Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

A classic. I believe last time I saw this, the story also came out that there was a modification to the engine, and someone had specifically warned that the front would fall off but the owner ignored that advice.

According to the description in this video, a larger engine was installed against the manufacturer's recommendation, and with no additional reinforcement. The owner has very wisely decided to retain the non-recommended engine but with additional reinforcement so he can keep on Jerrying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5yscm9dsI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

BalloonFish posted:

Some interesting information tidbits:

1) A Merlin engine had 14,000 individual components in it. A complete Packard automobile had 7,100.
2) Production of a Merlin required over 80,000 individual machining operations in total, across the production of all its parts.
3) Making the upper half of the crankcase on a Merlin required 77 machines performing 108 individual operations.
4) A single Merlin connecting rod required 31 standard hours of work to produce, while a Packard car con-rod took 0.5 hrs.
5) A Merlin cylinder block (of which it has two) required 110 hours of work, versus five hours for a car block.
6) Merlin crankshaft - 45 hours. Packard car crankshaft - 4.5 hours.

This is probably apocryphal as well, but I heard that Packard helped Rolls Royce with some of these things in particular. The way Rolls Royce made a lot of these parts was basically like a job shop. There was a lot of time that was spent in setup for the machining, that's where the "skilled craftsmanship" came in. Packard and resident engineers from Rolls Royce worked together to developed fixturing, tooling, processes to cut down on manufacturing time.

This was an anecdote told as part of GD&T training in regards to design for manufacturability. I've never been able to verify it because anything I can find is just the "Brits don't know about tolerances" story.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Also I wonder what the magnification on that lens is; it looks like the FW-190 being tailed is like 6 feet away

The gun cameras are usually super 16s 16mm with 35mm lenses. Napkin math says 35mm focal length / 10.26mm film width * 34ft FW190 wingspan = ~115ft away when the wings span the frame, maybe 150ft for most of the hits.

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 27, 2020

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Thanks for turning me on to Raptor Aircraft. After seeing the test flight video, I had to go back to see how it was designed and started binging every video on the channel from the beginning. So far it's been 90% CNC machining of foam and 10% me thinking "that's a future AD." I don't know a lot about planes, but I know enough to know he doesn't either.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

e: I would put money down that the air-cooled Volkswagen van motor in Tiira 1 is more reliable than this guy's homebrew modded diesel with backwards turbos

Did he give a reason for the two turbos?

I'm up to July 2018 of the videos on his YouTube channel. He keeps running the engine for an hour then plugging numbers into a spreadsheet to figure he's getting 360hp. Wild.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Also, go to 20:35 for a cheeky cameo

:vince:

I have been continuing to watch the Raptor videos. I'm on Oct 15, 2019 now, so about a year's worth to go before I'm completely caught up. It is pretty amazing that he gives semiweekly updates, there's a lot of stuff to see! Almost every video during and after the move to the hangar has a pretty big head scratcher moment.

I liked these:

Moving from the workshop to the hangar (good stuff around 2:00):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVC5qmYRdsk

After the test pilot's first look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSAC5EAe2HI

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I've been through CLT so many times that I don't even notice having to hoof it to another zip code to make my connection anymore. Where's the Smashburger?

I've only been through 35X in DCA and am completely indifferent to it now.

Air travel has broken me.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I see your comment

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Don't forget that before he decided to add a radiator/intercooler in the nose, his solution was to add header tanks to the heater circuit so that it would just take longer to overheat.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I turned a pilot I know on to Jerry and she loves him. One thing she asked me "Is he an instructor?" Nope! But he sure thinks he is! Whenever he's in the right seat, he's telling the left seat how to fly. She noticed it right away.

I was trying to find the video where he sold his 414 and flew right seat with the new owner. Jerry did something like not fill one of the tanks to teach the guy how to switch tanks. Really wish I had the foresight to save that one.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unz6mfjS4ws

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Tag yourself. I'm the giant AGM in the center.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Re: LS in a 172. How does putting an uncertified engine in a certified airframe work?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

I think you tell the FAA you’re developing it as a product and bam it’s experimental? https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/may/07/aircraft-maintenance-explaining-experimental

You have to abandon your previous certificate though and product development is temporary so have fun with that.

Ah, I think that article explains it. I've always heard that a certified airframe is forever a certified airframe. So it's one of those things where it's technically not true, but practically is.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Anybody have experience partnering on a plane? (maybe I should post this in the other thread, but there's lots of overlap) I've found a good partner, and we're shopping 180s and older 182s. We're going to go all out with a legal entity and bylaws and a lawyer, even though for now it's just the two of us and we're aligned on what kind of plane we want, and what type of flying we'll be doing over the next 10 or so years.

I don't have any advice on partnering, but when I was looking at planes a few years ago 205/6/7s were almost in the price range of a lot of 180/2/5s which seem to have a premium. Might be worth opening your search a little in case a screaming deal comes up.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Absolutely, always crunch the numbers. It's just that when I did, the numbers were mostly "this could work, it's not out of the budget" and the planes are pretty similar. I was also looking at only 182s, so it was much more comparing like for like, complex HP and no tail wheel endorsement. I was also interested in good radios and avionics, which seemed more prevalent in the bigger planes.

I talked to someone else at the time who was also shopping 182s, and their response to a 206 was "yeah, the numbers don't not work." I'm just saying don't rule them out completely.

Also note I didn't buy any of the planes I looked at

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 11, 2021

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Was it a joke about old planes having screens instead of filters?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
If you are willing to put in work, you can refurbish headsets yourself.

Sometimes you can find broken Bose X headsets on eBay for cheap, particularly ones with broken stirrups (the wishbone that holds the earpiece to the headpiece). eBay some 3d printed stirrups and grab new mic covers and ear cushions from Sports/MyPilotStore/Aircraft Spruce/wherever.

The venerable David Clark H10 can be dirt cheap as well. Sometimes people just give them away.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I don't think I've ever heard of one being sold as surplus, but some Pilatus PC-9s (the plane it's based off of) have. There is a PC-7 on trade-a-plane for under a million.
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Turboprop&make=PILATUS&model=PC-7&listing_id=2392607&s-type=aircraft

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
If it's like a V22, it'll turn the surface into FOD

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Cat Hatter posted:

How much of that is an Osprey problem vs say a Chinook?

My understanding is that it's very much an Osprey problem. It's outside my wheelhouse and I'd appreciate a technical explanation.

My guess is that a Chinook and Osprey have about the same weight, and the Chinook has about twice the rotor area. So to get the same lift, the Osprey rotors need to be whipping around fast as poo poo, which generates tons of vortices off the rotor tips.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

Chinook rotor RPM: 225 at 100% power

Osprey rotor RPM: 412 in helicopter mode

That is a lot slower than I thought. I remember reading the rotor tips would reach slightly transonic speeds, but that appears to be not true at all.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

Juicy bullshit confessionals: I spent more than a decade telling people that the T-6 prop tips go supersonic at takeoff, and that signature roar sound is dozens of shockwaves per second. Only recently did I actually calculate it. Spoiler alert, it's bullshit.

I thought the same thing about the V22 until a couple days ago

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

The kicker is that it’s going in an airplane where you don’t really care about low-RPM boost or turbo lag, so you can just stick the biggest turbo the engine can spin on there so you have the extra compressor capacity when ambient pressure goes down. Sequential turbocharging exists in aerospace, but it’s rare as gently caress, since a single big turbo is generally plenty until you go high enough that you’re probably using a turbine engine anyway.

But if you just use another turbo, you can turbo normalize your turbo engine. Now it's at sea level all the time. Bing bong so simple.
Here's the video where he explains his turbo setup. It really does a good job of documenting his engineering design tools: reading websites, Excel, CAD modeling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh-ClOSuoEc

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I like this video about the TU-22 and it's alcohol use. The booze stuff starts at 15:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKoHMXggEHU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Noise canceling headphones are worth the price just to drown out the constant begging for you to sign up for credit cards.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
They don't force me to take them off for the safety talk. They don't even make me take them off when briefing me in an exit row. I fly almost exclusively American, but it is the same for Delta. At least they've stopped having the FAs traipse up and down the aisles with the paper applications.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
The best part about traveling is that there's an Irish pub everywhere

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Welp, sucks to hear that he's a real rear end in a top hat. I liked the couple times he was on Flight Chops.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
But it worked in The Langoliers!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I thought it was in Ukraine, but I just checked Wikipedia and it has a source saying Antonov sold it and it was to be completed in China.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

I had to google it. I've never had the pleasure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_lounge

Been on several buses out to the apron though. I guess it's something I missed out on flying to Reagan when went to DC. :shrug:

No mobile lounges AND they closed gate 35X. Why even bother with Reagan now?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I think it's gone for good*. I was surprised I didn't have to go through it last time I connected through Reagan, but apparently it's been closed for almost a year. AA has a new concourse now to replace it.
*Until they need more gates again

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I went through KC once before 9/11. Not quite the 60s experience of stepping out of a car and into a plane, but the closest I'll ever experience.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I used to fly a lot out of GSO so I'm pretty used to the 145s. Get the single seat and flip the window armrest up.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I'm a lil manlet at about 5'8" tall and 5'8" wide. Legroom is rarely an issue for me, but the 145 is tight. It's an absolute must to get your bag in an overhead in the single seat.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I saw this on random waffle

RIP

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I've been trying to track planes overhead this week, and I've spotted F15s, F16s, and F18s that did not show up on flightradar. Saw some T34s that did.

Saw an F117 a couple weeks ago that didn't show up on flightradar either. :tinfoil:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I remember watching a documentary on The Bomb in high school, and one of the bombardiers in testing would miss his target because he'd get excited and stick his rear end in the air before releasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lord Stimperor posted:

He shifts his position relative to the bomb sight and looks at it through a different angle?

Yeah. You hunch over the bombsight to use it, he would basically lock his legs straight as if standing up.
This video shows how the bombardier should be seated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHeL-TitKuo&t=500s

Cojawfee posted:

There were all kinds of cool analog computers in WWII. Except for the Norden bombsight. They claimed it could drop a bomb into a pickle barrel. But if that were true, why were they still doing carpet bombing that hit way more than the intended target?

The Norden bombsight is still a really cool analog computer. The Norden marketing team is not so cool. The US Norden and Sperry, British SABS, and German Lotfernrohr bombsights are all similarly cool examples of the same concepts.