Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

my favorite exhibit at the royal canadian whatever in ontario a few years ago.

lancaster bomber. still flying. one of 2 in the world.

yes those pans on the floor were catching leaking oil from the engines. it was made in england, you know.

ARRR! That be the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Mount Hope, Ontario! I tend to go every year on Fathers Day to watch 'em all gently caress around. I love the sound and the smell of that 100LL exhaust fumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Y'alls want an ex-Howard Hughes plane? I didn't even know there were any B-23's left...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Doug...=item2a04d7422d

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

silversiren posted:

Hot piss! Soooooo many Merlins!

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

The Antonov used to come in at Toronto/Pearson all the time when I was working there. I then noticed that it had stopped coming, or came at some time real early in the morning. Always a big pleasure to watch those takeoff/land. Also watched an Ilyushin Il-76 takeoff from very closeup.

Sorry for the cellphone photo

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

God its like watching a manta ray swim... in the sky

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Every Wednesday night I would watch the show religiously. I wish the Discovery Wings channel still existed... I was mighty pissed when I saw it became the Military Channel. I also remember when Speed was Speedvision and certain days of the week were planes and others boats/motorcycles etc.

I miss those shows...

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

I posted a thread in Ask/Tell a week or two ago but no one responded: Is anyone in here an AME? I am going to school in the fall to become a AME and I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences about the training and what it is like to work on the job.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

No no no AME = Aircraft Maintenance Engineer!

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

No I am a Canadian. That is the only term I hear mot of the time. My course is a 2 year program, then 2 year on the job. Once I have done those 4 years, I can write my Transport Canada exam and become a fully licensed AME. I can't even loving wait. I have loved planes all my live and love to work on poo poo. I figure it would be the most ideal job I could ever have.

:sax:

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

I am going to Centennial College out in Scarborough. Where are you located? Somewhere in Western Canada by the looks of it. Dudeman at the open house said I should be making no less than $60,000 and up to $150,000 or more.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

I want to stay in Ontario. I love it too much here. I want to live in the Barrie area and get myself a 26' boat from the 1970's. I have a plan all figured out. The head guyface said that we should expect at least 60k. I am only going on what he said. Plus I saw something on a gov.ca type site saying that about 60k is the average income for that career type.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Well yeah I could see that (the manager thing). I still look forward to fixing them there planes!

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

herman391 posted:

I'm graduating the program at Centennial College in a few weeks (just finished my final classes today actually, exams start next week). I was afraid you were going to say Centennial from your first post. The program is what you make of it, you can learn a lot of theory, and some of the teachers are great, but you won't get much from the hands on stuff if your already mechanically inclined.

The planes you get to work on in the hangar are in very good shape, missing enough pieces that you can't even fully do the projects that are laid out for you. If your like me and want to try to fix up some of the planes when your finished projects early, you won't be able to find hardware in stores because there isn't anything useful/ fits and they won't buy parts to replace the broken ones because there are students who don't care and just break things; ruining it for the ones who do care.

With that said, I don't want to discourage you, like I said you can learn a heck of a lot of theory, and there's some great teachers that will teach you as much as you want to know if you show the initiative. But you won't get the full value of the hands on stuff because of the state the planes are in. I know exactly who told you the wage numbers, from what I gather from some people in the industry, they aren't far off once your licensed.

Your going in at the right time though, changes are coming to the program supposedly, so things might be a little bit different next year. Plus by the time you graduate the job market should open back up again. I went in at the wrong time and can't find a job anywhere, sent out 40 resumes and have heard back from one company but it's not very promising. Also, unless you're very luck or know someone, jobs are always hard to come by in the GTA, go north (way north) or west for a few years get your license and then come back.

If you want I can give you some more information, just ask.

Yeah I would love some more info! Fire away to bentley432 at hotmail

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

River Raid posted:

It's known by the RAF as a NIMROD. It's essentially the same concept as a JSTAR but far better looking

I was there many years ago when that one Nimrod decided to plow into Lake Ontario. One of the weirdest days ever...

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Watch this in HD to get full effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORVibQMaTs8

A flight in a B-17G from Chester County Airport in PA to Albany International in NY.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

In a similar line, I have the biggest hardon for the OMNR (Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources). These wonderful yellow birds are busy year round be it putting out fires, or checking ice in the winter.

Disclaimer: Some (read most) of the aircraft pictured are no longer in service, but they rock so hard they need to be pictured

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

I wish! That would be rad... but to my knowledge they don't

edit: Does anyone know when the Canadian reg switched from CF to C? There is something nice about seeing a CF-OOO reg...

DiscoDickTease fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 31, 2010

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

This is somewhat recent and it was live fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiYDP74HIEs

One of my favourite aircraft of my youth

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Great documentary about a cool dude who wanted to make wacky planes for my countries airforce many years ago. Also he restores awesome warbirds!

From the NFB site

"This documentary is about Bob Diemert of Carman, Manitoba, and his dream of building the world's next great fighter plane. His worldwide reputation as a genius at restoring "warbirds" enables him to finance his dream. The Defender is a lively, sometimes wild and funny, tale about a remarkable, modern-day folk hero."

http://www.nfb.ca/film/defender/

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

FullMetalJacket posted:

just lettin the internet know that I MUTHAFUCKIN GRADUATED! my AME S course. now the fun part is trying somewhere that will let me fondle their airplanes.

Nice! I will only be done my first year of just the regular AME program at the end of the month. I can't wait to be done!

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

To continue with the theme of pilots not giving a poo poo: The Pilot song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__s4OMTVyhI

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Fancy a real P-51 renamed with all the good stuff?

Check out the AP-51 Palomino

http://www.flugwerk.de/html/page.php?GID=20&SID=5

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

D C posted:

Was in Yellowknife working last week, the airshow was on Saturday and Sunday, since I was working with the Ice Pilots guys I got a chance to get nice and close. Just wish I had my camera.

At the beginning of August I am heading up there as an apprentice to Buffalo Airways. I was just talking to Rod today as he had been on holiday for a while. I;m excited/nervous as gently caress to work there. I love the old planes but its far as poo poo away from everyone I know and love here in Ontario.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Better start making the CF-104's again!

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

PhotoKirk posted:

I saw a Nimrod at the Houston air show several year back. Loudest plane I've ever heard. Ugly too.

I think the Nimrod might be the only aircraft that is offensive to every sense.

I had the "pleasure" of watching one of these plow into Lake Ontario back in 1996. I was just mad I didn't get to see the rest of the airshow

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

ehnus posted:

There's a regularly-used waterbombing Martin Mars that uses Wasp Major engines, I guess they have found some source of fuel for it?

It has Wright R-3350s, not Wasp Majors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Sounds like she got into planes about the same time I did. She rules btw