Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

DoLittle posted:

The Bugatti air racer is very pretty and unique:

:gizz:

"gently caress practicality, we are going to build the most beautiful airplane the world will ever know!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I just found this in my pictures and didn't really know why I saved it, so here's another Skyraider pic! :woop:

:drat: I had no idea how slow the Skyraider was.

# Maximum speed: 322 mph (280 kn, 518 km/h) at 18,000 ft (5,500 m)
# Cruise speed: 198 mph (172 kn, 319 km/h)

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

FullMetalJacket posted:

does anyone else miss fighter ace 2?

i spent alot of time in 109's and yak 9's. oh my teenage years...

Fighter Ace 3 was the poo poo, although personally I was more a fan of the La-7. God damned American planes with their spray and pray machine guns with a million billion rounds...

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

little fuckers

I don't know if you meant this literally or not, but the La-7 was almost identical in size to, say, a P-51. Alot better looking, too.

The REAL little fucker was the I-16.

Hand-cranked landing gear, in WWII. :black101:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

decahedron posted:

The only reason the I-16 was around in WWII was because the Russians were idiots. It was obsolete by '38.

The only thing it was ever good for in FA3 was dogfights with 109E's and Zeros. I've always had a soft spot for the little guy though.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

It's a drat modern-day Gee Bee. Except, you know, with twin supercharged V-8's, and counter-rotating props.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Sterndotstern posted:

So if I'm understanding correctly, there are two options for building a SSTO lifter:

1) Use a rocket but lug your oxidizer around with you. This has the advantage of simplicity and atmosphere/speed independence, but taking oxidizer requires a heavier fuselage to carry more weight, which in turn requires more fuel, leading quickly to larger scale craft and increased fuel requirements for a given payload.

2) Use a turbine/ram/scramjet hybrid to burn air to attain orbital speed in the atmosphere. This has the advantage of being relatively efficient for a given payload mass, since a higher ratio of the lifter's loaded weight is used for payload (versus fuel). The drawbacks include the need for a separate thrust system in order to function without atmospheric oxygen and the obvious (significant) engineering hurdles involved in building a craft powered by four separate paradigms of propulsion which must survive mach 25+ speeds within the atmosphere.

Sound about right?

^^^ Fine, how about some UGLY radial engines in charming but ugly helicopters:

Even though it's a funny place to stick a rotary engine in a heli, I suppose Sikorsky had his reasons for using a 1931-vintage engine for his otherwise modern chopper...

Jesus... I'd really love to see the shaft arrangement in that thing.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

River Raid posted:

One of my dad's friends used to fly H-34s. Said he would piss the bed at night everytime he even thought about having to put one down in water. Since the pilots sit so loving high and the balance of it making it immediately flip when it touches down in it.

I'd be more worried about the driveshaft whirling around between me and my copilot.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

While this picture is boner-inducing on it's own, I posted it to seek an answer to a long-standing question: What the heck are those little winglets hanging down below the ailerons? All of the Red Bull Air Race planes seem to have them.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Nerobro posted:

Those are aerodynamic balances. They help offset the forces on control surfaces as air speeds increase.

I kind of figured it was something to that effect. I'd imagine those planes just have cable controls?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Nerobro posted:

I'm accustomed to seeing mass balances inside the wings themselves, and aerodynamic balances at the wingtips. You'll see them quite commonly on elevators and rudders.

I"m saying that spade isn't there for CG reasons. The spade is there for CF reasons.

I'd imagine the use of a spade makes more sense due to the length and high aspect ratio of the control surface. Using an aerodynamic ballance in the middle of an alerion is going to have less flutter and torque issues than you'd find in a nice stocky control surface like a rudder, where using the tip for aerodynamic balance is very common.

Also it's a pretty sweet picture. I love the livery on these planes:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

grover posted:

Not technically an aircraft, but it flies at Mach 7 and will travel about 250 miles and I think warrants a mention here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfU-wMwL2U

I want to know more about the camera that got that tracking shot of the projectile flying at Mach 7 after it left the building.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

Also, there was FST - Flight Simulator Toolkit I believe - that let you mess around with building your own planes. I do recall having trouble making anything that actually flew. Of course, I was in middle school. And usually stuck a dozen massive engines on what amounted to a twig. It was fun watching it spaz out!

I think this is what the entire X-Plane franchise is for.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

On the subject of starting up airliners, I've noticed a weird noise several times, always on Airbuses. Usually around the time we are taxiing to the runway, it sounds like an electric screwjack being tightened down to the shutoff point, over and over again a few dozen times. My first though was maybe fuel transfer pumps, but why wouldn't they just let them run rather than just bumping them over and over?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Yep, that's the sound alright. Although that thread doesn't really clear it up.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone ever been to Pima? I'm going to be in Tucson for vacation and I was planning to set aside a day for it.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

eggyolk posted:

I'm assuming the sonic boom gets drowned out by the SRBs?

"sonic boom" isn't created by an aircraft breaking any "barrier" also you can't hear it from behind, hope this helps

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

really

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

cyclobenzaprine (a muscle relaxant) and diphenhydramine (i.e. Benadryl)

how the gently caress was this guy even awake

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

My naval architecture teacher used to joke that ships are designed from the propeller out; I assume it's the same for airplanes. Propeller science is ridiculously complex.

hadler?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's a little quiet, thread. Haev images:

Going to be here again in two weeks and I can NOT wait.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Kilonum posted:

Not for me, closer to $40 to PVD via cab and train.

PVD is also about the best little airport there is

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Good lord, the Privateer was goofy looking:

they have one of these in a hangar at Pima

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

been playing around in flight sims a lot lately and wow it is incredible what the FMC in the 737/747/777 is capable of

http://www.b737.org.uk/fmc.htm

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Discovered a surprise mini-airshow yesterday after I saw a B-17 fly over my house. Full album here, largely not ruined by boneheaded photog mistakes

I crawled through that B-17 when they were in Barnstable (why the hell were they at my local in the middle of a work week???)

Kind of amazing how small the inside of that plane is, I don't think I could get to the tail gun if I tried.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

they have one of these at Pima

e: i had never heard of or seen one but I made a pretty good guess what it was before I read the plaque

sandoz fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 12, 2017

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

gee bee jelqed

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

marilyn lockHEED

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

my uncle works at nintendo and he says it's totally real guys

why would you even question this

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

With the NYT/WaPo they are not wrong

lol

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

never knew the president was an accomplished aviation history poster

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

priznat posted:

Dornier Do-31 and it rules

Also I like how the Luftwaffe was so hot and heavy for no runway takeoffs they strapped a rocket to a F-104G https://theaviationist.com/2018/01/12/that-time-the-luftwaffe-experimented-with-a-rocket-launched-f-104g-starfighter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3YueCf1JeI&t=36s

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, after staring at this for several minutes, I'll bite: what is :drat:-worthy about this pic? Unless it's just that it's a slick as hell FMS.

136kt tailwind

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

i posted mine without cheating and reading the previous page

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

HookedOnChthonics posted:

:toot: Pimp My Bomber: B-17 Edition is out :toot:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

i think i actually got the season's pass for that game too

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Plinkey posted:

I have a ~40 minute drive to and from work every day, and most podcasts are like 45 minutes. So I'm hanging in the right lane in my Focus ST these days.

what's your mpg, i was cross shopping ST's this summer

when i'm cruising at the speed limit my Si gets 42-45

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Nerobro posted:

I get worse gas mileage with my Focus ST than I did with my Mazda 6 V6. By a couple mpg.

I get better gas mileage in my 2018 Si than I did in my 2015 Fit, go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

vessbot posted:

Ooh another fun one. The pneumatic start on Yaks. It's not a turbine on the accesory drive like typical air starters, it's air going through the intake manifold distributed into the cylinders like an intake mixture, and pushes the pistons down, on what's normally the intake stroke, to turn the engine over. Not gonna work if you use nitrogen!

this is how all modern low-speed diesel engines are started, and many medium-speed and large high-speed diesels also

e: also seen 4000-series MTU's with compressed-air powered crank starters

sandoz fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 1, 2018