Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The worst part is now there's a sim enthusiast with no training who truly believes that this poo poo is easy and everyone is too uptight.

It me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The number 1 reason for ticket prices going up is that tickets are being bought.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think a lot of airlines have fingers crossed for a huge travel boom this summer and are starting high. If they don't fill up, prices will drop closer to the travel. If they do fill up, prices will go more up. I have two trips planned this year, both by car.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Weedlee-dap-a-deedlee-dap-a-woop-woop, pull up now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What's going on with VFR into IMC? There isn't much GA stuff that happens in Norway, but today two things got released, the final report of an R-44 that hit a span in bad weather, and the names of a missing father and son who went into a Dutch canal on Sunday under conditions that a local FI described as "not safe" and upon hearing of the accident was "not surprised".

https://havarikommisjonen.no/Luftfart/Avgitte-rapporter/2022-04

https://www.nrk.no/vestland/filip-og-lars-haukeland-er-savnet-etter-smaflyet-styrtet-i-nederland-1.15994597

Is it a "normal" amount of accidents, or is there perhaps something with the artificial horizons on modern EFIS-avionics that gives non-IFR pilots a false sense of security? Maybe many of them are getting away with sketchy stuff that people were more reluctant to try before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I've often looked back at old accident reports on ASN, and this isn't new at all. Way too many people losing their lives through overconfidence or stupidity flying into IMC sans training.

I don't mean that it's new per se. It's just that the mortality in all kinds of technical stuff has gone down a lot the past decades, car accidents in particular. So when stuff appears to deteriorate again it really sticks out. Could be a confirmation bias thing, but I feel like VFR into IMC is one of those, Kobe being the big one in recent years.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 9, 2022