Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

monkeytennis posted:

*cough*

If people like this, then http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/ is an absolute goldmine of British cold-war era aircraft. As is most of the RAF Museum at Cosford :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Whilst we're here, is there a name for the blue used to paint cockpits? "Cockpit Blue" as a search doesn't seem to turn up much of use. Is there a real name for it, and what are the reasons behind its use? I figure it's easy on the eyes and reduces fatigue?

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 16, 2010

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

ab0z posted:

That looks like it was built exclusively from things available at hobby lobby.

Christ, it's real I think.

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/strange_vehicles/swisscopter_dragonfly.html

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

Anyone spending significant time around me will get to hear some fairly impressive rants on this and similar subjects. It feels like we've got a strange knack of taking seven years to do the impossible, then sitting with our collective thumbs up our arses for the next four decades.

There's a pint with your name on it some time.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Delivery McGee posted:

He wasn't kidding about them getting old. I forget the ridiculous number of hours he said were on that particular airframe, but it's a lot more than McDonnell Douglas intended.

It's strange; I still think of the F/A-18 as being new :(

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

ApathyGifted posted:

Mach 5 is the "limit" because around there the area ratios between intake and choking point start to get impractical. On top of that, your stagnation (ram) pressure is getting high enough that the drat flow just re-accelerates after the choking point instead of slowing down further. That's where SCRamjets come in. The SC stands for supersonic combustion, as in being able to set the fuel-air mix on fire while the flow is still supersonic past the ignitors.

Crikey, you seem to know something. How do you keep the mix alight in a supersonic breeze?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

I'll put in a vote for the Harrier Jump Jet.

No reason why it wouldn't be doable - stopping using the planes was a choice, not a requirement or something that was forced upon those involved.

How does one 'archive' an aircraft when it goes to a museum or storage?

Drain out the hydraulics, take out the batteries... do what to the fuel tanks? How about the oil? Pack stuff with grease? Spray some kind of stabiliser into the intakes on the last run?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Moot1234 posted:

:flashfap:

A Jaguar?

Really?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

blambert posted:

Currently spending the weekend down at my parents house, went past the local pub this afternoon and saw this in the field next to it. Hopped out of the car to have a look and next thing I knew I was sat in the pilots seat having any and every question I've ever had answered by the Pilot and Medic.

Oh God oh God oh God. I almost joined up to try and fly these.

Almost. drat.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Minto Took posted:

Video ruined by song.

It was the perfect song for the videos!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Manny posted:

I've read this book recently and it's a great insight into the Black Buck raids and how close it was to being a real mess. And how they had to scrounge parts from junkyards and bodge solutions together to get enough operational airframes. (One such idea was that because the Victors had no defences, they'd fill the airbrake panels up with foil strips so when they popped the brakes, it dumped a load out as a make-shift single use chaff dispenser)

IIRC They did much the same with the Harriers at the start of the Falklands war :)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BonzoESC posted:

It's not in tineye, but I'm guessing it's a 737 Classic based on the presence of the gear downlock viewer.

See http://www.b737.org.uk/wwcomparison.htm for more aerospergin' than you can handle.

Well, that's three hours of my evening gone already :o:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

The Locator posted:

The most amazing R/C demo flight I've ever seen. Even though it's R/C, I figured everyone here might enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

That's really, really skilled... but is it flight? :confused:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Its just...wrong to let a blackbird rot.

Anyone been to the Imperial War Museum in Duxford? They have a SR-71, an A-10 and a B-52 and i never seen those planes in real life but i really really wan't to. I don't know if i'll ever be able to afford a flight to the US but England is way more affordable. Is it worth the trip?

Yes, it's bloody awesome. The Concorde prototype is great too. Try to go on a day when the radio hams have their shed open; they're old nerds but they were fun to chat to for a few minutes.

Then bed down somewhere and go to Bletchley the next day :)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Dr JonboyG posted:

You should probably steer clear of the Air and Space Museum in San Diego then. They have an A-12 outside the front that is looking sadder and sadder each year.

The one on the Intrepid was in crap condition too. The cockpit was mildewed and the tyres had bleached white and dry-rotted :(

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

s0nar posted:

Of Balloons and Goons: A Sperg's Guide to Zeppelins

I moused over that in the hope it was an Amazon preorder link :shobon:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

iyaayas01 posted:

Since it also featured an Alphajet, and because this video should be posted in the thread at least once every 6 months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8

e: the 0:49-0:53 section is still my favorite.

e2: Check out this best of GoPro video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_owZzIAfQAE

Bah. Wish i'd joined the RAF.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
This guy is bloody crackers :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7ksfRVF70

Running a rescued RB211 from a TriStar. In his back garden. (without a FOD guard)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

:britain:

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 27, 2012

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Space Gopher posted:

Wasn't one of the Euro ultra-budget carriers looking at strapping passengers into literal standing-room-only configurations?

Either Easyjet or Ryanair, and they were probably doing it for column inches.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Linedance posted:

It is an industry accepted, universally and internationally understood word, and has been for nearly as long as there have been planes from which to deplane. I mean, hell, do you take issue with deicing too?

When one deices, one removed the ice. When one deplanes, one removes... the plane?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Ghost Farts posted:

It's advertising for Berlin. Also, Germanwings just opened a new hub in Berlin-Schönefeld when they rolled out the plane. And Berlin-Schönefeld is supposed to be merged into the new international airport for Berlin, Berlin-Brandenburg International.

But why does a DogBear advertise "Berlin" :confused:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Does anyone remember that Airbus pilot that used to blog - he called aircraft Fifi, the Electric Jet.

Who was it, and does he still post?

edit: Ah, flightlevel390?

meltie fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 2, 2015

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
e: I suspect that the CT and the CG simply won't be anywhere near in line if you point an Osprey's nose at the sky, unlike a "normal" heli-mode takeoff.

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 5, 2015

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Mortabis posted:

Oh yeah, saw this flying out of LaGuardia yesterday:

I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that he's got his name painted in big loving letters on his jet. What an egomaniac.

edit: if you can't read the lettering in my terrible cell phone pic, that's Donald Trump's plane.

Everyone knows that in :britain:, "Trump" means "fart", right? Right?

Just, y'know, checking...

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Well I just spent a lazy sunday morning reading http://history.nasa.gov/ap12fj/pdf/a12_sa507-flightmanual.pdf

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Wow, someone actually managed to make a 747 ugly :eek:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

TheFluff posted:

"Gustav 52" is still going strong - it's the only flying Viggen at the moment.

Hang on, what? The Viggen is gorgeous - my favourite Airfix model from my youth. I can't believe it's not current :(

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

monkeytennis posted:

Is that where Iran got theirs from? Looks awfully familiar!

Guppy chat - never seen a Guppy but the Airbus Belugas fly over me quite often descending into Chester. Strange but beautiful things.

I used to see the Guppies flying in to Manchester Airport (Ringway!) a lot in the 90s.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Hadlock posted:

View of the cockpit before it goes back up to the rafters for another 30 years

I was there a day or two ago; how did you get that close?!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Platystemon posted:

Behold the world’s shortest commercial flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwyVWaCAD2A

There are runways longer than that.

Must be a bastard for building time :(

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Worthleast posted:

Is only 3 hours worth it for Udvar-Hazy or am I going to regret it?

It's worth it, so long as you're not taking the bus.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

slidebite posted:

Absolutely worth it without question if you are slightly interested in aircraft and spacecraft. The shuttle alone is worth it let alone everything else.

Transit sucks unless they finished the Metro expansion going out there.

They have not. I went in late Nov when flying out of DC; the bus from the airport to UH just around the corner was unsignposted and difficult to find. Ridiculous.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Hermsgervørden posted:

Would having your super sonic transport break the sound barrier in a vertical climb mitigate the boom nuisance?

It's not just passing the sound barrier that the nuisance noise is created, it is created continuously in mach+ flight.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MrChips posted:

My guess is that you saw a Sukhoi Su-30MKI - I mean, it's India's top front-line fighter aircraft, and the Indian Air Force C-17 only reinforces that.

Bloody hell that's low.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

I'm increasingly confused on which mid-body Boeings are meant for which roles - where do the 757 and 767 fit? I've only ever flown 737 and 777 here in euroland...

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Yeah, that's probably a write-off?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

slidebite posted:

Holy loving bravo :eyepop:

e: I know they are supposed to go full throttle at landing just in case but I thought that cable bled off way to much speed to recover. Do they lower flaps too?

I heard that the E2 is constant-speed prop, so they just have to adjust blade angle to get instant max power only if they realise the wire has actually snapped.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Fredrick posted:

Alright, that's it, we need to get a Museum of Flight AI group visit going at some point. So many Seattle people in this thread!

Mooecow posted:

Speaking of Seattle, has anyone done the Boeing tour? I might be swinging up that way in September and am trying to figure out what is worth doing in addition to the museum of flight.

I will also be visiting Seattle in mid-September to run around a park and eat cake. I'm planning on the factory tour and the museum at least :dance:

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Groda posted:

How would I find the accident report for the Heliostat crash?

Helistat. (Heliostat is a sun-following device)

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001213X34293&key=1 - I found it linked from the Wikipedia page.