Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Petekill posted:

* Did anyone else used to get those little info cards in the mail each month? They were like 2 page fold out things that profiled a jet or helicopter, and you got a stack of like 10 of them each month in the mail. I had huge honkin binders full of those things. I wish I could find them now, but they've probably been long-since garagesaled.

I have a couple binders of those laying around here somewhere...

I dropped some money on a bunch of books from Amazon on the SR71, 3 or 4 books total. I have always loved that airplane since my grandpa took my brother and I to an airshow 15-20yr ago and we got to touch one! he picked us each up and held us out to touch it behind the red velvet ropes I had no idea how much technology and skill was behind the aircraft until I started reading the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

orange lime posted:

Still not as bad, I think, as being the ventral gunner in (and I do literally mean IN) the ball turret on a B-24 or B-17. I regrettably forgot to take a picture of the one on a -24 at the Pima museum -- they have a dummy stuffed inside in firing position, and let me say that I can see why they had the youngest, smallest kids on the bomber crews.

Here's how you operated that turret:

Yep. Rolled up into a fetal position, sighting between your legs, with the guns mounted directly beside your ears, crammed into a conspicuous three-foot-wide ball that hangs off the bottom of the plane. The only way in or out is through a hatch in the top (which leads into another cramped space full of electronics and ammo belts) that requires the guns to be unlocked and swung around to access. I wonder if any ball turret gunners in a plane that was going down ever made it out alive.

[e] "Ironically, post war analysis of B-17 crew fatality records revealed that the ball turret gunner had the safest job on the plane (with the pilot having the most dangerous)." The more you know! From here:

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~josephkennedy/sperry_ball_turret.htm

My Grandpa was the ball-turret gunner in the B-24, he showed us when we were younger how he got in and out of the thing. He basically got in upside down, and dealt with it for hours at a time. I only wish he hadn't died before I could ask more about it :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mobius1B7R posted:

Is it easy to get to there from the actual airport? I was thinking of actually taking advantage of my flight benefits and taking a day trip up there to see it.

I've been telling myself that I need to do the same thing for a year or so...still haven't gotten out there :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

sandoz posted:

While this picture is boner-inducing on it's own, I posted it to seek an answer to a long-standing question: What the heck are those little winglets hanging down below the ailerons? All of the Red Bull Air Race planes seem to have them.

Think of them as power steering for the roll axis.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Those would be boost tabs ;-) THOSE are killer. they allow a mere mortal to steer a b29.

I've been a pilot for a long time and I don't recall ever hearing that term...

I think what you're talking about is called an antiservo tabs. The winglets that sandoz is asking about are called aileron spades.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Epic Fail Guy posted:

gently caress me, I get to experience one of the pride of Delta's MD-90s next week :argh:

As much as I hate flying Delta and everything about their "operation", I like their MD90s a ton (provided I get 1st class or a seat towards the front).

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

BonzoESC posted:

AEROSPERGIN' BOOK CLUB

I just finished Outlaws Inc. this morning. It's about Russians affected by the collapse of the Soviet Union taking IL-76s and starting independent cargo operations, with all the sketchiness and mafia connections that implies.

I just got the the other day from Amazon, probably from the other recommendation!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Nerobro posted:

I remember all the CRJ complaints in here. I found a good explanation of why they suck so bad.

They have no leading edge lift generation devices. At landing speed, they would descend level at a 7 deg angle. ...... Commercial landing paths are 10 deg. So they're flying INTO the runway. The proper landing procedure has them pulling up hard at 50' AGL into a 6deg up angle before touchdown.

This just sounds like crashing to me.

And when you sit in the jumpseat it really does look like you're going to crash.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

And reposting some B-1's :allears:

I snagged this one from the last time it was posted, it became my wallpaper spread across two monitors :allears:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mobius1B7R posted:

And all this talk about paying for tickets, I can fly for free. :smug: I don't fly often enough though, I really should just go on random daytrips just for the hell of it (I work for an airline).

The only nice thing about working for the airlines! I did 59 legs last calendar year and only spent $60 on int'l taxes.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mobius1B7R posted:

I don't understand why all this stupid stuff is happening at the airline I work for. Maybe we need better screening.

poo poo happens everywhere. The airline I used to work for has its share of crazies too.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Saw this fatty flying into JFK on Sunday

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I saw something at JFK a week or two ago that I can't find any info on. It looked like an A330 painted all white except for a section (maybe 5') of the fuselage between the wings and the cockpit that was bare metal, like a fuselage extension or something. It wasn't at a terminal, it was parked by the hangars on the north end of 13L. There were absolutely no markings on it that I saw, no reg # or anything. I could be wrong as I wasn't exactly right next to it. Likely a diplomat's plane but I have no idea.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Did the bare metal ring go all the way around the fuse? That sounds a lot like a main-deck cargo door installation in an ex-passenger bird.

As far as I could tell it did.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Goddamn, the internet is an amazing place.

It belongs to the emir of Qatar.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=A7-HHM

Amazing, thanks for finding it!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mistayke posted:

I thought I'd share an experience I had yesterday.

I live within close proximity to JFK Airport over here in Queens, NY. And during the late afternoon, I saw my first A380 taking off. It couldn't have been more than a thousand feet off the ground.

It literally made people stop and stare. The sound was unmistakable. I've never heard an aircraft sound like this, so it made me look up and there it was. This massive beast slowly lifting in to the air. It was like a religious experience.

Anyway, thought I'd share it. Was pretty awesome looking.

I know what you mean, I lived right by JFK (I could see the approach lights from my kitchen) in Howard Beach until April when I moved to Long Island. The biggest things out of ISP are the SWA 737s; I really miss the big stuff at JFK!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mistayke posted:

That's where I live! Lenny's Clam Bar 4LYFE!

Lenny's and New Park pizza I miss terribly. The food in LI is god awful compared to even what is in HB!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is what I assumed. If you *do* have to stop a loud angry drunk from boarding, it's nice to know there's a simple, unequivocal rule backing you up.

When I worked catering at JFK for BA I was standing on the jet bridge as the lead flight attendant and captain were talking to a drunk passenger. The guy was being a total dick but everyone just wanted to get out of there, so they agreed to let the guy one. As he was stepping back onto the plane he made some comment that I couldn't hear. The FA looked at the captain and gave him the "gently caress this" look and they booted the guy off and told him he couldn't fly until he sobered up. I was really surprised they didn't call the cops on him. I was also there when they pulled the guy off the Iceland Air flight that was duct taped to his seat by the other passengers. I don't miss that job.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

azflyboy posted:

It's not entirely WW2, but Ernest Gann's Fate Is the Hunter is probably one of the best flying related books ever written. It covers his career from flying for American Airlines in DC-2's and DC-3's, to flying transports over The Hump during WW2, as well as flying for various upstart airlines after the war.

This is absolutely one of my favorite books and I'm pretty sure I first heard about it either in this thread or the ask/tell pilot thread a few years ago. I just finished reading it again a week or two ago.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

A Melted Tarp posted:

If these people only knew how often their doctor left the room to go Google poo poo on their iphone.

I had a doctor google something right in front of me on a visit a few years ago.

My dad called me one time, he was flying on business and they did a go around. He was upset that the pilots didn't jump right on the pa and explain what happened. I had to explain what the pilots were going through and who they were talking with and that they were in general very busy. That seemed to appease him but I could tell he was still bothered that they didn't say anything until they had turned back for another approach.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

We have a joke about how if there's a cloud between Indy Center and Chicago Center, we're getting all their O'hare arrivals.

Except it's not a joke. We've had a loving line moving through our airspace, and there was what appeared to be a single cell along their arrival, and they put the playbook into effect that sends them through KC center right into this line. Our traffic management unit gets no say when it comes to stuff like that and it's pretty pathetic.

Not a joke in the NY area either. The second a cloud rolls through ZNY flights start holding.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

Part of me thinks this the absolute wrong thread, but another part thinks this is the absolute best thread to ask, what is life like living near an air force base or a small airport? Wife and I are looking into buying a house, and we are seeing a lot of houses that are approximately 1 mile or less west of the airport are lower priced, and houses that are about 1 mile north and 2 miles east of the air force base are also a better value. I am in Wichita so the offending noise sources are ICT and McConnell AFB, just looking at google maps it appears their runways each run pretty close to straight north and south. I am assuming that that noise would be the worst in a line near the ends of the runway since that would be where the plains are close to the ground at full throttle for takeoff. I'm pretty much not concerned with the local airport because just look at that busy flight schedule, they could fit all the arrivals and departures on one screen. :haw:

So, if anyone has any experience living near an airport (if ICT is even fit to be called an airport. . .) or an AFB, please let me know about the noise or what areas I should avoid, like I probably don't want a house at the end of the runway. Feel free to yell at me if you know a better thread to post my question.

I used to live right by JFK. We we're right off the extended centerline of a runway and as you would imagine it was pretty much constant traffic. We've moved since and we both find ourselves missing the noise. We're now looking at buying a house back in the area that we're from and we're looking specifically to be close to a major airport. But I realize that we're firmly in the minority here.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

I would really like to recommend a book: Viper Pilot by Dan Hampton. All about an f-16 pilots experiences in the gulf war and in Iraq in the 2000s

I just read this a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it too.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Flikken posted:

I liked the part when Charlotte ATC tried to get him to shoot down SF choppers after 9/11.

I got a kick out of that. I don't the the 7110 has anything on issuing clearances for launching missiles!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Barnsy posted:

That's a fail and a half. Looks like the whole plane shifted, seeing how the left landing gear are bent the wrong way.

The gear probably wasn't locked. If it was up on stands they were probably doing a gear swing or something similar. It definitely looks like it shifted, and with the gear not locked it had nothing solid to land on.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

What's the general opinion of airline dispatch? Mystical weather wizards? Fuel economy obsessives? Any commercial/big airline dispatchers in the thread with stories to tell?

Just learned dispatch is more than I thought it was; a work chum wants to do it but can't find any openings.

Just About Done posted:

Seconding this- anyone have any wisdom about dispatch as a career? I'm thinking about taking classes for the dispatch license this fall but not completely convinced it'll be worth the investment. The school says there are many jobs opening in the next 6-12 months, but a less biased source would be greatly appreciated!

My wife is a dispatcher for a 121 carrier and has experience with a 121 supplemental carrier as well (although that was a while ago). She loves her job and is happy to answer any questions.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

BAW A318 KJFK-EGLC :suicide:

I used to cater that plane at JFK and it is really roomy inside with only 32 seats. The flight attendants were always much nicer than the wide body crews.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

Most domestic narrow bodies I've been in the cockpit of cruise in the .78-.83 range so I guess they're technically slower than the international stuff but not always, and even then not by much.

I take position reports over the radio for oceanic flights and .78-.83 covers drat near all the flights (narrow and wide bodies). The 787s I work are normally .85 and occasionally I get a bizjet going .86-.91 (.91 I've seen exactly once).

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Shampoo posted:

I'm guessing some billionaire that doesn't mind paying the $texas fuel price for the small jump in speed?

That'd be my guess too.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

luminalflux posted:

What accomodations for a small plane like that are there at O'Hare?

There's probably an FBO where the pilots can hang out, get fuel, etc. I haven't watched the video (I'm at work) but it sounds like they asked for "full stop, taxi back" meaning they landed then taxied back to depart immediately.

I landed at MSP in an Arrow to pick someone up at the fbo. They were able to slip us into the arrivals on a super short pattern and I don't remember getting any attitude from the controllers.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 22, 2014

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Ola posted:

I bet some airlines have a master sommelier in first class, when will lumbersexual baristas enter aviation?

Turkish Airlines have two chefs on board long haul flights.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

Look at you rubes with weekends off :smug:

I like having my days off during the week for that specific reason. Way less people doing what I want to do. Fishing, riding my bike, going to museums, etc...

The benefit to 24/7 jobs! I love having days off during the week

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Ball park, how much is the bill for being tracked by a c130 and then picked up by an operating cruise liner? Not to mention the total loss of the plane. Im assuming you have insurance for that sort of thing.

I would hope that they don't charge much, if anything, for legitimate emergencies not caused by negligence. Hopefully the pilot had sufficient ferry insurance, I can't imagine being on the hook for something like that.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is the AN124 bigger than a 747?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

Had to go back and check the logs on my ADS-B/Mode S software, and sure enough, this plane was within range of my receiver at 10PM last night. First entry here:

What software is that? I'm looking for something like that to log the ADS traffic overhead. I already have the ADS set up with flightaware and flightradar 24 but they don't give logs like that!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

It's Active Display Pro. I think after the GBP -> USD conversion, it was around $38 for a year subscription. It's awesome enough that I will happily renew next year. They also make a free "Lite" version, but it's really made to work with Kinetic's SBS Basestation software, and it was a real pain the rear end to get it working with anything else. I finally just bit the bullet and paid for the Pro version, which is much more robust and will talk to pretty much any other popular aircraft-related software without too much futzing around. I use the free Virtual Radar Server as my map/real-time display. Everything is saved in a local database, so you can go back and look stuff up like I did with the Air Canada flight. :)

Awesome, thanks!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Brovine posted:

I believe this might be relevant right now.

Those have the nastiest interiors of any plane I've been on.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Psion posted:

Does anyone know about how airlines assign flight numbers? Is there any rhyme or reason to how they do half of this?

I'm sure it varies on an airline to airline basis - some seem to keep the route number the same regardless of which plane flies it and some keep the same flight number attached to the same plane no matter what it's doing - but it's not consistent and if there's some underlying pattern I sure don't see it. My favorite is when you see the same plane keep a flight number 3 times in a day as it hops across the country and then that flight number magically appears on another airplane at another airport and goes to a completely different place for the last flight of the day.

I guess basically hit me with any stories you've got about assigning flight numbers? I'm curious about it.

Sometimes there is significance in a flight number. British Airways kept the Concorde flight numbers for their A318 that flies to JFK from London City. Jetblue uses certain numbers for milestone flights (JBU1 is JFK-FLL which was their first flight).

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

I had a plane wait on me at DFW. It was 10 pm local on Christmas Eve and I was the last one coming. I got there 10 minutes late (still sprinted) but the gate was open and the agent closed the door behind me. Im guessing they were probably waiting on clearance or their push back time but still, pretty cool

When I worked at the ramp tower in MSP it was usually my call to hold a flight for people running late. I always held flights on holidays and for reasonable sized groups. It helped that I knew I was going to be laid off when the lovely company declared bankruptcy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

And it bounces in weird ways depending on the time of day and space weather.

You hear some weird poo poo in the middle of the night too. I work HF radios overnight and hear some weird poo poo.

Linedance posted:

And pilots these days with their satcoms and their instant digital communication... Writing up that the HF has poor reception.
Yes, it is HF. Maybe the sun farted.

Sun farts are the worst especially when they cover our entire frequency range leaving us with nothing usable.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 9, 2015