Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

We need more trains. Please be a train communist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Having hosed up a number of landings in training with side-loading and landing flat, I can say 172s are pretty sturdy aircraft.

I'm still just a student pilot, but I accept that most mechanical things can fail at some point, that's why we have checklists and should be regularly training on emergency responses/troubleshooting. Also, who's to say that brand new million dollar+ Cirrus doesn't have build issues or faulty parts out the door? Airplanes can be lemons just like any vehicle.

If a pilot is flying close enough to thunderstorms to be hit by lighting, they've got bigger problems than worrying about the thickness of the plane's paint job. :(

I suppose if you really want, maybe do a deeper dive into the flight school you'd want to use. Ask to look over the maintenance logbook for the plane(s) you'd be flying, ask where they get maintained, maybe talk to those A&Ps.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

fknlo posted:

And it very much turns into the thing where it reinforces the behavior because it turned out fine the last time.

Normalization of deviance is such an awful thing.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Aeronautical Insanity: This video is private

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looks like there might also have been a prop strike on the starboard side?