Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, I wouldn't call it impossible that it had some political motivation, but that wouldn't be my first guess. Especially against Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

dangerz posted:

It's just sensationalist news. First off let me start with a disclaimer: Everything I say is strictly my opinion and does not in any way shape or form constitute an official statement from Lockheed Martin. This is strictly personal opinion.

F35 isn't going to be cancelled. That being said, I strongly believe (as do many of the people I work with) that it's the last manned fighter that will be built. There's a lot of money invested in the F35 program from many different countries all over the world. If the USA were to pull out, there's enough to keep going from other countries.

It's normal to have cost-overrun in any kind of advanced program such as this. The government knows this and that's why they tolerate it. There are all kinds of techniques/metrics they use to measure whether it's worth going over cost (Earned Value being a big one) and they know what they're getting into. If the program is getting out of control, there are many checks and balances that come into play long beforehand that would stop it.

There's a lot of money invested in this program that people don't want to see just thrown away. The cost from the beginning of any fighter program is always over budget because there are so many variables. The same requirements that the government gave from the beginning will change all throughout the initial test phases. The F35 AA1 test article is nothing like the F35 that is on the runway right now and that's because things change a lot and force the company to restructure and rebudget.

Now that's just personal opinion and in a few years, someone could quote this and call me an idiot. From my position in Aero though (I'm part of one of the Cores which oversees every single airplane program we have) I haven't been given any indication that I should be concerned.

I agree there's no way the F-35 will be cancelled...but not for the reasons you listed. The only reason any other countries can afford the F-35 is economy of scale. The US is purchasing 2/3 of the current expected production run (2400 of just over 3000, something like that). If the US drops out...hell, if the USAF drops out, you're going to see smaller partners cancelling their orders and larger partners cutting theirs significantly.

But, the F-35 has too much political momentum. The current administration (and to a lesser extent the previous) has made it the centerpiece of US airpower. They've taken too strong a stand in propping it up (justifying the demise of the F-22, among other "savings" elsewhere) to do anything but bend over further.

To say the F-35's overruns are no different from other programs is ridiculous. A Nunn-McCurdy violation without mitigating circumstances (like an increased number of orders) is not a normal occurrence, nor should it be. The fact that R&D for one of the fundamental functions of the aircraft spiraled out of control due to technical and developmental problems shouldn't automatically be ignored. In this case there's not much choice...we need this airplane. Unfortunately there aren't enough options when it comes to designing the next generation of *insert almost any weapon system here*. The companies have little/no incentive to keep costs under control. The government will pay, and if they don't the program will get scrapped and another will start...and once again, there are only a handful of options.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

Our radar displays only show two digit speed in tens and hundreds. Not sure how they got such a specific figure.

Depends on the system. Ours reads down to singles, but nobody bothers reading that far because it's not accurate enough.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TimingBelt posted:

Early production Hind(A variant)

Click here for the full 980x675 image.

I'm not sure if it was a prototype or if it was put into service. Note the lack of the distinctive Double-Bubble Canopy.

Wow, that really looks terrible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fucknag posted:

Wait... so you went skydiving out of the bomb bay of a B-17?

That is badass as gently caress.

That's the new #1 thing on my "list to do before death." loving awesome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If the F-20 had been offered instead of the F-5E, it would've had a chance. But being a maxed-out airframe vs a new design with tons of upgrade potential...Northrop brought it into the game too late to make a difference.

Edit: Yeah, it would've been sick in a demo team though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

e- also today a KC-10 was doing touch and go's all day at Stewart :fap:

Fun to watch, but sucks be in the plane for that. Anyone who has the slightest touch of motion sickness WILL vomit under those conditions. If you've got sympathetic pukers in the area, the situation rapidly deteriorates. I've been stuck next to a puker twice. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

meltie posted:

It's strange; I still think of the F/A-18 as being new :(

The original Hornet design competed (and lost) against the F-16 in the early 70s. The Super Hornet is a totally new design, with about as much in common with the old Hornet as the new Camaro has with the old. SHornets entered production in the mid-late 90s, they are new planes, and among the most advanced fighters in the world.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

So out of curiosity, given that they are completely new planes, why did they keep the layout (and the name) of the old Hornet?

Well, the Navy sold Congress on the idea that it was an upgraded version. It was based on the original Hornet, but there's little/no commonality among parts. The engines, radar, avionics, and airframe itself are all different.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now if the Air Force could get their heads out of their asses long enough to realize that fact, maybe we can focus on some redesigned F-15's/16's.

:doh: This is the thinking that led to the USAF getting it's rear end kicked early in the Korean War.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Delivery McGee posted:

The specific Hornet I photographed was built in the mid-'80s, and, according to the pilot, is getting close to triple the flight hours M-D designed it for (it was meant to last 3 and has over 8, but I can't remember if that's thousands or ten-thousands).

As for why the Super Hornet looks like the old one, the Navy needed a new plane but Congress wouldn't pay for a new one, so they made it look kinda like the old one, removed any indication of scale from the pictures, and told Congress it was just a revision of the tried-and-true. That happens a lot, though the only others I can think of offhand are the F-86D and the new, wider-bodied CH-53 the Marines might be getting soon. I think there's also an all-new F-15 in the works, but it might actually be an upgraded Mudhen, rather than a full redesign like the Sabre Dog and Super Hornet.

Fighters are in the thousands, some heavies can make it into the tens of thousands. Vastly different stresses on the airframes. But there are modernization programs that can greatly increase a fighter airframe's lifetime, doubling it or more. I can see this happening to the Super Hornets eventually, since I don't think there will be a 6th generation fighter until at least the 2030s. The old Hornets will just have to survive until the F-35 really gets in service.

Are you talking about the Silent Eagle? It's an upgrade...basically an F-15 with RAM coatings, V-tails, and instead of the F-15E (and newer) conformal fuel tanks, it stores missiles inside. I think it's flown yet, but it looks pretty neat with that V setup.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 18, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not necessarily. 4th gen fighters en masse would pose a significant problem for a total fleet of 180 F-22s (including training, depot maintenance, etc). Plus there's the whole "this airplane has to last us for at least 30 years like the last one" which kinda makes you wonder what might happen in the next 3 decades, since we're stuck with what we have now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

movax posted:

The engine inlets also differ. One is more circular, the other more angular. I think the Super Hornet has the angular intakes.

The Super Hornet has the angular intakes, but the C-model isn't a Shornet.

Edit: Bastard!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

movax posted:

D'aww, looks so :3:. I was googling to check for the differences between Hornet variants E/F (wasn't sure if the two-seater was training only), and came across this in the Google listing:

The US considers it 4.5 or 4.5+ (there's really no difference), but some countries count generations differently. China, for example, considers the F-10 and F-11 5th generation fighters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange lime posted:

Also, more research needs to be put into the linear aerospike engine, because it looks so drat cool:

It looks like a loving spaceship landing thruster.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

drat, that's pretty. Shiny unpainted aluminum looks fantastic. Dumb question: are pyrotechnics common at American air shows?

They're not uncommon. It depends on the acts-some events use pyrotechnics, some don't. I've been to probably 25 airshows in my life, and probably 10 of them had some kind of fire or explosions involved in one of the events.

Now Russian airshows...that's a whole other topic...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's a T-38 Talon. Yup, a trainer...but it's almost identical to the F-5. The Air Force and Navy both use the T-38s for pilot training, and the Navy still uses them as aggressors (the AF just paints F-15s and F-16s in rad "bad guy" paint schemes).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Blah, nevermind.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think I can sum up the last few posts in just a few words:

Reach for the skies, man! Just for the love of God, get it on video.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I wonder if they wouldn't survive the desert as well as a "normal" aircraft. They've already been recalled once, though I don't expect them to come back again.

Googling that tail number brought up some weird stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Are you sure they're NASA's F-5s and not Air Force or Navy T-38s? Both services use T-38s as aggressors. The Navy uses them more, but the AF routinely puts F-22s against T-38s. Small RCS, high maneuverability, and good acceleration offer a different set of challenges from fighting F-15s and even F-16s, even if the Talon doesn't have a radar.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never heard that, but I doubt it. Wings are expensive, and a 9G limit is for the airframe, not for weapons. Most weapons can be damaged by that kind of force, so a 9G limit is usually only in a "clean" configuration. I don't see why Switzerland would spend that kind of money for a capability that can't be used except in airshows.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cool, so they did modify the frame. They'll still be subject to most weapons' lower g-limit though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, that's a much better explanation than my half-assed attempts. Although certain types of fuzes do have a limit, I don't have a specific example. I think they're all air-to-ground munitions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LOO posted:

If they can replace #4 & #5 with one big engine (as pictured), they can replace them all. My understanding is that wasn't economically advantageous to do so. Probably because they spent the money on B-1 Lancers, and B-2 Spirits.

It's all a money issue. The E-3 AWACS and E-8 JSTARS use the same engines and will continue to do so for the same reason. The AF doesn't have the cash for new engines, especially when there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of spares sitting around. The same engine used to be on the KC-135s (all re-engined with CFM-56 or retired) and C-141 (retired), plus a handful of other low-production aircraft.

Edit: VVV :hfive:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 1, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OptimusMatrix posted:

Thats why you equip it with 2 GE90-115's so it makes nearly double the thrust as the current configuration so if you lose one it can still land, take off, and fly a normal route on one engine.

They'd probably have to redesign the wings to mount them further inboard to do something like that. I can see the Buff having severe control problems running on one engine anywhere near the current inboard engine location. It's still halfway out the massive wing.

Edit: It will never have just two engines, I can definitely see 4 when the time comes for the B-52 to get reengined, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LOO posted:

I think four CFM56-5A @ 22000 to 26500 lbs thrust would do the trick.

I wouldn't be surprised if a CFM56 variant is what finally ends up replacing the TF-33s. That's exactly what happened to the KC-135. And foreign military 707 sales (ie, foreign E-3s).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LobsterboyX posted:

I guess i took it a bit too far...

No, I'd say you nailed it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

This is the way airshows should be done, live ordinance and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmseXJ7DV4c

Hell yeah. I was at an Airpower Demonstration at Creech in 2007. It was hot as balls, but loving awesome to actually see something beyond the typical airshow demos. I'm sure I'll miss some of the aircraft represented, but there were F-117s, B-52s, B-1s, a B-2, (I think the B-2 was the only one that didn't drop), F-22s, a pseudo-intercept between F-15s and F-16s (all they launched were flares, but they were turning and burning right overhead low enough to see the aggressor paint scheme), A-10s launching rockets and firing the GAU-8 from overhead while a pair of HH-60s recovered a "survivor" about 100 yrds from the bleachers.

Oh, and they had a live Predator feed from directly above, and the drat thing was too high to see.

All in all, it was well worth the drive from Nellis (we were there for a Flag or something), and our near-death experience when our 15-pax lost all steering due to metal fatigue and the actual snapping of the steering rack minutes after leaving the interstate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ApathyGifted posted:

Yeah, and because of that and the fact that the pilot was on a training mission, and dead-sticked a U-2 on an uncharted runway in the middle of the night with no ground team guiding him in, it's safe to say that pilot was god damned AWESOME.

That would explain the DFC.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

jandrese posted:

Someone may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I still like it.

Please tell me you have a high-res of this. Even if you don't it's going to be my desktop at work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Manny posted:

I bet those pilots have one of the best seats in the house.

Obviously, since that's the photographer's wingman. Also F-15E means TWO of the best seats in the house! :black101:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jesus. A new F-15 costs $100 million nowadays, yeah let's buy those since they're so affordable (vs the 130-180M per F-22).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

grover posted:

A little of both. F-15E Strike Eagles are still in production, so we know what they cost- pretty much what a Eurofighter, F-35, F-22 or any other capable modern fighter costs. Modern fighter aircraft are simply extremely expensive. Stealth is a lot of the cost difference between the F-15 and F-22; the precision and techniques necessary to reduce the RCS are much more expensive than simple sheet metal and rivets. But the survivability stealth brings gives an exponential return on investment vs old technology. The F-15SE Silent Eagle is more expensive than a normal F-15, and really isn't very stealthy at all. Vectored thrust and the new RADAR add costs, too.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/dae/articles/communiques/FighterCostFinalJuly06.pdf

Not to get all D&D on the Sustainable Defense Task Force report, but it was "bipartisan" as it was sponsored by Ron Paul and Barney Frank, both of whom want to make HUGE defense spending cuts, cuts most of the rest of congress are rational enough to know are asinine. So it's no wonder they're recommending deep cuts. I have to wonder why they want to cancel the F-35 and replace it with less capable aircraft that cost more money? Unless they want to go back and buy P-51 Mustangs at about $1M a pop. Cheap! Rather worthless as fighters on the modern battlefield, but we can afford a whole slew of them!

I don't see any scenario where the US buys the Silent Eagle. Boeing's not even bothering to market it, and I think they're smart for it.

But if I had the cash I'd totally pay $1M for a P-51. :fap:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 20, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, I posted it just because I found it interesting that congressional types took to the same ideas the thread did. I think you are overreacting a bit to report's findings, though. I know your feelings about the F-35, but it's not like one of the bullet points was "ELIMINATE THE NAVY." They want to cut a trillion dollars out of the defense budget not because they hate freedom but because the USA's largest expenditure is defense, and you guys spend 50% more on defense now then in 1986. And that's a date after Regan's big military spending increase, and the opponent was the USSR and the Warsaw pact. So if you are interested in reducing government spending in any way, the logical place to start is defense.

Absolute dollars is a pretty lovely way to compare spending now vs decades ago. I'm not sure if you're doing that, or including the cost incurred by two active wars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

grover posted:

Using absolute dollars, or even inflation-adjusted dollars can be misleading; % of GDP is much more meaningful as it reflects that our nation is far wealthier now than in years past. By % GDP, Obama is spending more on defense than Clinton, yet less than virtually any other time since before the Korean war, and doing so while actively fighting two wars.

Percentage of GDP is how I measure it, too. Does that chart include the war supplemental funding, or is it the annual budget?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jimmy Smuts posted:

"Bear", "Freestyle", "Foxhound", and "Flanker" make up for those. Though it's too bad the Freestyle went nowhere.

Cock and human being would like to have a word with you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If it was, I missed it too. My reaction wasn't too different from his wife's. Yikes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There are few planes that get me excited like a camo F-4. One of my best (and earliest) Air Force moments was just a couple of days after reporting to my first assignment, Tyndall AFB. US 98 runs right through the middle of the base, separating the flightline from the rest of the base. Tyndall is home to a unit that flies QF-4s (literally remotely piloted F-4 Phantoms) in combat simulations...manned fighters will actually engage and shoot them down so pilots get to actually experience real missile launches and whatnot. The QF-4s are painted grey and orange. But there's one F-4 they bring out for the airshows, and actually use a pilot to fly, and it's in full up camo paint. At the time, Tyndall was also the home of the F-15C schoolhouse, although over the past couple of years that pipeline has been moved to Oregon so the F-15s are gone. :( Tyndall is also where the F-22 schoolhouse is.

So I was at a red light at the gate about to leave the non-flightline side to get on 98, and I see an F-4 take off...the camouflage one. AWESOME! About 15 seconds later a pair of F-15Cs go roaring after it. YES! Then a pair of F-22s. :flashfap: All in the span of one red light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's some beautiful camo. Is it real? If so, what's it for?

The Aggressors (they pretend to be the bad guys in exercises) up in Alaska. The Aggressors at Nellis use similar paint schemes, but different colors. I'll try to dig up some pics.

Edit:

Click here for the full 1373x915 image.

I also love the Aggressor colors.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 4, 2010