Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Screen Shots:

Please dont share these anywhere else.

D C fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powercube posted:

Holy poo poo, those are fantastic! Any more Buffalo stuff to share?

edit: is that the CL-215 that Joe decides to sell to Turkey ?

I dont think so, they have a handfull of 215s, we got whatever one happened to be ready to go on that day.

The footage isnt for Ice Pilots, its another project, and the planes will be digitally repainted so I don't feel too guilty about posting those.

The DC3 is the only actually Buffalo branded plane we shot.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powercube posted:

I'll check it out, I think it is- but you are right that they have a lot of them. Can't wait to see the digital repaints; then laugh at the fake regos.

Few more 215 just for you

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Mike-o posted:

They digitally repaint the planes for stuff? What....why? :psyduck:

TV shows.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Cygni posted:

That's a great rate, too. Robinson or something?

Probably a Jet Ranger.

A-Stars are around 2k an hour.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've gotten FM signals on a flight before which I thought was crazy.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I fly in helicopters a lot, 4 of us in the cabin sitting right next to the instruments all with cellphones on, and using them, never seen the instruments be effected.

Or my iPad on wireless sitting in my backpack next to me, or my laptop powered on between the seats....

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I spent 2 years cutting carbon fiber hockey sticks with a hacksaw, and running the edges on a grinder to smooth them out, does that mean I'm going to die?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

FullMetalJacket posted:

ooooooooh no you didn't! i'mma lay a helvecta of a slap down on you from my archive of quality frames

Clrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-V

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

EightBit posted:

The pilots are different and though it is hard to tell, the tail numbers at least have different last digits. If it is a Photoshop, it was done with amazing skill.

It was a joke geeze!

In other news, we bought a new camera system in December...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

LOO posted:

Found this on Imgur, and had to share it.

It was said to have been taken aboard an aircraft carrier while in the Arabian Gulf.

(Click for big)

Edit: The aircraft is a Grumman C-2A Greyhound

Scimitar props own.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Speaking of flight tracker...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Porter is awesome, I've only flown them once from Toronto to Boston for work (I live in Vancouver) but it was as nice a flight as you can get in a Q400. Their terminal on the island is nice, its like a first class lounge that everyone gets access too.

More competition in Canada can only be a good thing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
YHM!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

ctishman posted:

Okay, I was browsing around your link and I've found another stumper nearby:

Who the hell's plane is this?

It says "People's Democra-" on it (the rest is inside the hangar). From what I can see, it has the emblem of some nation painted on the side, but I can't pinpoint a match with the flag of any nation that has "People's Democratic" in its name.

So whose plane is this?

I spent WAY to long researching this

Threw me off cause it looks super teal in the picture and I wrote off Algeria off the bat.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

mustard_tiger posted:

I know this is a stupid question, but did the drone land on the aircraft carrier after? I remember a saw a post earlier of a test with an arresting hook that proved it could be done.

At the end of the video theres a shot of the drone landing on land. I'm sure they'll work up gradually to landing on the carrier, it might even be hand flown down to a carrier.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Plinkey posted:

I don't think that they did. Pretty sure that it was just loaded onto the carrier. The first landing on a carrier would have been bigger news than the launch.

You just agreed with what I posted?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MrChips posted:

I guess I could consider myself fortunate, as we still get a smattering of 737 "Jurassic" traffic here at YYC, but nothing like it was 10 years ago when Westjet still had dozens of them.

The northern airlines still use them, like First Air, Canadian North, and Air North, but holy poo poo they are loud, like cover your ears when they taxi by loud.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

StandardVC10 posted:

San Bernardino International Airport is this weird almost completely unused facility surrounded by grocery store warehouses. I went there yesterday to see the 747-8i Boeing is doing testing on out there

That place is pretty funny, we worked on a AA commercial there a few months ago, and it was empty, I was hanigng out in the massive super nice FBO that had no traffic at all the whole weekend we were there.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I havent seen the KLM MD11 in Vancouver in a while, makes me sad. DC10 was my favorite airliner.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Polymerized Cum posted:

Female pilot doing a photo op over downtown Honolulu has an engine failure and manages a (somewhat) successful auto. She's in the hospital but alive.

Successful as in she survived I guess.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

azflyboy posted:

I have a family member who has spent a long time dealing with ITAR (as it applies to spacecraft), and they've just learned to deal with the stupidity. In one case, a foreign grad student did a lot of work on developing a scientific instrument, but was banned from seeing any data generated by said instrument because of ITAR.

Horray for ITAR, we own 2 camera systems that have a controlled IMU, therefor we have to be ITAR certified and also go through the Controlled Goods Directorate inspection to be able to house the things in Canada.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

azflyboy posted:

There's at least one still flying around in the US, although I have no idea how the owners can afford to keep running it. Since even the later Jetstar models are running 1970's vintage engines, they'll typically burn through a bit more than twice as much fuel for a given flight as a modern Learjet, and I'm sure parts are getting to be pretty expensive as well.

Theres one at Atlantic at Midway in Chicago. I have to stop and peek into the hangar every time I'm there.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pre WW2 airport, that neighbourhood has been around for about 5 years, and they are still trying to get the airport shut down.

Also at YVR there is a neighbourhood called Burkeville that is in between the two runways, I'd seriously consider a place there because I work out of the airport or fly out so much.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

OptimusMatrix posted:

Have a video of the "Jetman" formation flying with a B-17. he starts flying about a minute in. I'd give anything to be this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUUYuvheS3M

Hey thats my camera.

Bit of a funny deal, the FAA seemed to be doing everything possible to scuttle his flight at the airshow. Going as far as saying that he needed to get his multi rating, he asked them who was going to give him the check ride.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

parrhesia posted:

Berlin Brandenburg will open roughly when Berlin as a state isn't poorer than Germany on average. So never.

And Frankfurt airport is a shitshow, especially Terminal 1. I used to regularly fly Frankfurt-Incheon and it's hard to come up with a bigger contrast in airport quality. Flying back into Frankfurt was always slightly depressing.
I can't wait until they open Terminal 3, which is on the other side of the goddamn runways. Good luck if you have to transfer to or from that terminal.

I go from YVR to LAX on a regular basis, its night and day different.

I wish they would bulldoze LAX and start again. Separating airlines by terminals and having no train line connecting them is terrible, getting in and out of the airport is terrible, most of the terminals are terrible. Heaven help you if you are flying out of Terminal 1, the check in lines and the security lines often stretch out the door and down the street its so bad.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Mobius1B7R posted:

Absolutely incredible air to air from a Lear of many different types of planes. Love when the F-15s go burner and pull away.

http://vimeo.com/70994185

I work with these guys sometimes, they run a pretty cool setup.

Some of the shots look CG due to the stability of the shots, rare to see fully stable shots of stuff in motion and not having anything to compare the speed or movement to makes it seem 'off'

Here's the flightpath of the brand new AA 777 we shot for a commercial introducing the "New AA"

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

ctishman posted:

Saw this flying over North Seattle this afternoon, but all I had was my phone to get a picture. Anyone know what it is?

Edit: I should say that the engine sounded pretty loud. It looks like a model in the photo, but it was too loud and low to be, in my opinion

I was going to say Beech Starship but that looks like it only has 1 engine.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

invision posted:

Not mil, I'm doing it through the local college (and hillsboro aviation if that means anything)

Granted, I'm not looking at this completely for a ~career~, but it would be nice to know that if something happens with me firefighting that I'd have something to kind of fall back on. I guess a "job market report" on helos vs fixed wing is really what I'm looking for. The people at the school swear up and down its possible to transition to a turbine job after being a CFII for a year or two, but I've also heard the exact opposite of that.

Really I just want to fly for enjoyment, but if I could get a job doing it, that's even better.

Its a lot easier and cheaper to learn airmanship in fixed wing then when you are learning to fly helis then you can just concentrate on flying that, not trying to learn how to fly in general.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I turned on the FM radio on my iPod Nano last year somewhere over Chicago at cruise altitude and amazingly I was able to pick up stations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Lots of airlines have Recaros; they make lots of different model of seat, and I think only recently did they start silk-screening their logo where passengers can find it.

I've been seein them for quite a long time.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Terrible Robot posted:

A modified 737 with hard-points is loving awesome and makes me feel funny in my pants; it's my favorite new plane.

E: Years ago I imported the plane files from Flight Simulator 2000 into Combat Flight Sim 2. Much fun was had dogfighting in a 737-300, and I think it's hilariously cool that it is now (kind of) a reality.

Theres a brand new Navy 737 sitting at Boeing in Renton right now.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Think its a P-8. What made it stand out on the lineup (besides the grey paint) was the lack of winglets.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Just for the record Mikey is one of the coolest guys I've ever met. Great guy to go drinking with too.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Boomerjinks posted:

Mercury Ballistic's post in the Awesome AI poo poo thread about cool car art got me thinking about something I saw years ago, maybe it was actually originally posted here.

This guy does really amazing pop art with warbirds, definitely what I figure you guys would want for Christmas.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/56567793/vintage-wwii-airplane-illustration-of-a?ref=shop_home_feat

Reminds me of

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
777 or bust on international travel.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Koesj posted:

Is this really a big thing for you? I can think of a number of way bigger influences on my intercontinental comforts over the years, airline and load factor in general, stressful connections in places like CDG or FRA specifically, and having a full day shaved off of a NY trip by a broken Delta plane representing absolute rock bottom.

Having to sit through a 7hr direct connection by 738 charter isn't that large of a hit to take compared to a 777 10 abreast cattle class EK flight, chaos and all :shrug:

I dont really care, they are just more comfortable. Plus I'm usually in business for international travel so...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

This beautiful beast was at YVR a few months ago, parked near my shop, I oogled it for a while. I love the raccoon eyes.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Preoptopus posted:

Im sorry to continue the derail but this is bothering me for no good reason. Plus the boat thread is so boring and dead.

Thats Andrey Melnichenko's yacht whos name is almost as ugly as it is. "The Moter Yacht A"

A proper boat is the Maltese Falcon

Was talking about Yachts earlier today, found the greatest picture ever of the Maltese Falcon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

FrozenVent posted:

Looks like the cheaped out on the back half of the plane, must be an Airbus product.

Yeah look how bad those interior finishings look.