Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Psion posted:

Is there a flight tracking site which does historical data so I can look up what flew overhead yesterday or something? I don't need more than about 24hr of rewind but apparently a trio of Loud Planes went overhead and I want to see what they were
You can see replays on adsbexchange using the replay parameter:
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?replay=2022-06-04-15:34&lat=36.333&lon=-121.123&zoom=9.8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

A week ago I got to fly on 'G Force One' a 727 which provides parabolic flights to simulate zero G, NASA puts experiments on it, but more often people pay $8000 for a giant rollercoaster in the sky. Unlike all the usual puff pieces about floating around and doing backflips in zero g, I arranged to go and talk to the pilots in the cockpit afterwards and that for me is the coolest part of this video, the 727 they fly was built in 1976, it still has steam gauges for most of its primary instruments and an engineers station to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M67YP-f-LyI

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I like the frankly Cobra-esque buildings under the glass dome

So if you wanted to build a stonking-ly gigantic aero engine, would turbines even work? I'm guessing it is really, like, super important the turbine doesn't turn faster than the speed of sound.

Nah plenty of jet engine turbine blade tips exceed the speed of sound, subsonic blade tips are more efficient, but it’s worth paying the penalty for overall engine performance. Also lots of the consequences of supersonic blade tips don’t happen because the shroud stops things like blade tip vortices stealing energy and making lots of noise.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Not sure if this is authentic - but this looks like a fairly low tech jet build https://youtu.be/-8SNfVgm-Zg

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

The term originated from Usenet, I want to say that Scott Manley popularized it early in his KSP video phase and then it later became an Official Space Term when NASA deliberately crashed a probe into the moon

NASA’s plans for returning samples from Mass involves lithobraking, the capsule is going to land back on earth without a parachute because it removes the possibility of parachute failure.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

The cirrus I fly has an autopilot with the aviation equivalent of a screensaver timeout, if you’re above altitudes where oxygen may be needed and you stop doing things on the control panel it’ll alert you, and if you don’t respond it’ll descend to lower altitudes.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Test pilot stories - how to fly formation with a lifting body test vehicle that drops like a rock

* F-16
* 3 *empty* external tanks
* gear down right at load limits
* speed brake deployed manually
* forward slip at 300 kts.

https://twitter.com/Stuck4ger/status/1633793825305948160?s=20

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Regarding holding the yoke too tightly, the most important trick I learned was ‘look ma, no hands’ - if you can take your hands off the controls during straight and level flight, during downwind or even final then you’ve set the trim right and everything else is going to be easier.
I can look back at this and see it was when my landing started getting great.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

I encountered this on an Airbus 330-200 from Manchester to Vegas back in July 2019, it was Thomas Cook who stopped flying in September 2019, I’m not sure if any of them moved to new carriers and maintained the configuration.

You can see the toilet deck in this video.
https://youtu.be/yWHsQqMKT4c

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Regarding autopilots automatically descending when the pilots are inactive - my dinky little Cirrus has this feature, it’s like a screensaver, if there’s no buttons pushed, or other inputs at altitude it’ll display an idle warning, and a few minutes after that it’ll descend. Max altitude is only 17500 (Turbo will get to 25k).

It doesn’t have a pressurized cabin you’re just supposed to wear masks.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

And Virgin Galactic who are expected to fly tomorrow.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

I grew up near Prestwick airport in Scotland, and I remember at least once the Concorde was part of the air show, they were selling tickets for a quick flight above Mach one, I presume it headed out over the sea went supersonic and then came home. But you could also sign up for a limited number of free tickets that would let you board the Concorde and walk down the aisle.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Also you can't carry passengers just with a solo endorsement. You need a minimum of 40 hours to fly the check ride and get a real license.

Sport Pilot Cert only requires 20 hours and you can carry one passenger.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

As someone working on experience requirements for IFR, I’m amused that these endurance flights take off and land at the same airfield so don’t qualify as cross country time.
This is especially hilarious with Voyager which circumnavigated the globe, but never landed at a field 50miles from point of origin.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Scott Manley did a video on NASA's WB-57F: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFUc0GAg9iE

Technically I did a video on the Canberra Bombers which were parked at an untowered field I regularly visit, and wanted to link in the WB-57 because most of my audience is space fans.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

I've often said the iPhone AirDrop feature is great.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Relevant to thread title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7MP3SQWZDc

(probably faked but who knows?)

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Airplanes generally, and I really cannot overstate this; Tristars specifically do NOT like to be parked.

They might have such a low launch cadence because of that damned airplane.

Nah the Pegasus is uncompetitive as a launch vehicle, they were the low cost option in the 1990’s but SpaceX managed to bid lower for the IXPE mission despite the Falcon 9 being about 25times heavier than the Pegasus.

Northrop Grumman just haven’t officially admitted that it’s dead yet.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Regarding Flight 3701 - the 41,000 club - I made a video a while back about ‘Things flight instructors taught me which were wrong’ and this situation lines up with a misunderstanding that I’ve seen with multiple flight instructors and ATPs.

‘When an aircraft is at its service ceiling, how fast is it flying’

And the common, wrong, answer is its moving at its stall speed, which seems logical since the plane is at the limit of being able to maintain altitude.
However, it’s actually moving at its ‘best climb’ speed. Now the smart people out there might ask Vx or Vy? And the answer is it doesn’t matter because the absolute ceiling of an aircraft happens when best rate and best angle of climb intersect on the performance chart.

An aircraft moving slower than the ideal climb speed is on the back side of the power curve, meaning that is AoA is so high that it’s generating extra drag, there are speeds which are faster where it could generate the same lift but with less drag.

So if you climb to the aircraft’s ceiling and are below the ideal climb speed you’re fighting a losing battle against drag and will slow down until the aircraft stalls.

(Most pilots have way more experience than myself at being a pilot, and they’re objectively superior pilots to myself with only 170 hours, I respect everything they can teach me. BUT I’ve had 35 years of being a physics nerd, and all those boring graphs in FAA publications speak to me)

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Murgos posted:

Figure out where the snack bar is and be ready to dump wife, MIL and kids there about 90 minutes in for an hour so you can actually view the exhibition.

You can probably game the system a bit by keeping the five year old with you for an extra 30 minutes before dropping him off so that by the time he’s been snacked up and rested you’ll get a bit more time out of the visit.

Last time I was there the snack bar was still closed.

Bring kids out to the 747 and try to go through some checklist games with them flipping switched and stuff going through some imaginary flight, once they get started they can spend way too much time doing that on their own.

For me the coolest things are the NASA AD-1, the Boeing Condor and all the weird Hiller aviation designs most of which never entered production.

And being a space nerd the Gemini era Astronaut Maneuvering Unit is extra special, it used Hydrogen peroxide, rather than compressed nitrogen so it offered 3x the delta V of the shuttle MMU’s. But the only test in space was called off after Gene Cernan found himself exhausted by just trying to get strapped in.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

standard.deviant posted:

I believe it was “didn’t realize the autopilot was off, got slow, stalled, didn’t recover from stall”

Teenage boy in left seat, girl in right seat. Boy applied some force to the yoke, overriding the autopilot which disengaged control of the ailerons. The plane slowly rolled and nobody noticed until it reached about 45 degrees, by which point the autopilot was pulling up to maintain altitude, so people were feeling extra G loading. Few tried to get kids out of the seats, and get in, but g loads made this harder.
Aircraft slowed, disengaged autopilot, went into a steep dive, the co-pilot got into his seat and pulled out of the dive, but he overcompensated, ended up nose high, stalled, spun and failed to recover.

One gem that I remember was that if they’d just let go of the controls during the spin the aircraft would have recovered naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Voyager flew around the world, and returned to its departure airport.

Which means it technically didn’t qualify as a cross country flight under FAR 61.1