Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

e.pilot posted:

ASI guy on Reddit is on the case.

Sorry, what is an/the ASI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

They really ought to just market it as a built in auto landing feature.

If I'm reading this right I can get free Flightradar24 business level stuff for plugging one a USB dohickey in one of my Pis and letting them use the data. Is that correct? Any reason I wouldn't want to do this? I have a half dozen of the things lying around doing nothing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I do that with FlightAware, it kicks rear end.

Sweet, I didn't realize they did that as well. I assume there is no reason I couldn't do both concurrently?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 18, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is it safe to assume the F-14 at the very end is CGI? Are there any non Iran Tomcats flying today?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Any idea what’s going on here? My best guess is crop dusting. The prop to the south had a similar pattern as well. I want to say that’s all farmland, but China are assholes about GPS data.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well my dongle, filter, and antenna came in for my Pi plane tracking nonsense and it's been a low grade nightmare of troubleshooting for the last 12 hours. Is anyone here familiar enough with the tech stack being used to help me stumble through this? Most of the directions are written for folks that have never seen a CLI so drilling down on some of these issues is a right pain in the rear end.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

helno posted:

Those setups are pretty simple and should not require any command line stuff.

Image the SD card
Add any wifi settings to the file on the card
insert the radio
Connect the antenna
Power it up
Claim it in flightaware

True, but you forgot one critical part, the configuration. FA's stuff was actually pretty straightforward and I've had it running for a day or so now. FR24's was a bugbear of a pain in the rear end, but mostly due to my dumb rear end. Their default image didn't appear to be laying down dump1090 properly for whatever reason (also, apparently dump1090 is a thing) so that took a bit of doing. Then if you do the "manual" script execution you can completely FUBAR the install for everything. Thankfully I found a thread of some other poor SOB with the same setup and I finally got things running. End of the day it appears that FA's prostick thingy is a ModeS Beast type and you have to run it (the script/scraper) against the local port that it is dumping to as opposed to attempting to do it via the USB option. Good to know I guess. I'm going to go dump this image to my NAS so I don't have to do all this again once I end up breaking this all to hell.

tldr: Software is fine, radios are hard.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fallom posted:

Have there been any articles describing why the fix for this has been so challenging? I don’t think I’ve heard much.

I’m assuming they’re having very expensive software engineers come in and fix/refactor Christ knows how many years of spaghetti code in an extremely proprietary system. That is not fast, easy, cheap, or pleasant for anyone involved.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Couple of glider questions:

What would be a rough estimate of cost in dollars and time to go from 0 to fully qualified/licensed to putter around in a glider?

I see a fair amount of folks recommending starting here vs a traditional powered plane. I can see where that would reinforce good habits, but wouldn’t someone new be better off in a platform that generate additional lift if needed? Of course thermals exist, but that seems like a fairly small margin for error if you make a mistake on a landing approach.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Saukkis posted:

I can't tell what the prices might be on your region, but they can vary quite a bit depending on if it's commercial instruction or a club, and whether the airfield uses air plane or winch towing. We use air plane and you can get a license though us for a bit under 3000€. The neighbouring air field has a winch and there you can manage a license for under 2000€.

I wasn’t aware a winch launch was a thing; that’s wild as hell that you just threat it like a kite. There is apparently a glider club a hour or two from me. I’ll have to call them and see what’s what.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I saw a Diamond DA42 flying around and thought it looked pretty neat. Do any of you have experience with/hot takes for this plans?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

kathmandu posted:

I got my multi rating on one. Fun as hell to fly, needs a ton of rudder input though. A bitch to taxi. Disappointingly low useful load. Incredibly low fuel burn. As much as I like it, I wouldn’t buy a multi with less useful load that a C182.

I’m reading that as “it can’t haul much”. Would it be accurate to compare it to a Miata? Fun to drive/fly, but drat near useless besides that?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So one of my brothers is off to do some dumb stuff in P8s and I took a look at his base on a whim. Does anyone know what aircraft this is? I want to say a U2 or a glider, but neither make a lot of sense at a naval air station. Bonus points for the two twin engine transports on the triangle looking thing south of the runway.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How large are these things anyway? I had never figured the predator to be particularly large, but but there’s nothing stopping you from getting as wacky as you want with UASs. The Global Hawk appears to be an Air force bird, so triton seems likely.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 18, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Those wings angle back slightly, the one in the gmaps has them at 90 degrees.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Godholio posted:

You know what...I'm amending my answer to Reaper. Triton/GH would have roughly the same wingspan as that C-130 nearby. Predators are all retired. I have no idea why there's a Reaper there, though...that's why I started off assuming it was a Triton.

Gmaps's measure distance feature is putting it around 64.4 ft wingspan-wise which would line up pretty will with the Reaper's 66 ft span. Allowing for distortion, error, and me not clicking good would make it seem pretty likely that this is the UAS/V in question. Plus it looks like you can see a hard point under the north wing. Do NASs overseas typically host aircraft from other branches? It wouldn't be a bad place to operate out of to keep an eye on North Africa and the Mediterranean.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Remember when the 787 battery fires kept happening and then Boeing fixed it?

Sometimes I wonder if it’s really fixed.

Boeing implemented internally manufactured battery fires that had a high enough failure rate that things more or less evened out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

J is taking taking the adage of “Any landing you can walk away from is a good one” a touch too literally methinks.

E- dammit

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That trailer peaked at 11 seconds. It seems ok?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Tangentially related but my flight tonight got caught in one of those vortex doohickeys behind another plane that you all were talking about a bit back during takeoff. Surprised the poo poo out of me, but thankfully amounted to nothing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Something something MCAS something helicopter something Kobe.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What’s going exactly here? I get that he’s not where he’s supposed to be and that’s a bad, but why is it “making a video” bad? Small non pilot words/terms if you would be so kind.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I noticed that ATL’s north runway(s) have a bit of a dip in them while riding in on MARTA. I assume it would be a bastard to keep things perfectly level, but it was a bit surprised that there appeared to be a noticeable change in elevation mid way through. What is general protocol for architecting a runway? How flat does a surface have to be for your average airliner to land (safely and ideally be able to take off again from) on?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Did they ever state whether they’d be doing VR integration? There are a surprising lack of good flying games out that don’t run like rear end.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

This may be a particularly insane question, but what would be the amount of investment needed ($ and time) to do crop dusting? I've been wanting to get a pilot's license for a while now and it would be fun to be able to "apply" it on the weekends if at all possible. Is there anyone here that can talk about the profession?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Munin posted:

Crop dusting is tough dangerous work flying lovely planes for low margin jobs all while spending time around insecticides and pesticides which are often bad to be chronically exposed to.

That’s about what I figured, oh well. Shame, I think the AT-802 is rea dumb looking in a fun way. Closest thing I can figure to flying COIN type stuff as a civilian.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

More of a UAS question, but there’s enough overlap here that it may play ball.

Do any of you all do aerial mapping? If so, are there any open source mapping projects that I could share my maps with? I’ve been piddling around with ODM and would love to actually do something with the output besides go “well that’s neat”.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Spaced God posted:

Hey y'all I found it, the worst METAR

KDLF 120122Z COR 05015G35KT 3SM FC TSRAGR BKN030 25/21 A2955 RMK AO2A TORNADO OHD TS OHD GR 1 1/2 RAB17 TSB02E22 PRESRR SLP996 $ COR 0147

Translation for those fond of the ground?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Something to keep in mind for the Cold War bomber ;)

In all fairness mothershift aircraft should be the first thing considered for any application in any time period.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

fun fact: ground effect works whether the "ground" is above or below the plane. if you fly less than one wingspan underneath a bridge, you'll get a burst of ground-effect-induced lift and potentially smack into the underside. so, you know, be careful about that runway tube.

So if you were doing some Ace Combat style nonsense in a tunnel would the opposing ground effect forces cancel out?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That as anime as gently caress. Straight Macross stuff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ola posted:

The ultimate anti-Zeppelin has to be some device that cuts through the envelope, but then remains inside it, while dispersing oxygen and igniting. I bet some YouTube crew could cook up something amazing with an oxygen flask and a lever on the valve, but with some military engineering you could probably get an oxidizer in powdered form. Maybe you have to start thinking about the ensuing boom and collateral damage.

You absolute fool. Everyone knows the only way to take down a zeppelin is with an even larger zeppelin.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’d say at least 1. I need to get around to adding them to my pi setup at some point. May be a good excuse to containerize the whole drat thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Should you have the notion to, it’s fairly* easy to get a setup going with a RasPi and about $50 of antenna and filter dongle dohickey iirc. Nets you some fun benefits for any site you share data with and gives you a fun little webpage you can use to view flights picked up with your receiver.

*command line shenanigans will ensue. Projects could be better documented/maintained, but if I can sort it out any moron can.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

FunOne posted:

The FlightAware one is nice that it comes in a ready-to-go Pi image, so you don't have to do much more than format the SD card. Plus it gives you FA Enterprise, which when travel isn't closed comes in handy for pulling the tail numbers and current location of the actual plane for your flight.

But yes, its less snoop friendly than other options for what you can catch on your screen.

Yeah, that’s the ways to go if you want minimal fuss. I had to do manual setup due so some network specific stuff and to make sure I could feed to multiple sites. I’ve been doing FA and FR24 for a bit and just got around to hooking it up to ADSBE during the week. I want to try and set up something to text me any time a military jet is flying over the house next.

When did ADSBE update their map interface? I’m not a super big fan of it, but I can see what they’re trying to do with it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I mean if it gets us VF-1s as part of the fleet I'm down to clown.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Oh man that fuckin huey pancake. What is wrong with people.

I’m gonna have to go with “gravity” friend.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Some rando is selling a motor glider in my area on Craigslist. This is a bad idea, right? Just like in general.

Phanatic posted:

Anyone who doesn’t go up in a warbird because of Nine-O-Nine was never really alive in the first place.

Look buddy, I’m happy to accommodate but you have to get in line. Schedules are what separate us from the animals. Well that and pants.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

brains posted:

you must be near a nest if you're getting swooped like that

Can you fly slow enough to get it to stall out and crash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Correct Opinion: Shark mouth decals are fukkin sick af