Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I may be repeating myself, but designing aircraft to work from fairly primative conditions is severely underrated. Sourcing off the shelf parts ain't bad, either.

(Er, sorry, mr.chips...)

A B-52 with 2 GE 90s mounted overtop the wing behind the cockpit, like on an An-72. It might generate extra lift, too, thanks to the Coandă effect(?).

Emergency ejection systems might need a do-over though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

When you can't stand the :smug: look on the face of the guy with the R/C SR-71 anymore.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boomerjinks posted:

I hate to burst your bubble, but I prefer my r/c B-29s with launchable X-1s.

OK, that beats mine. Yours has retractable landing gear, too.

Going by youtube, lots and lots of people are trying to claim the crown of "world's largest RC plane."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Man the Peacemaker is loving ugly, no wonder the B-47 kicked its rear end.

Sometimes, I look at the B-36 and think it was an enormous waste, in a military sense. The work on the B-52 started in 1945, and surely the Korean war proved that prop planes could no longer be on the frontline. Yet, even knowing that it was doomed to be obsolete shortly, they spent a king's ransom building and maintaining a fleet of them.

It's an awesome machine, though, don't get me wrong :I

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Slo-Tek posted:

Of course, no matter how good the F-22 is or isn't, there are only 120 of them, so being second best with the numbers to be everywhere f-22's aren't is way better than being 'best'.

There's something to be said for affordable unit cost.

Speaking of which, a bipartisan committee released a report a few weeks ago, on cutting the military budget. It bears mentioning in this thread as two of their suggestions are 1)ending the Osprey program, 2) ending/limiting the buys from the F-35 program, and building advanced versions of existing fighter types instead :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/dae/articles/communiques/FighterCostFinalJuly06.pdf

Not to get all D&D on the Sustainable Defense Task Force report, but it was "bipartisan" as it was sponsored by Ron Paul and Barney Frank, both of whom want to make HUGE defense spending cuts, cuts most of the rest of congress are rational enough to know are asinine. So it's no wonder they're recommending deep cuts.

Yeah, I posted it just because I found it interesting that congressional types took to the same ideas the thread did. I think you are overreacting a bit to report's findings, though. I know your feelings about the F-35, but it's not like one of the bullet points was "ELIMINATE THE NAVY." They want to cut a trillion dollars out of the defense budget not because they hate freedom but because the USA's largest expenditure is defense, and you guys spend 50% more on defense now then in 1986. And that's a date after Regan's big military spending increase, and the opponent was the USSR and the Warsaw pact. So if you are interested in reducing government spending in any way, the logical place to start is defense.

Are there any spending cuts in defense you would be for?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sterndotstern posted:

On a completely different topic, a while ago I posted that air-burning, air-flying technology reached its logical conclusion in approximately 1965 and stated (somewhat controversially) that we're "done" with aircraft. I never got to ask the obvious follow-up question: Where is the next great unsolved problem for aerospace engineering?

Late to th' party but I'd say making LTA craft reliable and durable. I think the technology is already there; it just needs to be applied.

Of course it's no secret that I'm a airship fanboy so

fake edit: How about aircraft carrier submarines?

real edit: images

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 2, 2010

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LOO posted:

That's some beautiful camo. Is it real? If so, what's it for?

Sterndotstern posted:

I'll see your B-36 and raise you a B-36 with a B-58 back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxrwpur_Op8&feature=related

:aaa:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

The Aggressors (they pretend to be the bad guys in exercises) up in Alaska. The Aggressors at Nellis use similar paint schemes, but different colors. I'll try to dig up some pics.

Sweet. I know there are probably good reasons for it, but the regular grey camo scheme is so boring. But awesome black and white contrast schemes on the other hand...

LOO posted:

ME-163 (replica?)

'Tis a replica, for among other reasons, it has landing gear. Original ME-163s were mounted on little wheeled sleds for takeoff.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Parabellum posted:

Starcraft be damned, only space-apache pilots get to say that :c00l:

Well, Aliens is weirdly one of the most influential movies in video game history...

OK, a nerdpost:

I've been building a model of a Mi-24, and I'm surprised how small the troop compartment is. Wikipedia says that it can carry up to 8 troops, but that must be using the same figuring method tent builders use for maxim occupancy, because the thing is apparently the size of a small shed, except with less headroom.

e: pics

The pilot's head is hitting the ceiling with his helmet on.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 14, 2010

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ssh posted:

Wait until the sunovabitch finds out his hands are just painted onto his legs.

The gunner has worse problems, I accidentally sanded off his nose

Good lord. I could lie down on the deck with my head touching one door and my legs up to my knees would still be dangling out the other.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

azflyboy posted:

That said, the Chinese students that train in the US have it far worse. Their training is paid for by an airline, but in return, the student essentially becomes an indentured servant for that company. When they sign the contract, those students are required to work for the airline for 20-30 years after finishing training (I've also heard of 99 year contracts as well), and they're automatically required to pay around $300,000 if they try and leave early.

Rational actors in a free market!

Christ, that's terrible.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BonzoESC posted:

It really is ghastly and disproportionate: too short/fat and it kind of looks like an A318 with smaller windows and a stupider forehead.

Around Christmas AI had a thread about the new dreamliner, and of course talk turned to planes in general. The A380 came up, and the theory was floated that the only reason the cockpit isn't in the 747 position is because that would be an admission that the Americans did something right aesthetically, something that is anathema to any red-blooded European. Somebody did an image of the A380 with the cockpit on the upper level, which looked approximately a million times better. I'd post it but I can't find it right now :argh:

Anyway, I suspect that if you pushed Airbus enough they would give some sort of dry technical reason for the big forehead look, but I don't buy it. There's a cargo version of the A380 coming out, and one of the reasons the 747 had an upstairs cockpit is because it allows the nose to open in cargo versions to make unloading easier. Having the A380 cockpit where it is seems a major disadvantage for the cargo version.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Skyssx posted:

Seeing as you can't just hover a Harrier or the engine will melt down, yeah. That movie was so horrible I had blocked it from memory. Thanks.

I distinctly remember harriers doing all sorts of hovering in True Lies.

:colbert:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

dur posted:

There it is, thanks.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gorilla Salad posted:

I always wanted an aeroplane that I could paint like that, but wrong.

Have the landing gear sign point to the door, the left wing sign point to the right wing, that kind of thing.

Just to piss off the accident investigators if I ever did have a crash.

Build a model. With enough skill you could do whatever you wanted.

(I was 'spergin' out earlier on in the thread about Russian cargo aircraft because I was in the middle of building a An-124 model and was doing lots of reading about Antonovs and the like.)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

orange lime posted:

Speaking of building models, I really want to try building a radio-controlled version of some of those crazy turn-of-the-century flying machine designs, just to see what they could have done with a modern engine and a good power:weight ratio. How awesome would it be to see these things flying around?

The first one in particular -- that poo poo's awesome.

That's an awesome idea and I'd like to see it too, though I suspect that most of the machines are either way too fragile or heavy to fly. The Wright Brothers did a lot of research to build the Wright flyer. For example, they discovered errors in the formula for lift that had been accepted for 50 years. I think they also had to do some pretty serious math to develop proper air propellers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Heid the Ball posted:

Well, a grand day out at RAF Leuchars. Great weather, great displays.

I've loaded the best photos of the day on Flickr here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11790682@N02/

Does the Luftwaffe still fly Phantoms?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

N183CS posted:

A couple of weeks ago I flew 550 miles north of the Arctic coast of Alaska to check out a US and Canadian Ice Breaker. Someone on the US ship took these amazing shots of us flying around. It was a rare and awesome opportunity, especially since I was sitting on the open cargo ramp....with a three star admiral.... who is second in charge of the US Coast Guard.
:canada::respek::911:

:canada: again

On the Basis of this video I think a few coast guard pilots have balls of steel similar to SR-71 drivers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

but it's hard to say their engines are better because they're more willing to eat small pebbles.

That's exactly why the Jeep 4L is a better engine :colbert:

Ola posted:

It's a different doctrine, not just different maintenance schedules. Russians have conscripts doing aircraft maintenance, so they don't do troubleshooting or repairs on the field. The engines run virtually without maintenance for (say) 300 hours, then they simply pull the engines and send them into a central site.

This classic example of commernist centralization probably works best in a world where cruise missiles / stealth bombers don't exist and your central maintenance site won't get blown up on day 1 of the war.

Y'know, it's weird, but this example of commernist thinking seems to me what Wal-Mart would do if it operated an air force.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Actually, I think a competition would have been good, but really, we've been openly planning to buy them for years I don't see why it's a shock.

Politically, at least, picking up this issue was a smart move. The Cons saying "don't worry guys, these planes are the best" and then refusing to have any sort of competition or debate to verify that just makes them look like assholes. I expect this issue was also picked with an eye toward financial conservative types that cross party lines. After all, if the government is going to spend this amount of money, you'd think there would be at least a competitive bidding process. Anyway, I hope the competition happens, because I think the F35 is going to be a nightmare to keep flying, if it is not actually just a bad fighter.

slidebite posted:

Personally, we should say gently caress 'em all and sign up for Sukhoi PAK FAs just to piss off everyone. :q:

I'm down with this.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The ask the Pilot guy at Salon has a pretty good write-up of everything that went wrong with the Quantas A380:

quote:

The following rundown is drawn from second- or third-hand accounts, but I take it to be reliable. This, in a nutshell, is what the crew of Flight QF32 was dealing with.

* Complete, uncontained failure of No. 2 engine. As I noted in my original story, a four-engine jet can operate safely with the loss of one, and, in most cases, even two engines. Still, an engine failure is never taken lightly, especially one that has sprayed the airframe with red-hot pieces of metal.

* Shrapnel hole on one of the left wing-flap fairings (those long, canoe-shaped structures that jut from the bottom of the wing). This hole was described by once source as "big enough to fit your upper body through."

* Large shrapnel puncture clear through the forward section of the left wing. (Debris entered the bottom of the wing and exited, several feet later, out the top.)

* Assorted electrical problems. Electrical bus No. 2, normally powered via the No. 2 engine, will automatically switch to bus No. 1 in the event of failure. (Such auto-transfer capabilities are standard in commercial aircraft to keep important systems running if their normal power source is lost.) For reasons still unknown, this transfer didn't happen. Electrical buses 3 and 4, meanwhile, will supposedly power bus 2 in the event of an auto-transfer failure, but this didn't happen either. End result: Various components/systems/instruments were inoperative when they shouldn't have been.

* Total loss of all fluid in one of the plane's two main hydraulic systems. This required, among many other complications, a manual extension of landing gear.

* Substantial leaks in two of the plane's left wing fuel tanks. Literally thousands of gallons were pouring out.

* Electronic and/or mechanical failure of important fuel transfer functions. This prevented the crew from addressing a major fuel imbalance -- and subsequent flight stability issues -- brought on by the leaks.

Additionally, a substantial amount of fuel became trapped in the aft, so-called trim tank, leading to a serious center-of-gravity issue during descent and landing. The crew received repeated caution messages about this impending out-of-balance condition, but was unable to address it.

* Malfunction of the fuel jettison system. This hindered the ability to reduce weight for the emergency landing. Overweight landings entail higher landing speeds and a longer rollout distance (and though it's unlikely, there can be structural ramifications). Very overweight landings entail very high landing speeds and very long rollout distances.

* Partial failure of leading edge slats. These are the panels that slide forward from the leading edge of the wing. Similar to flaps, they increase lift and allow for slower takeoff and landing speeds. The lack of slats increased the plane's landing speed even further, perhaps beyond the rated groundspeed limits of its tires.

(Planes slow down in stages, deploying flaps, slats and gear at particular target speeds. These speeds are usually obtained from the flight management system, but reportedly there weren't enough data fields on the input screen to account for all the necessary corrections. The crew did the best it could, entering what it thought were the most critical corrections to come up with reasonable numbers.)

* Partial failure of speed brakes and ground spoilers. These are panels that lift from the wings to aid in deceleration, both aloft and on the ground. Not only was the landing roll going to be unusually long due to the aforementioned high approach speeds, but the ability to decelerate would also be hampered.

* Loss of brake anti-skid system. Ditto.

* Inability to shut down the adjacent, No. 1 engine using normal or emergency ("fire switch") methods. This was not discovered until after landing, but it meant there had been no fire protection available for the No. 1 engine after the uncontained failure of the one directly next to it. Had there been shrapnel damage to this engine as well, causing a fire, there would have been no way to shut it down.

* Plus a host of other, smaller problems and failures.

I have been told that the crew chose to commence its approach not because the problems were sorted out, but because of worries over fuel balance and center-of-gravity.

Also in other airplaney news:

quote:

F-35 saga continues

The short takeoff, vertical landing (STOVL) variant of the F-35 Lightning II has encountered the latest in a long line of serious development problems, and some government officials are suggesting the model be scrapped.

Last week, Lockheed Martin announced that fatigue cracks had been discovered in the aft bulkhead of an F-35B variant during ground testing.

The cracks were found after 1,500 hours of fatigue testing and could indicate a serious design flaw in one of the aircraft's biggest and most crucial components. The airframe should have held up to more than 16,000 hours of the tests, officials said.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

The F-35B is, of the 3 variants, the one where there is really NO alternative at all but to fix it. In the whole scheme of things, reinforcing parts of the structure doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. There are always engineering changes/updates in projects this big.

I think this may be part of the problem, strangely. I'm not sure when we started saying "we're going to replace our Xs with Ys, which is filled with all sorts of new technology we're in the middle of developing but we're still going to start using them four years hence", but it seems to me this causes problems.* It makes the developers focus on meeting an arbitrary deadline instead of getting all the bugs worked out. In the Osprey, for example, if they had just kept working on it, and had the marines just buy regular helicopter replacements in the near term, the Osprey would have had far fewer problems. It's the same process that creates bad software and video games.

Also weird fact about the Harrier: it is the most deadly aircraft in the Western arsenal, having killed quite a few of it's own pilots over the years. Of course, the thing is basically just a giant turbofan with some wings and mounting points attached.

*This is of course presuming defence contractors are not purposely proposing things that are insanely complex and over ambitious to begin with to keep the thing perpetually in development

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BonzoESC posted:

If you think the B is expensive, wait until you see what a new VTOL airframe with different avionics, engines, controls, &c. from any other airplane costs.

This is the argument. It really boils down to if you think the F-35B will be worthwhile or not. I see the thing like the space shuttle: too complex, built for too many jobs, and going to be stupidly expensive to maintain. Build a new VTOL airplane with modern, proven technology, and even if it costs a lot up front, having a reliable, easy to maintain plane will be worth it in the long run, both financially and militarily.

It also confuses me why the Brits want carriers that don't have catapults on them. Carriers are expensive; you might as well go the whole hog.

Nerobro posted:

Taking great care as to what information reaches your pilot matters. I think not nearly enough thought has been put into this. I think this is something that would easily be solved by a very small group of people, instead of the very large committee style planning that goes on now.

This. This is one of the reasons the A10 turned out so well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's also worth saying that the effectiveness of a given aircraft (like the MiG-29) relies much more on the quality of the pilot then of the plane. If you look at all the conflicts that the MiG-29 fought in against western planes, the pilots were all second or third rate. The same is true of tanks. The Israelis during their wars with the arab world were up against an enemy that consistently had better tanks then they did, yet managed to defeat the Arabs time after time. Hell, the Israelis used friggin' Shermans (admitted modified and massively up gunned) well into the 70s.

It's strange to think, but in the end the USA air force superiority is not maintained by technology, but by superior training, especially by having lots of real life seat time. If you've been following the Korean scuffle on the news, you've might have read about North Korea's air force, which on paper seems kinda formidable. What they don't tell you is that nearly all North Korean planes have been grounded for lack of fuel, and most pilots are lucky to fly once a year. In a real battle, it would be decimated by western forces who are well trained and get plenty of flight time, even ignoring the technology advantage that the west has.

Rot posted:

Oh hey, it's a build report!

http://www.our7a.com/20070708.html

This is amazing, it has everything and would be a classic for a human factors course. Some of the work isn't bad. Some is like "oh, I wouldn't do that" and other stuff is "HOLY poo poo!!"

You can see the point where he gets frustrated with the project and his work gets sloppier and sloppier as he gets more impatient.

For me, anyway, you may need to underline the mistakes. I don't know enough to really get a kick out of it so far.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ehnus posted:

Looks like the Lockheed D-21/M-21 drone.

So are they keeping around those things just because, or does this mean they need the parts?

Of course, if they do need the parts, I'm actually more curious as to what they need all the old Neptune parts for.

LOO posted:

C-17's getting some heavy maintenance at the Long Beach Airport.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....00071&t=h&z=21

Are they actually replacing bits of the fuselage? :psyduck: Seriously, what's the white area?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Slo-Tek posted:

A Monogram model of the conjectural F-19 stealth fighter. It was way cooler than the Testors version.

Haha, that's great. Somebody photoshop some old disused UFOs in there.

Also, that Chinese stealth fighter (the J-20 "Black Eagle") made its first flight today.

e: also saw this in the boneyard. What is it?

For once I know what it is. It's a Boeing YC-14.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 12, 2011

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nerobro posted:

They're not dumb, and they've done it before.

They have, though it seems like China usually sources the engines from Russia.

As for getting all the subsystems working, do you suppose the Chinese saw the F-22/F-35 programs and decided to keep avionics and other subsystems fairly conventional?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boomerjinks posted:

haha whatever, man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV35B-vfT4U

A computer sim of an A10 that needs computer hardware much more advanced then the actual A10

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I played a metric ton of F117A back in the day, which was not especially realistic but was fun as hell.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Post WW2 prop fighters are hawt as hell.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Manny posted:

I wasn't sure if to post this in the RC cars thread or this one, but I've become really interested in 'multicopters'.

You might be interested in this: a R/C company in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan has begun manufacturing remote control surveillance drones for the RCMP:

http://gizmodo.com/5167853/the-draganflyer-x6-uav-police-edition

Costs around 15K. Also, please let us know if you make a thread about this stuff.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

benito posted:

Oh wow, this is the perfect post. Those Embraers are awesome, seemingly designed with human beings in mind. I had to be on a CRJ almost twice a week for two years, and grew to deeply despise that airplane. It reminded me of that thing how some public places install chairs that are seriously uncomfortable/anti-ergonomic so people don't hang around forever. Anything more than an hour on the CRJ and you arrive at your destination angry and miserable. Spend an extra hour sitting on the tarmac and you just know that the the actual flight is going to be pure torture.

I think the CRJs are about the smallest engineered space you'd ask normal people to get into. It's like the engineers were looking really hard at the space efficiency found in U-boats.

Minto Took posted:

Further proof of that was the A-16 program where they tried to strap an Avenger on to an F-16. It was stupid inaccurate which is why the Air Force dropped it.

That honestly sounds like the product of a drunken argument.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boomerjinks posted:

Okay, last post of the night. Er, day. gently caress.

I think I love it. More here http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?cnsearch=1512/F016&distinct_entry=true

Digital camo is so cool. It redeems 30 + years of grey-on-grey boredom. Imagedump of the Tu-22 Blinder, mostly. The Tu-22 was the Soviet's first supersonic bomber, and like the F-14, even though it is obsolete, it appears to my eyes to be highly futuristic.

Confusingly the Backfire is the Tu-22M.

From the JDF airbase at Sendai:

Floatplanes are the best because they land in pretty places:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Airbus vs. Boeing looks the same, on airliners.net or the court of the WTO:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12925024

I love how both sides see this as a victory for their side.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So that 737 that ruptured during flight was kinda alarming, though once again I can't help but be impressed with modern airliner engineering. The hull ruptured, and only a stewardess was slightly hurt.

Also in a development I find exciting believe it or not, they've found the wreck of that Air France Airbus that crashed in 2009. Hopefully they can figure out what caused the crash. I've been fascinated with that crash, simply because I love the process of little bits of evidence being pieced together to answer the question of what the hell happened.

Cause of both incidents:Cellphones

An ugly but handy seagull, the Beriev Be-12:

A400M:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

azflyboy posted:

With the pitot probes disabled, the flight crew had no clear indication of their airspeed, and the fly-by-wire system (and autopilot) would have shut off the built in protections as a result of the data loss. After the pitot probes failed, the aircraft would have thrown a massive number of warning messages at the crew, which would have made hand-flying the aircraft even more difficult than it already was.

OK, I knew about the pitot tubes Icing over. Maybe this shows my lack of understanding about this sort of thing, but I don't understand how that by itself could have been fatal. Specifically I don't understand why the computer would "shut off all built in protections as a result of data loss." I assumed that the crash was caused by pitot tubes icing + another unspecified problem, possibly to do with the storm. I remember reading those automated service messages that the plane broadcasted, and just to my Layman's ears, it sounded like there had been some sort of major electrical failure.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Advent Horizon posted:

Imagine driving a car in the dark without a speedometer and the headlights are out. You don't know how fast you're going, and in fact (because it's an old Cadillac or some other equally numb land yacht) you can't feel that you're actually moving at all. Your two choices are assume you're going too slow and speed up, or assume you're going too fast and slow down. Also assume that if you go more than a few mph faster than you're supposed to the steering wheel will suddenly fall off the car. What would you do?

If you answered 'slow down and try to get my bearings', you just made the same choice the computer did. Congratulations, you crashed an Airbus.

azflyboy posted:

Airbus' fly-by-wire system requires information from the pitot-static system (among other things) to decide exactly what it will and won't allow the pilot to do in a given situation. If the system loses a critical input, it's designed to disable some of those limitations, since it can't determine enough about what the airplane is doing to decide whether the control inputs should be allowed or not.

Thanks, guys, that clears up a lot for me. You'd think (possibly with the genius of hindsight) that if something major like pitot tubes failing (or the autopilot making major changes on the basis of instrument failure) there would be a large red warning light much larger and more distinct from lesser caution and warnings. It sounds like a part of the problem was simply the torrent of error messages made it hard to understand WTF was going on, somewhat similar to that engine failure on the A380 a little while ago. I thought there might have been some sort of computer failure, but it sounds like major problems on a Airbus actually produces an effect similar to a computer failure.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Delivery McGee posted:

Not so much oil change as oil refill; radials as a rule leak oil like a sieve and burn the rest. That's why you see so many WWII planes with black streaks down the sides/wings behind the engines. But you're right, drat near everything with a radial (except possibly the hotrod fighters) was range-limited by oil capacity rather than gas. So why bother with air-cooled, oil-hungry radials when you had things like the Merlin V12? One small-caliber bullet to the radiator could kill a water-cooled engine, while a Wright Cyclone or P&W Wasp would chug along just fine with entire cylinders shot off and connecting rods flapping in the breeze. And aside from the rough running, you couldn't tell -- the things didn't use all that much more oil with the crankcase open to the airstream than in normal operation.

Good god, that's amazing. I knew about the advantages of Air cooled vs. liquid cooled, but the damage resistance is just mindblowing. Did radial engines also start easier? I've been doing a little reading on something of tangential interest to this thread, and one of the things I've read about is pre-warming oil systems for liquid cooled engines.

The Japanese, after Guadalcanal, set plans in motion to build the world's first strategic submarine. It was that clever bastard Admiral Yamamoto who thought them up; he knew that the odds were long that Japan could win the war to keep its empire, so he dreamed up aircraft-carrying submarines as a way to strike at America itself. The hope was that air raids would sow fear and panic among the general population, and put political pressure on the Americans to make peace. The I-400 series of subs was the result.

Aircraft carrying submarines were not new; several subs had been built that had aircraft launching capabilities. The difference here is that 1) the aircraft were to be used for attack instead of scouting, and 2) because the number of aircraft were so few, and the carrier subs could traverse the globe without refuelling, the targets they would strike would be strategic, instead of tactical. Up until then, nobody thought of using subs this way, and the Japanese not only managed to design these monster subs, but build them in total secrecy. The USA learned of all then when two subs the size of destroyers surrendered to them.

Each I-400 sub could carry three aircraft specially designed for them. Space was tight, as the aircraft hanger had to be able to withstand submarine diving depths. The diameter of the cylindrical hanger was 12 ft, which was dictated by the diameter of the plane's propellers. The wings of the Aichi M6A Seiran folded back hydraulically, and the tail similarly folded itself for storage. Once wings and tail were deployed, the Seiran had pontoons attached, and then was launched off the goddamn hydraulic catapult the I-400s sported. To get all three aircraft in the sky took about 45 minutes, though the time was far shorter on suicide missions, as they just left the pontoons off.

Oh, and since it was mid-1944 before these things got launched, the Japanese borrowed from their best buds the Germans all of their new sub technology. The I400s had snorkels, antichormatic coatings to hide noise from hydrophones, and some technology borrowed from the Graf Zeppelin. (Uh, that's an aircraft carrier, not an airship.) The I-400s had oil warmers to pre-warm the oil in the aircraft engines, so the aircraft didn't have to waste time warming up.

Speaking of going Kamikaze, by the time two subs were launched and ready for use, that was pretty much the only kind of mission the Japanese Navy flew. Since it was obvious that there would only be a few of these things around to help in the war effort, it was decided to change the target of the subs to the Panama canal. They also toyed with the idea bombing American cities with plague carrying rats and fleas, but surprisingly they decided against this, as they feared it would be the first shot "in a war against all humanity." The Japs had good intel on the target area, and had even figured out the best place to strike: on the Gatun locks on the east side of the canal. Apparently striking there would cause Lake Gatun to drain, and it'd be 6 months to a year before the allies could repair the damage. The I-400 and the I-401 trained for this mission, and were ready to go in July 1945.

This Tamiya model has a transparent bit which allows a good view into the aircraft hanger.

It's here Hollywood would start making stuff up, as the story has a anti-climactic ending. As you might of guessed by the sail date, blowing up the Panama canal was judged by the Japanese as not a very important goal anymore. The I-400 and the I-401 were diverted to attack a atoll which was a staging point for the vast American fleet. The plan was now to launch a Kamikaze attack on the American carrier there, and as a bonus the planes were painted like American aircraft, a violation of the laws of war that even the Nazis didn't stoop to. Fortunately, peace was declared, and the subs surrendered.

As in the end of the European war, the victors were very interested in studying former Axis technology. The Japanese subs were superior to American ones, especially in torpedo technology, and the I-400s were viewed as an unexpected bonus. Unfortunately, the Soviets also wanted to study the subs, especially the I-400s. So the Navy, after studying the strategic submarines thoroughly, scuttled them in deep water off of Hawaii to keep them from the prying eyes of the Soviets.

One of the subs's aircraft still exists, in the National air and space museum. So if you find yourself there and see a sleek pontoon plane, know that it's the end of a rather amazing story.

PS> To see this post in the form of a hour long PBS Documentary, please click here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gorilla Salad posted:

Airliners.net always has the best pictures.

Just the right amount of grime:

Model makers spend a disturbing amount of time trying to get things like grime right.