Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

Alaska/Horizon is also really weird about their Q400 routes. They simply don't fly them in Alaska. There is absolutely no reason most of the routes in-state couldn't use them. Off the top of my head, the Petersburg-Wrangell flight has got to cost them a ton of money using 737s instead of turboprops. You do not need a plane that big to fly 32 miles between two poor towns of less than 3,000 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Cygni posted:

Peace out Reno Air Races, you were fun.

Goddamnit. The plan was to go next year. I've wanted to go all my freaking life!

I really hope they make an announcement about next year soon, we'll be buying our tickets in less than a month if they're on.

This sucks in so many ways, hopefully nobody else dies.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Anyone know how long it'll be before they announce some sort of plan for (if?) next year?

poo poo, if all theynsay is there'll be a bunch of planes fast-taxiing I'll buy my plane tickets, but I don't want to get stuck on vacation in Nevada if nothing's happening :(

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

SwimNurd posted:

I do believe this was planned or did they go this year? :ohdear:

I was asking about it a month ago, but that was in regards to 2012. I have to plan my trips WAY in advance because airfare out of Alaska sucks and you have to know what your plans are to have any hope of scoring a discount.

Edit: We're also planning to use miles for the trip, which makes it even worse.

If they don't announce anything in the next month, that effectively nixes my chances for next year.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 20, 2011

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Low-bypass turbofans look so strange today.

Yeah, but they look so right under the wings of a 737.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Tsuru posted:

The commonality between military and civilian engines is an interesting one, I also remember reading somewhere that the core of the CFM56 used on the 737, A320, A340 and re-engined 707s/DC-8s is the same basic one as used in some US-built fighters and the B-1B.

It's also the same engine (core) on the A10.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

e- also jesus christ we're not going to war with China

build more A-10s

While I 100% agree with you that we're not going to war with China, I'm concerned about who they'll sell to. They don't hang out with reputable types.

Also, build more A10s.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I often wonder how much better served the military would be with quieter aircraft. They're stealthy up high, but when they come down near a guy with an RPG, he can hear it coming for an hour. After a nice meal, he'll still have plenty of time to target.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

The Locator posted:

From Popular Mechanics - http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...click=pm_latest

I really, really hope the NTSB only makes airframe reccomendations (which will be moot on P51s anyway because everyong flying them will be looking to upgrade parts). I accept higher levels of risk walking to the truck every morning than I'd have sitting in the stands at Reno.

I'm also being serious, I'm more likely to end up in a fistfight with a bear here than a person had of dying in that grandstand. You can't eliminate risk, you can only make people aware of it.

It reminds me of a Top Gear episode where Clarkson was talking to some guy who said 'with enough rules, you don't need common sense', and he rufused to accept that he had it backwards.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

PatrickBateman posted:

A friend who worked on those at MDD said it kinda flew skewed, prior to the prop fan being installed.

I guess that would make it easy to decide which side gets the higher powered engine.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

The volume of newer planes is simply amazing. I can't wait for the Diet 737 MAX to start filtering through the system.

The State of Alaska handed out loan guarantees to flightseeing operators to replace radials on the Otters with Garrett turbines. Even when they're right over you they just sound like wind, it's great for not disturbing the wilderness (plus it keeps DHC planes in the air!).

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I'm probably wrong, but I don't think an Airbus has ever landed here. The A320 is a better looking plane than the 737, I will fully admit. I've never flown on one, though.

I'm curious how much Boeing is pitching the 787 as a partial 757 replacement. I think not completely redesigning the 737 will turn out to be a mistake, since a short widebody would make a very economical plane to operate in these days of fighting for overhead bin space.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

What's the Yukla 27 memorial look like down there?

I saw the crash; I too am curious about the memorial.

Plane crashes smell awful :(

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I've started booking our trip to the 2012 air races (assuming they happen) :dance:

I couldn't help but notice if I'd waited even one day to book our Reno-LAX leg it would be 3x the price, which dictated an immediate pruchase. Now I just need to get tickets to Reno!

What would be the best place to stay at while we're there? The plan is to fly in Friday and use the shuttle. Would the Peppermill be our best bet? We don't gamble.

If they cancel the races I'm going to be pissed.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not sold on that, what's the "threat" to Boeing when they own the MD-11 outright? Slightly lower sales of the 777/767 freighter variants in return for offset by MD-11 sales?

Not so much a 'threat' as it would be less profit. No parts/training would be the same, a different assembly line to keep open, etc.

The 777 actually is a better freighter since it can make it from China to the Lower 48 without a stopover in Anchorage. Two less cycles per trip is also an important consideration.

Viggen posted:

If you're a cheap bastard, and don't plan on driving anything too fancy, you could always get a room at the Sands. They're stupidly-cheap (like sub-$30/night w/ 2 queens), and a bit closer to the races, but a trip down the main drag usually isn't too bad. Not sure what Peppermill will be offering, so check around.

I'm not an insanely cheap bastard, but I do like a good deal. The plan is to take the shuttle, since that will be cheaper and easier than a rental car. We want a place that will have both an airport shuttle and the races shuttle stops at. No Circus-Circus, please. We'd also much prefer a single king, since I'm apparently in the minority and actually sleep with my wife...

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

slidebite is Canadian :laugh:

Kelowna also owns several type certificates, including a huge Convair 580 variant, the 5800. They're capable of doing some serious airframe modifications.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I think it's actually more fuel efficient to fly. It's certainly more labor efficient.

Assuming fuel doubled without a corresponding increase in fuel efficiency, I think flying would still be fairly popular. I fly more than the average American, and from a VERY expensive locale, and it's still not really a large percentage of my discretionary income.

From here to, say, LAX is about $800 round trip average but that's still less than half the cost of a vacation for two. You'd probably see a whole lot less kids flying and much better ground transportation options but flying would still be common.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Godholio posted:

Fuel efficient maybe...on that scale certainly. But I can drive home to see the fam (1700 miles or so each way), spend two weeks dicking around with friends and family, then drive back and the cost of the entire trip - food, gas, hotel, etc - will be around the cost of airfare. And I'll have my car the whole time. Obviously that's very situation-dependent.

Remember that I said more people would be using ground transportation.

Personally, I'd rather cough up and fly than drive 3400 miles, but I also count my time into the equation.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

It's all good, I enjoyed the opportunity to say "rear end-cockpit."

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to say a lovely word like cockpit.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I think it's an indication of how complex and uneconomic it is to operate such large piston engines when the only planes on that list with any sort of commercial success are the Mars and Buck-Nineteen. Even in those two examples they weren't exactly common.

When I'm in Anchorage for Christmas, I'll see if I can't get close to the pair of C-119s in Wasilla. As far as I know, they're the only two currently flying in 'commercial' service. Even they only fly a couple times a year, if that. They were down for over a decade when one lost an engine in Kodiak and they had to cannibalize parts. I'm pretty sure they only reason they got both in the air again was because they got evicted from Anchorage International along with the C-133.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Don't forget that Long Beach is pitching to get the Diet 737 MAX production line about that timeframe.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

Don't you dare blaspheme your DHC-2/3 heritage

There's also the freshly-reintroduced DHC-6.

It's only a matter of time until Viking starts churning out Beavers and Otters again (my money's on the Otter first).

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

BonzoESC posted:

I wonder if chAApter 11 will slow down AA's wifi installs, or if they're already going so slow that it won't matter.

I'm more curious how they're going to get loans on the fleet they just ordered.

Bankruptcy really needs to stop being a business strategy.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

BonzoESC posted:

Chapter 11 is based on the company being more valuable in business than it would be liquidated, allowing them to pay employees and suppliers (continue operating) while turning some debt (usually owed to banks or funds that can insure it against default) into nothing, other debt into ownership, and ideally in the long run, keep the business operating and generating value for its owners and debtors and the public at large.

"If you want to be a Millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline."
- Richard Branson

I'm well aware of the purpose of Chapter 11. The problem is, ever since Worldcom, it has become a potential business plan. Spend a ton of money, file, emerge without having to pay for all the stuff you bought (but you still have it).

AA is also filing because they STILL haven't worked out the labor agreements with TWA, whose pilots have had a lawsuit going for a while. This marks at least the 4th airline my uncle (a former TWA and Pan Am pilot) has worked for when they filed.

AA couldn't afford to buy new planes and it couldn't afford to operate the exisiting fleet. It's a very competitive market, which means there is plenty of duplication and no reason they need to exist as a going concern.

This is coming as someone who has a pair of tickets on American, too.

Edit: I love that Sir Richard quote. I'm pretty sure Alaska's CEO has flat out stated it's a bad idea to invest in any airline and Warren Buffet has a policy not to.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

BonzoESC posted:

What choices do businesses in highly-competitive low-margin industries have? Don't take big risks, competitors take your business. Take big risks, sometimes 9/11 happens or gas prices go up.

It's really quite simple - capitalism is creative destruction. If we remove the 'destruction' from it, we're simply susidizing people who can't balance their business.

There is no legitimate reason AA couldn't be wound down. Keeping it around means that all the other airlines are still going to be in exactly the same horrible financial shape they've always been. They're just going to get a fresh competitor back who can charge less because they walked away from contracts without punishment.

Remember, in Chapter 11 the company itself really doesn't get punished (outside their credit rating, which is essentially meaningless if they get to keep their existing credit to buy new planes). It's only the poor saps with stock who lose out.

There needs to be more accountability in upper management to the shareholders, plain and simple. Run a company bankrupt? You're out of a job!

Enough with this rant. How much lake would I really need to land and takeoff a loaded beaver or turbine otter? I'm thinking about buying some remote lakefront property and would need to get there by air.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, question: in a bankruptcy like this, presumably the people who lent the money to buy the new fleet are going to get paid, right? Otherwise, wouldn't these investors say "No dice, I'm a keepin' the planes?"

The shareholders are wiped out and the company is divided up amongst the (largest, usually) creditors.

Basically the company will be owned by the banks who lent them the money to buy the planes, and they couldn't give a rat's rear end about anything else as long as they get their payments. Thats why labor tennds to eat it the most in these kinds of situations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

Yes, it's just snow, but this video seems relevant, especially since it is pulling up to a gate and is therefore nowhere near full power.

That video gives a pretty compelling reason why they don't gravel kit CFM-powered 737s. Even the old Pratts needed a vortex dissipator: http://ww.airliners.net/photo/896548/M/

ack! posted:

I talked to a United mechanic who was called down to Hawaii after Flight 811's explosive decompression to help inspect the plane and engines. While looking through the engine that ingested stuff, organic materials were found, meaning one or some of the ejected passengers went into it. They decided to just scrap it instead of rebuilding.

The wikipedia page you linked has sources that show the plane after it was repaired.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

That can be said of many western aircraft as well. I have absolutely no quams about getting into certain DeHavilland Canadia models despite there probably having been more Otters fatally crashed than built.

The Beaver that picked us up at our wedding had been written off twice and fatally crashd once.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I'm sure the telemetry and extra fuel more than make up pilot and HVAC savings. Really, your savings (weight and money) are in the fact that if it gets shot down, it's merely a blurb on the news. No need for protection against battle damage or the ability to pull 9 Gs without airframe fatigue.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

That's only because the Jet-A to feed 6 turbines hauling 1.2 million pounds 1400 miles doesn't count as 'propellant'.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Maybe there's a smaller plane inside :haw:

Is that a 787 forward fuselage?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Looks like a gooney bird, but I can't see the flaps or intakes.

A DC3 would sure explain how an A-Star could keep up, though.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Yeah, but the only replacement for a DC-3 is another DC-3. The only replacement for a 737 is an Airbus. That's not nearly as cool.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

HeyEng posted:

Yea, last month I timed the ground crews. It took them about 4 minutes to de-ice a 737. Mighty impressed.

I flew out of Anchorage tonight and they had the plane doused in no time. I'm not even sure if there were 2 people in the truck, the nozzle was remote controlled. Alaska Airlines is amazing sometimes in their efforts to be on time or catch up.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

We've been on the same page for a long time. The VXX and MR4A programs both were basically done, at huge expense, before being canceled.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Godholio posted:

What airports have free wifi? Either OKC or SLC does, I can't remember which. But all the others I can remember have loving boingo, which is retarded because your $8 buy-in is only good at THAT location. WTF.

Boingo usually works in airports and they let you sign up and cancel at will. Their cancelation screen has an option to suspend the account until the next time you travel.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

If I'm going on a 2 week trip, I want to be as far away from family as possible. That means flying.

In many cases I *could* do the 2 day trek to visit my parents, but the flight is a little over an hour and much more enjoyable even with security. I can even work a full day first so I don't need to blow the leave.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Linedance posted:

I got this tiger repellant here, guaranteed 100% effective... I'll sell it to you real cheap ;)

How much for the rock?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

LockMart just announced two new versions of the C-130J:

C-130XLJ, which is basically a stripper model that looks to aim for potential civilian sales

SC-130J, to replace the P-3 Orion.

I'm really interested in seeing how they plan to drop depth charges and sonar bouys from a palletized load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Apropos of nothing the Piaggio Avanti is the sexiest plane. Also pusher props own.

What are the seaplane-looking things in the background?