Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

CBJamo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYDZbOutkpA

That came up over in the awesome thread. There are several shots with another helicopter in them. I'm sure they were shooting on a long lens and had good separation, but it made me wonder how that's handled. Does ATC control it, are they just VFR and see and avoid, does the local leo somehow control it? Has there ever been issues with news helos getting in the way of leo or fire helos, well I'm sure it has happened, but any cool stories?

The pilots take altitudes as they show up to the scene and stay pretty rigid at those altitudes, rest is see and avoid. The camera gimbals have really long lenses on them so they can get a tight image and it also makes everything else look somewhat stacked up so the other helicopters look closer.

Incidences have happened over the years but not that common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a5TSb__rn4

Cant find where I uploaded a test clip where you can really see the zoom but we were on the ground stationary during that whole clip.

D C fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Platystemon posted:

Air Canada’s finest

Frank Lee Blind

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sagebrush posted:

I rarely get sick any more, but when I do, it's inevitably after flying cross-country.

Airliners are extremely gross.

Thats mostly because everyone on the plane is full of sicknesses from across the world that you may not have been exposed to yet. People are gross.

When I started traveling for work I was getting sick pretty often after being in different parts of the country and spending a lot of time in airlines and airports. After about a year or two it tailed off. I'd like to think my immune system is super powered now.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The funny thing is that if he'd bothered to turn his phone off, she'd have been poo poo out of luck since most phones require a PIN on the first biometric check after a fresh boot...probably to prevent poo poo just like this.

But ~noooooo~, Brosef had to be the first on landing to check who be blowin' up his phone.

He turned on airplane mode like 99.9% of the world does. Does anyone actually turn their phone off on planes?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Bob A Feet posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...2!4d-77.4509628

Basically under or around any USN/USMC CH-53 is gallons of oil, hydraulic fluid, and soot. There is a reason they are called the "Shitter." Hell, they are called that by their own pilots and aircrew.

Twin-Stars are on a similar level, Leak-Stars. I hate working on them or putting my equipment on them because it always ends up covered in oil and hydraulic fluid as well. One of the local companies actually switched to gear oil in some of their components which makes it even worse.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

cowboy elvis posted:

Dunkirk is out in blu ray and has some very cool special features covering the production. Particularly the aerial stuff is cool as hell. They modified the hell out of a Yak-52 for the Spitfire shots.

yup

Also this

And these

D C fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 21, 2017

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

dupersaurus posted:

"We've got this big expensive camera rigged up to the tail of an airplane, but how do we keep the lens dry?"
"Just wrap a garbage bag over it"

You've clearly never been around a film crew. Tape and plastic, instant weatherproofing. That was before we ripped a hole for the lens element and taped that too.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

hobbesmaster posted:

ANA and United have a joint venture and both operate flights flying LAX-NRT that depart at 10:45 am.
ANA175 - a 777: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA175/history/20171227/1845Z/KLAX/RJAA
United 32 - a 787: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL32/history/20171227/1845Z/KLAX/RJAA

ANA175 is also known as United 7925. There were two United flights going from LAX to NRT departing at 10:45am. Are ANA flights handled by United on the ground at LAX?

Speaking of this, Air Canada runs flight AC557 and AC577 from LAX to YVR that take off within an hour of each other usually with gates next door to each other.

Its really loving confusing to me and I fly a ton.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Just say cock.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MrYenko posted:

Without having seen the pictures, I can still say with near-certainty that it’s a four point harness with a single twist release on the chest. All you have to do is twist, three of the four straps release from the center buckle, and you are out. It’s a sub-one-second operation.

Either the tour operator failed to properly brief the pax on how the harnesses worked, or they froze up and panicked. Possibly both.

They were flying with the door off/open with a photographer so they were wearing safety harnesses not the standard seatbelts.

Most of the time I’ve seen those harnesses used they were solid attached with a carabiner attached underneath the rear seats to one of the seatbelt hard points. No way you can undo that yourself without somehow climbing out of the harness on your body.

Also why we don’t allow anymore people then required for photo flights/filming. If it was truly a chartered photo flight there’s zero reason for the machine to be completely full.

One report I saw said that someone’s bag pulled the emergency fuel cutoff lever that’s between the front seats. Low altitude, low airspeed for taking pictures the pilot barely had enough time to pop the floats before it hit the ground.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Huh, that's what I was imagining as well, but apparently not:

Bag strap eyed in fatal chopper crash

That sounds like a lot of points, but I still can't imagine it not having some sort of quick-release function.

That 8 point harness quote is from a competing helicopter company not Liberty, trying to latch on some advertising to the tragedy. I’ve never seen an Astar with more then a 3 point in the rear (if not a 2 point) and 4 point for the pilot/copilot up front.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I cant imagine the noise that a few of these flying around will make. Helicopters are bad enough.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
BA's 747s have the worst buisness class setup I've seen. Its nice you get your own pod but its really awkward looking face to face with your neighbour until you get to altitude and put the screen up.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

slidebite posted:

But how do they do it? Serve it at your feet and you reach down to get it?

They actually drop the divider window and pass it over the other passenger, including drinks. It is really quite awkward.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

blugu64 posted:

They look cool and futuristic

right?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I forgot I could post this poo poo now.

Hispano Buchon (dressed as a ME109) flyover while working on Dunkirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZPSJ4dtnZ0

Mk1 Spitfire landing on the beach in Dunkirk with the A-Star camera helicopter next to it. I didnt take this clip so excuse the extra long slow-mo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJWWyAyAgpo

And a giant RC model of a bomber (I forget what one) taking off being flown by a RC pilot in the helicopter, this took some practice to get right. Caution volume at the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI5n76-2yQo

D C fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2018

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is A-star a company or does the name mean something specific (aside from 'this honkey can film'.)

Also having seen the model work that the CBC did when making that Arrow miniseries, I think it is a smart way to do old-timey airplanes

A-Star as in the Aérospatiale/Eurocopter AS350 Écureuil, Im not sure if A-Star is just what the call them in the states or if its everyone outside of French speaking countries that refer to them as the Écureuil (Squirrel).

The twin engine AS355 is refereed to as a Twin-Star.

Pretty much the worldwide standard for filming.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

priznat posted:

D C post the Hardy-est pics u got!!

(He wasnt around because he refused to get in the planes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

priznat posted:

:negative: n-nooooo

method actor my rear end

Jack Lowden did though, but he was pretty green and probably want to be team player, real nice guy.