Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

grover posted:

Hot radials on this bird, two 2,250hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-65W Double Wasp radials to be exact. Was the first US aircraft designed from inception to use radar, and our best night-fighter of WWII.

Four .50 cal machine guns coaxially mounted under the main fuselage
Four .50 cal machine guns in a dorsal turret (removed in later models)

Actually, these were even more awesome than that. The four guns on the fuselage were 20mm cannons, which pack one hell of a punch. Crazy thing is they almost rejected it in favor of keeping the de Havilland Mosquito as the primary night fighter, but were convinced otherwise when a Northrup Grumman test pilot showed how much better the Widow was. Supposedly it was one of the best handling aircraft of the war, thanks to some good engineering and the use of spoiler ailerons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

I think there's a P-40 down in the south surrounded by Migs :ohdear:

Is that a B-25 three birds south of the crazy B-29 AWACS?

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
I actually got to meet the pilot of this plane, Hank Hendrickson, and spend a couple hours hearing stories as we crawled around in the Boeing Museum of Flight's B-17. They were hit on their approach to a target over Germany, before dropping their payload. The ball turret gunner and one of the waist gunners were both killed instantly, but the navigator somehow managed to survive being about 3 feet from the shell exploding. He was thrown free of the aircraft and was lucky enough to have been wearing his parachute, and wound up spending the rest of the war in a POW camp.

After dropping the bombs over the target and turning back, this thing actually held together the 600 or so miles back to base in England. Hank said it was the softest landing he had ever made. He's on the left in these photos.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

talk show ghost posted:

Heavy metal was accurate about the interior, hah.

Pretty much every bomber from that war had an absurdly cramped interior. I have no idea how crews got out when the things were hit, because there is hardly enough room to turn around. The nose position in a B-25 pretty much consists of being crammed into a 3 foot high cabinet.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

SyHopeful posted:

German pilots also attacked bombers head-on, since it was the least-defended area. Lots of pilot/co-pilot exposure that way. It's why the B-17G got the chin turret.

Yeah, if I remember correctly the preferred attack pattern was to come in either head on or in a dive strafing across the wings and cockpit.

Of course, the poor bastard in the ball turret was really hosed if the hydraulics failed and the pilot had to do a belly landing. Without power the turret couldn't rotate to where the hatch could be opened, and he was stuck until the plane landed one way or another.

Another tactic the Germans loved was to send a captured bomber up to the formation to relay altitude and position to the flak and fighters ahead. A couple of the veterans I talked to mentioned seeing these, and that they learned pretty quickly to unload on any plane that didn't have the right squadron tail code.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

orange lime posted:

I dunno what turret you're thinking of, but the Sperry turrets were electrically powered and had backup hand cranks as well.

drat, that's what I get for posting before going to sleep. I distinctly remember reading about turrets getting jammed up and some poor gunner getting squished on a belly landing. It was still a lovely job to be stuck in a bubble for 10 hours at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
The Kee-Bird was a gently caress up of mammoth proportions on the part of the salvage guys. I read a book that had quite a bit on it a while back, and they tried to turn it into a publicity stunt instead of focusing on getting the bird out. The team leader had latched onto the idea of flying the thing out even though it was completely unfeasible. I don't know about you, but I would think twice about taking an aircraft up that had been sitting exposed to the elements for decades.