Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
No Thud yet? Shame.

Click here for the full 800x528 image.

Sure, it was a maintenance nightmare, sucked down enough fuel to singlehandedly cause Peak Oil, had a turning radius measured in miles, and around half of them ended up scattered over North Vietnam.

It's amazing they only lost half the total production, because Thuds were used for Wild Weasel. Mission profile: fly ahead of the bombers, goad the SAMs into shooting at you, then either fire a radar-homing missile and hope it got there before they got a shot off, or intentionally let them shoot then dodge the SAM and dive-bomb the launcher, located by seeing the missile take off. That would've been simply insane rather than flat-out suicidal, if not for the MiGs and AA guns also out for their asses. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

silversiren posted:

This thing just seems like it would be extremely difficult to fly.
Surprisingly, no:

quote:

It would seem that the displacement of lift vs weight, and thrust vs drag, would have induced tendencies to yaw and roll requiring continual trimming to control, but the aircraft proved very stable and maneuverable. Indeed, Dr. Vogt had calculated that the greater weight on one side of the aircraft could be cancelled out by the torque of the propeller.

The odd balance actually counteracted the torque steer. :psyduck:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

azflyboy posted:

There are also several F-16's sitting out there that were supposed to be sold to Iran before the Shah was overthrown.

Apparently the aircraft are technically the property of the Iranian government and so can't be sold off or scrapped, but because of the arms embargo they can't be delivered, so they've been sitting in shrink-wrap for the last 30 years or so.
I guess we just had a glut of Vipers at the time and didn't need to steal them. I know the Navy got the last one or two F-14s built for the Iranian contract.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

orange lime posted:

I dunno what turret you're thinking of, but the Sperry turrets were electrically powered and had backup hand cranks as well.
There was still the chance of it getting jammed one way or another. The Sperry ball may have been statistically safe-ish, but apparently everybody thought it was a deathtrap (or maybe they just didn't like the feel of a Ma Deuce six inches from each ear). I remember seeing some History Channel show where they interviewed a ball-turret gunner who told a story of meeting an infantryman he outranked (gunner was a SGT, leg was a PFC, I think) in a bar and almost trading places. They got their shirts half-unbuttoned to swap before the infantryman asked what the airman did. When the flyboy admitted he was a ball-turret gunner, the soldier said "screw you, I'll take my chances in the foxholes," and walked away.

Also have some early Kevin Costner and Kiefer Sutherland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD7B0cfTXlc&feature=related

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
An alumnus of the local engineering school's aero program came back for a visit today in his work vehicle. He let the students and teachers climb all over it, but said the government would kill him if anybody sat in it.

Click here for the full 800x541 image.

Click here for the full 800x522 image.

Click here for the full 800x530 image.

Click here for the full 671x800 image.

The pilot:

Click here for the full 800x518 image.

Not Pooh, he just borrowed Pooh's plane. The squadron CO and XO get their names on jets 1 and 2, but who actually flies which bird is randomly assigned based on which ones are working that day -- the F/A-18C fleet is getting a bit long in the tooth, but the Navy is trying to keep them flying until they get the F-35 rather than buying more Super Hornets.

Your tax dollars dribbling out onto the apron:

Click here for the full 535x800 image.

He wasn't kidding about them getting old. I forget the ridiculous number of hours he said were on that particular airframe, but it's a lot more than McDonnell Douglas intended.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Godholio posted:

The original Hornet design competed (and lost) against the F-16 in the early 70s. The Super Hornet is a totally new design, with about as much in common with the old Hornet as the new Camaro has with the old. SHornets entered production in the mid-late 90s, they are new planes, and among the most advanced fighters in the world.
The specific Hornet I photographed was built in the mid-'80s, and, according to the pilot, is getting close to triple the flight hours M-D designed it for (it was meant to last 3 and has over 8, but I can't remember if that's thousands or ten-thousands).

As for why the Super Hornet looks like the old one, the Navy needed a new plane but Congress wouldn't pay for a new one, so they made it look kinda like the old one, removed any indication of scale from the pictures, and told Congress it was just a revision of the tried-and-true. That happens a lot, though the only others I can think of offhand are the F-86D and the new, wider-bodied CH-53 the Marines might be getting soon. I think there's also an all-new F-15 in the works, but it might actually be an upgraded Mudhen, rather than a full redesign like the Sabre Dog and Super Hornet.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 18, 2010

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Previa_fun posted:

Easiest way to identify whether a Hornet is an A/B or C/D model:

Easier way (on the right, under the tailfin):

:v:

orange lime posted:

but only when it doesn't have crap on its wings. Here's a CF-18 with even the wingtip rails photoshopped off:
The wingtip rails are useful, though.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

movax posted:

So, how about those wacky Canadians and their fake painted cockpits on the underside of the CF-18? I thought there was another air force that did the same, but I can't think of it at the moment (IAF?)
USAF does it on the Hog.

In other A-10 news, they added a backseat to one for night/adverse weather operation, but the Air Force didn't buy it. It was embarrassing enough having the one slow mover, couldn't bear the thought of having two types taking attention from the sexy F-15 and F-16. Looks kinda :downs:, but I've always liked it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

InterceptorV8 posted:

They built that plane with loving SLIDE RULERS, how many of you fuckers have ever handled one?
I own three, and I was born well after the advent of the electronic calculator. A 10" Pickett, a 6" pocket Sun Hemmi, and an E6B on the bezel of my Seiko.

I actually used the slide rule on my watch while taking pictures of the Hornet -- somebody asked how much gas it carried, pilot gave a figure in pounds (because that's what they use in the military), I did the math and told the kid what it was in gallons. :smug:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

VikingSkull posted:

Tomcats are amazingly gigantic.

You don't really get a sense of the size of a modern fighter until you see one parked near a B-17 (the Tomcat is exceptionally big).
Yeah, modern fighter jets make the WWII warbirds look dinky in comparison, and the F-14 and F-15 are pretty huge even among their contemporaries. (Edit: not really, it's just that at that time there were two schools of fighter design -- the big heavy air superiority fighters and the little dogfighters like the F-16 and F/A-18, and each class had a standard size).

The F-22 is a lot bigger than it looks too -- I always thought it was fairly small for a jet until just now. It's as big as the Eagle.

Fun fact: the A-10 and P-51 have about the same top speed.

And as you can see in this video, the WWII fighters were similarly bigger than their Great War ancestors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PnKUEFX8g

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 28, 2010

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

KlementGottwald posted:

The Soviets must not have been particularly pleased with the names NATO gave their aircraft
I think that may have been part of the name-selection criteria.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

"Bear"... make up for those.
That was probably just so the Tomcat (or equivalent at the time of naming) drivers could use the "loaded for bear" line.

Question: How do you start a rotary (Clerget, not Wankel) engine? I know you've got the mechanical-era equivalent of a squire out front cranking the thing over by hand, but what's the procedure inside the cockpit? As much detail as possible, please. I've been asked about this, and I'm not sure. I know the startup procedure for a WWII-era radial down to the number of blades you count going by in each step, but the Great War engines are beyond my knowledge (and probably far simpler).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 23, 2010

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ursa_minor posted:

I already posted this, but this is the best video I can find on rotary engines. It's not going to answer your question, but it has a lot of neat information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PnKUEFX8g

EDIT: about a minute in, the unbelievably interesting pilot starts talking about the engine itself.

There is definitely something interesting going on inside the cockpit, as the pilot is obviously paying quite a bit of attention to whatever gauges are in the cockpit, and making the 'squire' push the propeller forward and back.
Yeah, I've seen that, as well as the Gnome on a test stand video in the related links where the guy talks about the engine and explains the controls but doesn't start it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Wow, I never realized until that photo (and others from the same valley) how dirty/scratched airplanes get. Quite a few with panels replaced and not repainted to match, too, like a car with a junkyard fender after a minor wreck.
Mudhen missing a lot of paint: http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-F-15E-Strike/1678572/L/&sid=6c2f8c9c44c95c53d264dc0bec4139a8

Also F-15s are really disturbingly wrinkly in the right light.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15E/1606731/L/&sid=6c2f8c9c44c95c53d264dc0bec4139a8

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Alpine Mustache posted:

that looks like it may be water vapor that forms on the leading edges of wings sometimes.
Maybe. But that line of lumps along the back edge of the wings forward of the ailerons probably isn't. Another with wrinkles: http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15E/1607723/L/&sid=a238ba93a28b868fc97038f5bb06fc00

And this one, while not lumpy, is so :psyduck: I had to rehost it and post inline.

I know that one is about twice the size of the other, but seeing them together just breaks my brain. And the P-51 is actually smaller than it looks, what with the perspective and all.

P-51 max takeoff weight: 12,100 lb
F-15E external fuel/ordnance capacity: 24,250 lb
Progress!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Airplanes at the balloon race:

THEY'RE LEGALLY AIRCRAFT SHUT UP

The bee ballons are adorable -- they take off holding hands! :3:

:flame:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Quantrill posted:

Seeing balloons lit up at night is a sweet, sweet thing. Where was this?
Great Texas Balloon Race at East Texas Regional airport. It's usually earlier in the month, they rescheduled for some reason to the same date as one in Ohio so they had fewer balloons this year.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

routlej1 posted:

That's just awesome. I still can't get over how amazing Concorde was.

I was looking round the cockpit thinking, "complicated, but fairly typical for cockpits of the time I guess", then spotted the four big yellow buttons with the words "REHEAT" printed on them.

Aw yeah.

Is that a fold-down cupholder over the circuit breakers on the left (in front of the jump seat behind the pilot)? No, wait, I think it's an ashtray.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
gently caress your shoddy Aussie airliners, I went to an airshow today!

First, the actual AI stuff:
I forget the designation of this thing, but it's basically a J-20 frame with CJ-ish bodywork and wheelbase and some awesome little diesel.

Click here for the full 800x517 image.

Click here for the full 800x495 image.

A fully-kitted-out WWII MP and his motorcycle:

Click here for the full 800x625 image.

And the good ol' deuce-and-a-half:

Click here for the full 800x464 image.

Airplanes:
They had a DC-3/C-47:

Click here for the full 800x501 image.

Click here for the full 800x500 image.

Click here for the full 800x531 image.

A P-40:

Click here for the full 800x472 image.

Click here for the full 800x591 image.

Click here for the full 676x800 image.

Click here for the full 800x479 image.

Click here for the full 602x800 image.

Click here for the full 800x590 image.

Click here for the full 800x536 image.

The P-40 played a bit with a T-6:

Click here for the full 800x546 image.

Click here for the full 800x507 image.

Click here for the full 800x496 image.

Click here for the full 800x456 image.

Click here for the full 800x480 image.

There was also a Stearman:

Click here for the full 800x518 image.

Click here for the full 800x643 image.

And a thing I forget the name of:

Click here for the full 800x503 image.

And some static displays in the museum:

Click here for the full 800x476 image.

Click here for the full 800x517 image.

Click here for the full 800x395 image.

Click here for the full 800x516 image.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Have a huge version you're willing to give up?

Personal use only, no sales, please credit.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I don't know which thread this should go in, but I'll post it here because it's both airplane and car related: Some friends and I were discussing James Bond cars and the essential features thereof. An ejection seat is mandatory, of course. That got me thinking about Martin-Baker's Tie Club.

So I emailed Martin-Baker on the issue, and amazingly, they actually replied: If you were to use one of their seats to eject from a car, they'd give you a tie. ("driving off a cliff" and "armed villain passenger" were the exact car-ejection scenarios I asked about).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ApathyGifted posted:

Martin-Baker is now the coolest company ever.

Yeah. I replied to that asking if you'd get a tie for using an ejection seat turned into an office chair (with the rocket motor and canopy breakers still attached, and assuming you're on the top floor with a conveniently-placed skylight) to escape from a burning building. Will post the verdict when I get it. He should be in by now, it's past 10am there.

Edit: they also still own and use a pair of Gloster Meteors (half the still-flying Meteors in the world -- there's one other in the UK and one in Australia) for testing ejection seats. I am far too amused by the fact that neither has a canopy over the rear seat (I mean, it makes sense not bothering to replace it after every test, but still).

Click here for the full 800x508 image.

Click here for the full 800x532 image.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 26, 2010

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Delivery McGee posted:

I don't know which thread this should go in, but I'll post it here because it's both airplane and car related: Some friends and I were discussing James Bond cars and the essential features thereof. An ejection seat is mandatory, of course. That got me thinking about Martin-Baker's Tie Club.

So I emailed Martin-Baker on the issue, and amazingly, they actually replied: If you were to use one of their seats to eject from a car, they'd give you a tie. ("driving off a cliff" and "armed villain passenger" were the exact car-ejection scenarios I asked about).

Dissent! The email paraphrased above, from Andrew Martin, Head of Business Development, stated simply "Yes they would."

But a few days ago (I only just got around to checking that email account), Heather the Marketing Analyst emailed me thusly:

Heather from Martin-Baker posted:

Hello,
I am very sorry for the delay in responding to you.

In answer to your question, no. IF it was a Martin-Baker seat, the ‘driver’ would not be entitled to membership to the Tie Club. Membership of the Tie Club is confined solely to persons who have ejected from an aircraft (and not car) in an emergency using a Martin-Baker ejection seat, and thereby saved their life.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Heather

Her name at the end was in some cutesy script font intended to signify signing it, and followed by her full name, title, and company address.

So I replied, possibly a bit harshly:

quote:

But Andrew Martin replied the day after I asked saying the driver would qualify. I don't know who to believe! Well, actually, I'm going to go with his answer -- he got back to me sooner, he apparently outranks you, and he (halfway) shares a name with the company.

Whatever the answer, your company earns top honors in my book for even bothering to respond to my silly hypothetical.

What if the car had fold-out wings that while, undersized and useless-in-real-life as such things tend to be portrayed in movies, at least afforded the driver a fleeting Wile E. Coyote-style moment of hope after driving off the cliff?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I'm poking around on the F-15E site, and have come to the conclusion that the Mudhen* is pretty :black101:

The hottest poo poo in air superiority fighters, with an added crew member and extra fuel tanks, and bomb racks on the added gas tanks.

It also has its amusing bits -- the bomber version has dual controls, but the WSO's gun trigger does nothing, and the "pickle" button only drops bombs (as opposed to the pilot's gun and bombs/air-to-air missiles, respectively). You'd think the if the bombardier was flying the plane because the pilot was incapacitated, he'd need all the air-to-air possible, but no, he gets nothing. The only defensive option when flown from the backseat is to dump the bombs, firewall the throttles and leg it at "over Mach 2.5" (apparently top speed is classified but if they'll admit to Mach 2.5+ actual top speed is probably closer to Mach 3).

Of the F-15's 101 or so (some sources say 104) air-to-air victories, only one was by an F-15E -- during Desert Storm, a Mudhen was providing close air support for some Special Forces troops, and dropped a GBU-10 2,000lb bomb on a Hind unloading Iraqi soldiers. The helicopter took off, the F-15E pilot thought the bomb had missed and selected a Sidewinder missile to have another go at it, but the helicopter was vaporized before he could pull the trigger -- the bomb had hit its target, estimated by the SF guys on the ground to be at 800 feet altitude on impact. The fighter-bomber crew was about to engage the other enemy helicopters, but a flight heavy bombers rolled in, so they broke off to avoid sharing the Hind's fate. They weren't officially credited with the kill until 2001.

Edit: Also the fucker can fly on one wing like it ain't no thang. In 1983, an Israeli F-15E had a midair collision with an A-4 during a training mission. The Skyhawk exploded on impact; the F-15 went into a spin. The pilot went to full afterburner and straightened it out, took a look at the damaged wing but couldn't see anything because of the cloud of leaking fuel, so he decided to try to land. He came in at twice the normal landing speed, tore off the tailhook, and finally brought it to a safe stop. He turned around to shake his WSO's hand and saw that he was missing an entire loving wing. When McDonnell-Douglas engineers came out to look at it, they assumed the crash had occurred while taxiing, because seriously there's no loving way that thing will fly with an arm off ... but it did. Apparently their simulations failed to take into account the fact that it has a greater than 1 power:weight ratio and therefore doesn't really need wings at full throttle, plus the engine intakes and wide fuselage provide quite a bit of lift. The pilot later said that if he'd been able to see how bad it was he would've ejected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LveSc8Lp0ZE

Edit again: the one-winged one was a D-model two-seat trainer, not an E-model bomber, but it had two seats and the Israelis love their conformal fuel tanks, so it was a pretty much a Mudhen in all but ordnance. (Third edit: looking at the photos, it didn't have the CFTs mounted at the time.)

*The Strike Eagle's informal nickname is fairly amusing too. In addition to the low-and-slow aspect vs. the majestic soaring Eagle, it's a joke about the CFTs and consequent loiter time -- its feathery namesake "have considerable stamina once airborne."

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 18, 2011

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Found on fatpita of all places, rehosted on my personal site.

Helicopter picking up a boat. Must be a USMC bird. Marine pilots have a reputation for doing crazy poo poo like that. (Edit: I first thought it was a CH-53, but that round window and the angle of the fuselage over the ramp say Chinook.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 19, 2011

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Itzena posted:

This is a Dornier Do-17 fast bomber AKA "The Flying Pencil"
Dornier: Pretty loving awesome. Especially the Do. 24.

Sure the American PBY was a decent flying boat, but just look at this hard-rear end mofo. Take special note 18 seconds in when a wave crashes over the bow and all you can see is the wing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU8JMbe9ljU

One of the few aircraft to fly on both sides in WWII -- it was designed for the Dutch in the '30s, and sent some over to their part of the East Indies. When Germany invaded the Netherlands and Japan invaded the Indies, the Dutch gave them to the Aussies, and they flew search-and-rescue for the RAAF until the end of the war. Factories in Germany and occupied France kept building them until 1945. One made a forced landing in neutral Sweden and was impounded, bought off, and used until '52.

Unlike the Catalina, the Do. 24 had no wheels, so most of the Nazi-held airframes were sunk at their moorings during the war; the Aussie, Spanish and Swedish planes were flown until they fell apart -- well into the '70s, in the case of some Spanish ones. Currently there are four and a half remaining: three whole and one raised-from-the-seabed forward fuselage in museums, and one refitted with turboprops, a better wing, and landing gear by the grandson of the man who designed it. He flew it around the world to raise money for charity, and plans to put it in passenger service with his charter airline in the pacific islands.

Sunshine89 posted:

There also was no oil change interval- each engine needed an oil change after every flight, and missions were often cut short due to lack of engine oil.
Not so much oil change as oil refill; radials as a rule leak oil like a sieve and burn the rest. That's why you see so many WWII planes with black streaks down the sides/wings behind the engines. But you're right, drat near everything with a radial (except possibly the hotrod fighters) was range-limited by oil capacity rather than gas. So why bother with air-cooled, oil-hungry radials when you had things like the Merlin V12? One small-caliber bullet to the radiator could kill a water-cooled engine, while a Wright Cyclone or P&W Wasp would chug along just fine with entire cylinders shot off and connecting rods flapping in the breeze. And aside from the rough running, you couldn't tell -- the things didn't use all that much more oil with the crankcase open to the airstream than in normal operation.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Godholio posted:

I think it's more likely that NASA will either convert them to carry something else or mothball them (maybe at DM) until they have something worth carrying. I don't see these really getting scrapped, and I agree they'll never end up in a museum...they're just not interesting enough on their own for most people (even most aviation museum patrons). Maybe as a combined exhibit with an orbiter, but I doubt it.

They should at least pull the mounting brackets and send them to museums.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Colonel K posted:

I love STOL bush planes, I particularly like the little tricks some of them have, like a button to pneumatically retract the flaps to kill the lift so they can hit maximum braking.
I remember reading about some WWII German scout plane in the same size class that had so many wacky flap extensions and spoilers and smaller wings mounted on the leading edges and such that it could fly backward facing into a stiff breeze, but can't find it. Any ideas?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

LobsterboyX posted:

Thank god the internet didn't exist when the Granville brothers were flying their Gee Bees.
Yeah, balls-out race planes have a long and storied tradition of being suicide machines. Oddly enough, Jimmy Doolittle loved flying the Gee bee, said it was the "...sweetest ship I've ever flown. She is perfect in every respect..." Of course, Jimmy Doolittle is most famous for being a loving lunatic (let's fly medium bombers off aircraft carriers and bomb Tokyo! Let's carry extra bombs instead of gas!), so I guess it's not surprising.

It's bigger than you thought. Granville Bros. design philosophy: take an engine, strap on a cockpit and just enough wing to make it fly. It was a really big engine. And really small control surfaces. Despite that, the Gee Bee wasn't as murderous as it's hyped to be -- out of 11 Sportsters, there were only around five crashes, and only half of them fatal.

But when the Gee Bee decided it was time for you to die, you drat sure as hell died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTyYVnSyq4
Direct link to 1:51, when everything is about to go to poo poo
"This is fun! I think I'll just lazily turn in on final for landiOHGODTHEWINGFELLOFF"

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slo-Tek posted:

Anybody made a decent documentary on McDonnell?
Yes, actually, and I'm watching it right now :v: (picked it up at a dollar store or something a year ago and forgot about it). It was made by the company itself in celebration of their 25th birthday. It's a 30-minute look at their history up to the Mercury program. Despite the title, Douglas is not mentioned.

Thing I learned from it; at the christening ceremony for the Phantom II, the bottle would not break, despite having a metal plate with an edge sticking up strapped to the radome to smack the bottle on. The lady (SecNav's wife) took a couple whacks at it, then a couple with one of the guys assisting, and then the guys tried, and eventually they just popped the cork and poured the bubbly on the jet.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 25, 2011

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

your best use of resources for bomber-based nuclear deterrent aren't going to be ones that fly off of boats

An A-5 could carry a 2800-pound nuclear weapon, a B-52 can carry an A-5 at max takeoff weight and still have room for a couple of those 2800lb nukes.

(Vigilante payload: 1x2800lb Mk27, MTOW: 62953lb; BUFF payload: 70000lb of anything you want, MTOW: near enough to half a million pounds)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 7, 2011

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

BSAKat posted:

Some kind of trainer I reckon?

Yep. T-33 Shooting Star.

quote:

What is that in the foreground? It's got what looks like a super sweet MLOP slung underneath, so some kind attack craft?
It's an F-86D (which is about as similar to the original Sabre as a Super Hornet is to an F/A-18C). The big black nose is a radome, and the tray of rockets is, well, a tray of rockets. It's an interceptor for shooting down bombers -- the rockets filled the gap when things got too fast for guns but guided missiles hadn't been developed yet.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 15, 2011

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Phanatic posted:

Hey, I was on that first one.

A couple of my colleagues got similar pics on the Collings Foundation's B-17 and B-24, I had to drive the car back. Here are my ground-based photos (which I'm pretty sure I posted back at the beginning of this thread but gently caress it, see them again):

I was the only one of the three of us that knew how to use a Ma Deuce:

Self-portrait in the ball turret window:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cygni posted:

YOU GO TO HELL!
And if the wheels get shot off and the turret sticks, you're pretty much hosed. It rarely, if ever, actually happened, but like a lot of rare things it's the one people fixated on because it's so terrible. You'd be far more likely to die from a flak shell to the face, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD7B0cfTXlc
Amazing Stories episode about the unthinkable happening to a ball turret gunner. Linked because it's a multi-parter.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

grover posted:

There's at least one incident of it happening for real

Yeah, in the linked Modern Marvels the late Andy Rooney claimed to have personally seen it happen, but it wasn't nearly as often as people think.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ola posted:

In other news, the Dragon Lady might see 100 years of service.

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/Pages/HomePage.aspx

From the Wright Brothers' first flight until the U-2's: 52 years.
From the U-2's first flight until today: 57 years.
Similarly, I'm half surprised they didn't add another fifteen years or so to the Stratofortress's expected life, just to make it an even century (current plans are to keep the B-52H into the 2040s. At that time, the newest airframes will be 80 years old -- the last one built turns 50 this year). Of course, given that it's stayed around despite three overbudget under-expectations replacements, and given the difficulty of getting any new military plane these days, it's not all that unlikely that the BUFF will see a century of service.

Myspace angle

Showing off to the Navy

"Hey guys, what's going on up front?"

With another member of the old-rear end dumptruck 50 years of service club

Edit: I'm sure several children (and possibly grandchildren, by now) of B-52 crewmen have gone on to fly the BUFF themselves ("It's not your father's Air Force, but it may be your father's airplane") but has anybody been issued the same airframe their dad had?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 17, 2012

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Wind-tunnel testing a Corsair:

It looks pretty cool with the round nosecone. makes me wish for a jet version.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Things I've learned in the past few months: WW1 fighters were friggin' small. (I love the dazzle camo on the Fokker D.VII.)
Yeah, even the bigass WWII fighters were tiny by jet standards. I've seen pictures of heritage flights with P-51 and F-15 and the Mustang is tiny (the Eagle/Mudhen is almost as long as a B-17 and can lift many times the ordnance). I don't think I've seen a Great War fighter next to a modern jet because the top speed of a Sopwith is well under stall speed of a jet. Hell, they had that problem getting a picture of a Camel with a Spitfire.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Was the Hood a battle cruiser?

Very much so. In fact, the last of the breed. Apparently some historians call Hood the first fast battleship, but they're clearly wrong. Real fast battleships (i.e. Iowa class) can shrug off any hit up to and including Armageddon, but Hood pretty much evaporated from one 15" shell hit.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

From an old Timken bearings ad.

Edit: Russian giant-seaplane makers Beriev are currently working on this monster:

400 feet long, 500-foot wingspan, max takeoff weight 2500 tons (not a typo, two and a half million kg).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

OptimusMatrix posted:

Crazy to think that the Nazi's have been on U.S. soil before.
Perhaps better stated as "crazy to think the Nazis were welcome in the US once."

The Nazis landed a group of saboteurs in Florida in 1942; from there they took trains to New York City and Chicago, and decided the mission was impractical and it was better here and gave themselves up. It didn't go as well as they'd hoped.

Space Gopher posted:

It was a night fighter. There was only one pilot; the other guy was a radar operator.
Did it have controls in both cockpits (like, say, the modern Mudhen) or was the RIO hosed if something happened to the pilot (as I assume is the case in two-place Navy jets)?

That's fairly amusing, the F-15E -- it has a stick and throttle in the back seat in case something happens to the pilot and the bombardier has to fly home, but for some reason only the guy in front can pull the trigger on air-to-air missiles or guns -- the WSO's pickle switch only drops bombs and only when the pilot lets him, and the trigger on the backseat stick does nothing, whereas the pilot can use all weapons. I mean, it makes sense on the one hand -- the guy in back is the bombardier and shouldn't need missiles, and can't really see to aim the gun -- but on the other hand, if the pilot gets fragged and the WSO and airplane are still alive, the missiles might be useful. I guess in that case the WSO is expected to push his throttle all the way forward and call in the guys in the single-seat version.

Speaking of firewalling the throttles, what do they mean by "Mach 2.5+"? How much "+"? Seems like the F-15 is old enough by now that it would've leaked or been made public.