines split up pretty evenly between it's terminals. All the first world airlines, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, etc are in Terminal 3, the shiny brand new building. Iran National airlines, Zimbabwe Airlines, Air Koryo, Continental and Delta go into the lovely old Terminal 2 building. :downs:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

movax posted:

Aren't those the White Knights being :black101: as gently caress? The camera angle makes it look even more awesome. 3 jets in that photo that I can see.

Uh, Russian Knights, bro. Are you thinking of some subbranch of the KKK?

Also Putin just tripled Russian defence spending. and won reelection too. :ussr:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Notably, The other Russain demo team, the Strizhi, uses Mig-29s.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There's still hope for Canada to abandon the F-35 and go for Su-30MK derivatives. The longer range and payload would serve us better. I bet it starts right up as soon as you turn the key in the winter too.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ruse posted:

Using its wingitp to divert.

Using the wingtip to divert the V-1

Seriously, I can not think of anything that requires more balls. I stand and literally salute.

This is a relatively safe thing, isn't it? It's not like the thing just exploded randomly.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MagnumHB posted:

This article raised my opinion/knowledge of the Rafale quite a bit. Pretty good read.

Yes but stealth Stealth LO STEALTH STEALTH :shepface:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cygni posted:

Also the fact that Typhoon spent years as an expensive paperweight before Tranche 2 gave it any real usability.

It still doesn't have the ability to drop bombs in the goddamn rain for chrissake, and it's history of delays and horrific deployment/development speeds have vindicated the French decision. Hell, some countries are now stuck with oddball early-block Tranche 1 aircraft that can't physically be upgraded to Tranche 2 or take any of the software updates, so they will never have any air to ground capability nor compatibility with modern missiles or data links. They can essentially shoot sidewinders and that's it.

I mean it's clearly fast and maneuverable and awesome as poo poo in most ways, but if the Eurofighter partners (and A400M partners, for that matter) knew what they know now, they would have all probably walked away from the very start.

Not that they have a monopoly on incredibly late, overpriced, underwhelming developments. LCS, EFV, etc. :911:

Had a look on wikipedia and came across this gem.

quote:

In 2001, it was announced that the Royal Air Force (RAF) would not use the aircraft's internal 27 mm Mauser cannon. This was due to a desire to save money by removing gun support costs, ammunition stocks, training costs, etc. The gun was also deemed unnecessary since the missile armament was believed to be adequate in the Typhoon's fighter role. However, because removal of the cannon would affect the aircraft's flight characteristics, requiring modification of the aircraft's flight software the RAF decided that all of its Typhoons would be fitted with the cannon but that it would not be used or supported. The service argued that this would save money by reducing the requirement for ground equipment, removing training costs and avoiding the fatigue effects of firing the cannon. The RAF maintained the option to activate the cannons at very short notice were operational requirements to change.[14] However in a third change of policy, the Daily Telegraph reported on 3 October 2006 that the RAF will fully utilise the cannon.[15]

I...uh...what? :suicide:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So how about the Russian B-47/Vickers Valiant, the TU-16? The Chinese have just restarted production of Tu-16s in 2009.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 9, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I haven't flown in a while but I vaguely recall some airlines just handing out(maybe for a nominal fee) iPads or something similar for the duration of the flight? That's got to be cheaper than adding IFE to the plane.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think stuff is cheap enough nowadays that you can probably mount a GPS unit on a RC plane or some such small UAV and have it fly a pre-plotted course? How long before I can buy my own cruise missile?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 16, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the F35 can carry external stores. Suck it haters. :smug:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

iyaayas01 posted:

The -Gs that were broken up for START were only required to be laid out for observation for 90 days...after that they could scrap the metal, and did. The only BUFFs that appear to be there are intact -H models that are for spare parts to keep the rest of the fleet flying.

Besides the :lol: war with China :lol: aspect of it, I guess I don't understand what's supposedly "laughable" about that. That's a pretty standard description for how the U.S. would wage an air campaign against someone, and for most of the '90s China was stuck with '70s and '80s technology, which necessarily limited their tactics when going up against an adversary with top of the line equipment. The extremely rapid modernization of the PLAAF and PLAN has really only been since 2000 or so.

What have they got now that isn't '70s and '80s technology? The S300 and Su-27 are from that time. It's better to say that they had 1960s Mig-21-era technology in the 1990s.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

slidebite posted:

Well, the poo poo is really hitting the fan in Canada over the F35 today.

An auditors report is absolutely crucifying the DnD (Department of defense) about basically lying and bullshitting about the whole thing and fixing the process from the get go.

The Government is expected to rapidly fall into face saving mode (pretty tough) and taking away pretty much all decision responsibility from the military.

Who knows. We might get an open competition after all.

I am more than a little disappointed that the Military was apparently hiding and lying about this.. and as a right leaner disappointed that the Government was seemingly and maybe willingly blind to it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/02/f35-auditor-general-report.html

So I don't follow the Canadian politics thread becuase it's just a bunch of Toronto babbies whining about Toronto bullshit that doesn't concern me, but why is the conservative government being nailed here when it was the liberals who got us on the wagon? I'm for the NDP so it's nice that the cons are getting held to the fire but whats happened here

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there another thread or series of posts about the F35 somewhere that I can read? I was to keep posting more more MORE about the F35 forever but this thread probably doesn't want to hear about it. :negative:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phanatic posted:

What do people do in airport terminals when they want to sit down but all the seats are taken? Well, the human thing to do is to sit on the floor and lean back against a wall. But not at FRA, no sir. Because about 4 inches up from the floor, exactly where your lower back would come into contact with the wall were you to do this, a steel bar which juts out about 6" has been mounted, for no other purpose than to prevent people from sitting on the floor and leaning back against the wall:

Denazification did not go far enough. There's no other explanation.

It looks to me more like the steel bar is there to stop luggage carts/trolleys from hitting and marking up the walls, but engaging the wheels first. Supermarkets have similar devices do they not?

EDIT: I suppose there shouldn't be luggage carts inside the terminal, maybe the staff/janitors use carts or something?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Uh oh, the Italians are going to turn tail again.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
One of the fatalities may have been killed by a firetruck.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...+Top+Stories%29

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO – An autopsy is scheduled Monday to determine whether one of the two 16-year-old girls killed in the crash of Asiana Airlines Flight 214 died of injuries sustained when she was run over by arriving emergency vehicles or from the plane crash itself.

San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault says he was told there was a possibility one of the victims may have sustained fatal injuries from a source "other than the airplane crash."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Calgary Transit buses have recaro seats for the driver.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Delivering to consumers seem like a stretch but this sounds like it could be plausible for deliveries between warehouses/distribution centers? With routes that are well established before hand and a dedicated personel/facilities for loading and unloading I see it could replace the guys doing deliveries between warehouses inside a big metro area.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a Mig-31 with a bunch of gopro cameras flying around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIYMyZowQV0

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Some idiots keep tossing out the idea that THE A-10 can't handle the MANPADS THREAT BRO. Which is obviously retarded as LO is designed as a radar threat defense, not IR. Slap some IR absorbant paint on an A-10 and it will handle the situation just as well as any other aircraft currently in the sky. We helicopters are down in the dirty every single day and we handle it - why do people think an A-10 is suddenly such a vulnerable shitheap?

The F-35 will have the exact same problem, when it comes to anything but an early war (pre SEAD/DEAD) situation.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the argument I've seen made numerous times?

Well a helicopter is just a small truck that can fly a little, they're not really as big ticket an item as jets. The US lost like 6,000+ helicopters over Vietnam and it ain't no thang. :c00lbert:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 25, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So I'm a shitbird with a university degree but not very good marks and anyway I hate that subject(finance). Should I take the AIRCRAFT STRUCTURES TECHNICIAN at SAIT and then fix planes for a living? It sounds kind of cool and I've generally been interested in the field since I was young but life sort of took me in other directions. I had some friends in the army who make pretty good livings fixing planes and even get to travel to exotic locales to do it. My parents both work in the UAE so it might be cool if that worked out. I don't drink or do anything else intoxicating and am mostly vegetarian so life under Shari'a is actually pretty appealing.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 29, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Linedance posted:

What the other guys say is true, unless you go in to avionics. Realistically the Canadian AME licence isn't very portable and the -S even less so, even though the trade is in demand. That being said, the stuff you will learn will keep you employed as long as you want to work, and the scope of structures extends well beyond the aircraft industry. If you want portability, go for maintenance or avionics, then write your EASA B1/B2 license and make boatloads of money working in the desert for horrible bosses.

I see that SAIT offers programs in both maintenance and avionics. That's the way to go then? The maintenance one is 2 years.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So when am I going to see a V22 do a Pukachev Cobra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Why is putting a radar on a V-22 crazy? How are the Marines going to defend Henderson Field without VTOL AWACs?