Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

my favorite exhibit at the royal canadian whatever in ontario a few years ago.

lancaster bomber. still flying. one of 2 in the world.

yes those pans on the floor were catching leaking oil from the engines. it was made in england, you know.

Hate to break it to you, but all the B-25s and B-17s I've seen have needed the same thing :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Spent all last weekend at the Great Minnesota Air Show, volunteering for the CAF and taking pictures.

Blue Angels sneak pass

Blue Angels

An EA-6B Prowler (one of the static displays) leaving at the end of the show.

The F-22 Raptor

We also got a private tour of the Raptor from the team superintendent. Awesome plane! (I'm in the white shirt)

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I got to ride along for a short hop in a WWII US Navy SNJ trainer on Sunday, as we headed from Saint Paul to Eden Prairie, MN for a small local airshow. I flew backseat in the lead plane and got to try my hand at air-to-air photography for the first time.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
A racer hit the stands in Reno today :( P-51 Galloping Ghost, there are injuries and probably fatalities. Sad day.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
http://www.tinker.af.mil/news/story_print.asp?id=123223674

There's a small pic in that article.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Captain Postal posted:

Nah, the ground knows better and just scurries out of the way. Getting hit by a B36 hurts, even if you're a mountain.

:( Unfortunately not true. A couple miles from my grandparent's place in El Paso, TX is the crash of a B-36 that hit the mountain in heavy fog. Lots of it is still up there, pretty interesting to see if you make the hike.

This shot gives some good scale as to the size of the landing gear. I'm 6'2".

Part of one of the jet engines (I think)

More gear

Part of the prop hub

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
It's at least three miles, a couple hundred feet up, and the temps are frequently well north of 100 degrees. The trail is also pretty nonexistent and it's all crawling over rocks and cactus. The crew was also killed instantly (the plane pretty much vaporized from what I understand. They didn't haul much away because it was scattered so badly) and there's a little memorial up there so I think that contributes to it not being hosed with too much.

In addition to that big stuff the whole mountainside is carpeted with tiny bits of aluminum and whatever else, so there are easy picking if you want a bit of it that doesn't require too much heavy lifting.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Cygni posted:

Just read that there actually two groups trying to restore a Twin Mustang to flying status. I still refuse to believe any of the pictures of these loving things are real, I don't care if my grandfather flew em. Yall are goofin' me and I'm tired of it.

Yep, one of them is at Anoka County Airport in Blaine, MN. I got to tour their hangar a year or two ago and they had it in pieces. They needed a feathering prop for the reversed side engine and were having a bitch of a time finding one/getting one made. The Air Force has at least one on the F-82 on display at Lackland AFB but apparently they were rather unhelpful. They said that the current estimate was well over a million to get some German engineering firm to reverse engineer it.

I'll see if I have the pics around tomorrow. The same guys owned 2 B-25s, a Grumman Albatross, some bizjet, about a dozen Corvettes and Vipers, and 50+ motorcycles, all in the hangar. Nuts.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Here are some pics of that F-82 I got to see:

And here's the B-25 Betty's Dream which they owned at the time.

They don't own it any more (I don't think) but it's in that photo on the last page with all the B-25s. I think Lady Luck (their other one) and Miss Mitchell (the CAF B-25 I've worked on here in MN) are in it too but they are harder to pick out.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

HeyEng posted:

Back to Avengers airplane talk--what the hell was the other jet on the flight deck? It had a pointy nose. Looked like an L-39.

Pretty sure it was an Alphajet. Wikipedia agrees:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault/Dornier_Alpha_Jet

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Well, we sweet talked our way into media day at the MN Air Spectacular today. Saw the Blues, Sean Tucker, and I got to lay on the edge of a taxiway as two Superhornets rolled nearly over me. Got some kick rear end pictures but it's going to take a while to sort 30gb...

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Delivery McGee posted:

Airboyd has uploaded the NTSB hearing on last year's crash at Reno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMmhOkXQB0s

Skip ahead to 10 minutes or so to get past the introductions.

Jesus that seems pretty damning of the maintenance and modifications of the Ghost. Locknuts not replaced in 26 years!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Yeah, if you're shooting prop planes it's important to not freeze the shutter. The slower the better for that, but it's way harder to get a sharp shot shooting at 1/200th and lower sometimes, so be prepared to sacrifice perfect blur.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
But with a rebel you'll only get a couple shots on raw before the buffer is full. Good argument for JPEG.

EDIT: Shooting high speed burst will help with getting more in-focus shots at low shutter speeds, catching vapor on jets (it usually flickers real fast), and catching planes crossing or doing some of the cooler maneuvers like this!

pbpancho fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 14, 2012

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Leviathor posted:

With RAW, there's never a [good] reason to shoot JPEG [only].

Except that shooting RAW+JPEG will make the T3i buffer fill even FASTER. I advocate RAW for almost anything but high-speed action, ie sports or aviation. The exception being if I'm shooting air-to-air since I have a little more control of the situation.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Godholio posted:

I haven't been there since 2005, so I don't know what the setup is now. If it's inside the gate, no. Usually they try to arrange these air parks so you can access it from outside the base (ie, they move the fenceline so the park is outside).

It's inside the gate, although JUST inside if I remember right.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

YF19pilot posted:

My dad recently got a photo with Darrel Whitcomb and his book "On A Steel Horse I Ride: A History of the MH-53 Pavelow" (my dad was a crew chief on the Pavelows). I'm thinking of getting a copy for myself, but Amazon and Barnes & Nobles don't have any copies. Also can't find it on ebay. Anyone know were I might be able to find a copy?

Not a print copy, but this looks to be the whole thing as a PDF
http://aupress.au.af.mil/digital/pdf/book/Whitcomb.pdf

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Here you go, somebody's already solved this problem for us!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exint_pod

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Sir Cornelius posted:

Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden.

Yep, this is a great book.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
There's a museum in Rapid City, SD as well. Just off Ellsworth AFB. Not huge but its just off the interstate.

http://www.sdairandspacemuseum.com/

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

buttcrackmenace posted:

Holy poo poo. Nikon needs to sell an AF-S version of this lens.

That would be HUGE and cost as much as a house. It's only possible due to the smaller sensor size.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's a little quiet, thread. Haev images:

I've been in the plane in the foreground. It was based about 15 minutes away for years before the CAF (I think) bought it.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

I did it in the Collings Foundation one a few years ago. Got to try out all the seats, and stick my head out the top hatch. Super cool!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Eh, I took my kid to see my grandparents when he was 6 months. He was great, loved the whole thing. It can definitely work.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

mobby_6kl posted:

I tend not to read most of the signs in museums even when I'm alone with nothing better to do. Even in smaller museums It'll take really forever to get through and by the end I won't remember poo poo about specific aircraft anyway. Here's the aviation museum in Krakow:

Nope nope nope

This is an awesome museum with a bunch of super weird and interesting aircraft. And about 30 MiG-21s of various flavors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

You wouldn't be wrong. I want that F-14...

Also Lego just announced a 2083-piece Concorde set, so RIP paycheck.

I just snagged this at a huge discount from a friend of mine (Brickmania, not COBI)

Only registered members can see post attachments!