Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well now, this is timely since I spent some time this past weekend at Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson.

Which, for anyone who doesn't know, actually has a SR71 and a D21, among other crazy poo poo, in their inventory. For some reason the D21 is off in their storage yard, while they finished a nice new exhibit for the SR71.

As a bonus, while wandering around outside, the pilots at Davis-Montham Air Force Base decided that Saturday was a great day for some hooliganism and acrobatics in a F15. I need to get the pics my wife snapped as it flew directly overhead, at low altitude, at full afterburner. :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oxbrain posted:

Bombers are so 20th century. :rolleyes:

Re-start project Thor. :black101:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

I think a random NPC in Mass Effect 2 put it best: "Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest motherfucker in space!"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What the hell is going on in those images because it looks amazing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nice timing for all of the Hornet love. My wife and I are scanning in some old photos, and the story behind these is that her kindergarten teacher's husband was in Desert Storm, sent these back to her, and she just ran extras for her class.

So, check out all of these much younger F/A-18s, probably C's by the timing but I'm sure someone can correct me if they're actually A's.
Edit: Wikipedia (by searching VMFA-235) calls them out as F/A-18Cs.

The Hornet is such a pretty plane, too.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 18, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress that, just strap wings and a cockpit to a GE90. "My fuselage makes 115k lbf, now what?"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just scanned this in tonight - my wife got it at a small WWII airshow years ago. Sat and talked with him for a good while, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just think the Skycrane looks awesome because it looks like it really is the bare minimum of what needs to be there to call it a helicopter. Not even a goddamn engine cowling.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

The pinnacle of all things AI, in one post, connected by one man.

Smokey Yunick is pretty much the patron saint of AI.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That last picture seems uncomfortably close between helicopter and model.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

Bonus Edit: Even Pinnacle Airlines Flight 3701, which was an egregious case of unprofessional behavior, may not have occurred if the pilots had received adequate training in the high-altitude performance of their aircraft so they knew exactly how stupidly dangerous what they were about to attempt is. In short, you can call out the pilots for doing something stupid, but you need to call out their airline for not making sure they knew how stupid it was.

I've never heard of this but I'm glad you posted it. It sounds like the most expensive "HOLD MY BEER AND CHECK THIS OUT" ever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Illuminati by Nature posted:

Apologies if a respost

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/07/newport-beach-john-wayne-airport-takeoff

Is the takeoff really that steep from there already?

It is pretty damned steep. I've flown out of there a few times on Southwest 737s and it's also quite noticeable in that flying out of Sky Harbor and most other airports, they don't even stop after they make the final turn onto the runway. At SNA, every time, they make the last turn as tight as possible in order to start the plane as far back on the runway as they can, lock the brakes, throttle up, and then release the brakes.

Even knowing it's coming, the transition from having the throttles firewalled to near-idle is disconcerting as all hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

movax posted:

I could make IOC mad by suggesting people report posts that call the A-10 ugly

could

Give this guy a mod-star for his correct opinion...oh wait!

In all seriousness while I do love the A10 I will probably at least give you a 6h slap if the only reason you probate someone is because THEY DON'T LIKE THE PLANE I LIKE WAAAAH

But anyone who doesn't like the A10 is indeed wrong. :colbert: It's beautiful in a form-over-function makes it wrap back around from ugly to badass sort of way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Aeronautical Insanity: Creative Aviation Cosplay!

So who's the Concorde and who's Heathrow? :huh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

According to the NTSB, the model aircraft pilot's fault - he was apparently operating in an area specifically off-limits to R/C aircraft at that event, and had not been in contact with the coordinator for clearance to fly.

The only reason the biplane was that low is because he was attempting to land on that runway and did a go-around instead.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

I'm pretty sure Southwest exclusively flies 737s.

Yep, 737-only. They got some 717-200s when they bought AirTran, but they're leasing those out to Delta as they can.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Phoenix Sky Harbor lands planes simultaneously on the parallels, but I have no idea if they can do that in bad weather, since we never have any. :v:

I never sit around long enough to watch but it always seems like they're staggered by ~30 sec, one runway then the other.

And you can't mention PHX airport weather without mentioning the day we went off the charts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Once you go A380, you'll never go back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SybilVimes posted:

Any military base is going to be the same kind of deal - night won't be much sanctuary.

It's worth noting that military aircraft are considerably louder. When I was at UofA, it wasn't uncommon to have to stop mid-lecture because an F16 or A10 from Davis-Montham was taking off at full throttle or making a particularly low final approach.

With that said, being out of the flight path will reduce the noise quite a bit. I work about a mile from the runways at PHX but because I'm not in the takeoff/landing areas east and west of the runways, you never hear planes while inside the building and rarely even hear them standing outside.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of codes, I suspect U of A is University of Arizona but my brain read it as University of Alberta and was deeply confused for a second :argh:

:downs: Yes, yes it does mean University of Arizona.

I'm not saying it was a bad noise, but they were very noticeably louder than any other aircraft at any other airport I've spent time in the vicinity of.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fayez Butts posted:

That's glorious. Also this

It's Mr. May's expression that really makes this photo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Totally from my rear end guess, but I think in reality we'd probably be a little disappointed.

Yeah; the reality is that the SR71 is a one-and-only because the ability to throw a satellite in space that needs no pilot and can be monitored in real-time trumps the astronomical cost of keeping SR71s in the air to do the same thing.

It's also why I'm glad Pima Air & Space has probably one of the most complete SR71 setups around, especially since they were able to finally build it a hangar and full exhibit. The first time I went there, the SR71 was outside protected by nothing but a velvet rope, and the D21 drone was rotting in a side yard without so much as a placard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

The more you know about the cold war, air power, and nuclear deterrence the better this movie gets. It's truly a masterpiece. Also, "turgid" is a great word.

This, and yet a bit more thread relevant:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suicide Watch posted:

Wow I never realized Pima had not 1, not 2, but 3 B-52s in their collection. Also two B-29 variants and a B-47.

Also a B-36 and B-58. They could restart SAC.

Pima Air and Space is loving awesome. I need to get down there again now that my daughter is probably old enough to enjoy it on at least some level.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

Actually it was two middle fingers thrust vigorously in the air whilst proclaiming "SUCK MY BALLS, GRAVITY!!!"

Just take it, indeed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm in airports weekly and vastly prefer the type of sit down establishments those iPads and card readers enable. I've never had an issue with any of the equipment and it lets me have a decent meal during layovers where waiting for waitstaff to take my order/standing in line wouldn't work.

Yup, used this to great benefit on a layover in MSP earlier this year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ola posted:

Unembeddable video of King Air landing with stuck nosegear, very nicely done.

Applauding himself at the end. :golfclap:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

This video is excellent. It never occured to me that you'd only get 16 goes at starting/lighting the afterburner on each engine.

I mean, if you're trying to re-light an engine in that thing mid flight you're probably going to get some use of the bailout lights anyway so it's not really an issue, but it seems like another thing that would weigh in the back of the pilot's mind the whole time.

Wasn't the whole point of carrying all of that starter fuel the fact that the J58 is not an easy engine to keep running?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Could you imagine the living hell your life would be if it was your job to explain to Cheeto how the gently caress any reasonably modern military technology worked?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

(should not be engine parts)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do you like gladiator movies?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

I really liked that the new blade runner kept pan-am around (since it was still around in 2019 in the original). Was a nice touch.

Ditto with Atari.

And the cccp. It's a future version of that future after all, not today's future.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Official livestream is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

monkeytennis posted:

Look at the size of this thing! Sorry for FB link I’m on iPad and cant embed a video for some reason. It’s the new GE9X engine.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...umfZMkWfswmaR18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsY5g3iV1rg

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FBS posted:

"Is your airplane physically on fire?"
"No, it's not on fire, but part of it's missing."

"Did you say someone - you know what nevermind"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kilroy was here

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

You just have another 747 refueler following the 747 carrier and 747 AWACS around.

Its 747s all the way down!

[img-Operation-Black-Buck.svg]

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hah, I thought I was the only one who had Zach's book.

It should be required reading for everyone here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Inacio posted:

well once i'm a billionaire i know what bizjet(s) i'm getting

Chode planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's not gone well. Crash itself isn't seen, but there is a fatality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-R7Md_T8k

Edit: apparently the tailrotor came off :stare:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 25, 2020