Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I was doing a road trip a couple of weeks ago and came across an aviation museum in Temora in NSW, Australia.

I knew nothing about this museum, other than the fact that they had two Spitfires there, and all the planes are still in flying condition, except for one.

This museum covers both WWII and Vietnam era warbirds

A CAC Boomerang. Sadly it had lunched its engine recently so being stripped down for repairs

A Ryan trainer

Cessna A37 Dragonfly. This was captured by the NVA during the Vietnam War, but somehow got back to the West. Still used by the Chilean Air Force, and GE still makes new jet engines for it

The last original flying English Electric Canberra bomber in the world. NASA has two heavily modified Canberras for high altitude weather work. This was flying over the town when I arrived.

Cockpit of the Canberra

Cool little Tiger Moth

The last flying example of a Lockheed Hudson bomber in the world

Since it was based off a passenger aircraft, it could be used to bomb the Japanese then take casualties out of the battlefield

CAC Wirraway, a well used WWII trainer in Australia

Spitfire. This one was used for ground attacks, mainly going for trains that were supplying V2 bomber sites. This Spitfire was used as a parts plane for the 1969 Battle of Britain movie, then got rebuilt in the 80s. It was getting some maintenance before flying out for an air show later that week.

The second Spitfire. Known as the Grey Nurse, it was flown by RAAF crews in the European theatre

Gloister Meteor

Bird Dog, used for Forward Control work in Vietnam

CAC CA-27 Sabre. Based off the F86, it used a Rolls Royce jet engine instead of the GE in the F86. This is the only plane that can not fly in the collection, as the propellant to eject the ejector seat is no longer made, and the RAAF won't allow a single engine jet to fly without an operational ejector seat.

The engine that made sure the Allies stuck it to the Axis

Beep Beep Jeep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cable Guy posted:

Shame because they still had it flying for Avalon Air-show in 2015

Image source

Wikipedia link for the Air Force Heritage Squadron which is based at Temora and Point Cook.

I didn't see the de Havilland Vampire T.35 when I visited. I am not sure if it was off somewhere else that day, but there didn't seem to be a spot for it in the main hanger