Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

InitialDave posted:

No reason why it wouldn't be doable - stopping using the planes was a choice, not a requirement or something that was forced upon those involved.
Of course its possible or do-able, but as with most other major resto projects the wildcard is money. I sure hope they can pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sterndotstern posted:

Everything at once, plus a Space Shuttle on the top
The Nasa B52 was never modified to carry the shuttle AFAIK, that always fell the 747 duty, although it'd be as :black101: as all hell if it did.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Revolvyerom posted:

Are you sure he meant it literally that it could carry every payload configuration possible at once and the space shuttle?

Heh, no I'm not sure. I just assumed he meant it literally. On re-reading it, probably not. :shobon:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Amazon delivers goodies

:neckbeard:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ratchild13 posted:

got to see the F-16 lawn dart up and down all weekend.
I always thought a lawn dart was slang for crashing?

herman391 posted:

Can you give a review of the Blackbird book please? Been looking into getting one but there seems to be a ton out there.

Will try to, but to be honest it'll probably be some time before I into really reading it. I have leafed through it and it seems quite up to date. I can say though that the Haynes Apollo book isn't quite what I thought it would be but well written nevertheless.

I am quite happy with the Valkyrie book. Very thorough and informative, even though I am only 2 chapters in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That is awesome

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Why have they got missiles loaded for flyovers in Melbourne?

quote:

And 2 more FA18's doing a patrol over the sports precinct during the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
Just in case I guess?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Heid the Ball posted:

RAF Leuchars "Battle of Britain at Home Day" Air Show is tomorrow.

Will try to get some pics up, pray that the weather holds.

Here's the display list:

That sounds like a great lineup but it's unfortunate they don't seem to have any :hitler: planes

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Simkin posted:

:psylon:

The Vulcan is great. I also didn't know the British were so cold blooded:

Wiki posted:

Only the pilot and co-pilot were provided with ejection seats; that the rear crew were not provided ejection seats led to considerable criticism.[17] There were several instances of the pilot and co-pilot ejecting in an emergency and the rear crew being killed because there was not time for them to bail out

Also, went to the Canadian Bomber Command museum in Nanton, Alberta earlier this week. Surprisingly good for a little museum in the middle of nowhere. Plan on posting pics later.

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/

Their main attraction is a Lancaster that, while not flight worthy, does have healthy and live Merlins in it that they fire up on a regular basis.

Also, the museum commissioned this artwork for the 65th anniversary of a fellow being awarded the Victoria cross. When I first saw it in person hanging in the museum, I thought it was a photo. I might have to buy one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/10/russian-moon-mission/?pid=428
Pics of the Soviet lander.

Thing looks like a boiler compared to the Grumman LEM.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Colonel K posted:

In trying to find out more about this chap I came across the Somali contingent, they have decided to go straight to rotocraft. Their cameraman also appears to be completely fearless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjL6xBBQ8ps&

Holy gently caress. That scared me just watching that thing fart and bang around.

Also, is it a diesel?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grover posted:

Thanks! Q. The caption says it's on max afterburner; isn't that only possible for the SR-71 at supersonic speeds?

It acts as a ramjet at high speeds.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grover posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. The turbojet doesn't have the same power or compression at low speeds as the ramjet at Mach 3.2.
The engine in if full afterburner. It's on the ground acting as a turbojet. Not sure what you're getting at...?

If you're saying it's not making the maximum thrust possible because it's not acting as a ram jet? You may be right as I don't know what the thrust is @ altitude, but the photo isn't saying max thrust, it's saying max burner.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So up here in Canada the planned F35 purchase by the current government is making a shitstorm in the media. The opposing political parties are up in arms (of course) and now even Dassualt is saying they were left out.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/11/05/-new-fighter-purchase-complaints.html

Actually, I think a competition would have been good, but really, we've been openly planning to buy them for years I don't see why it's a shock.

Personally, we should say gently caress 'em all and sign up for Sukhoi PAK FAs just to piss off everyone. :q:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grover posted:

Perhaps he defected to Canada?
We can hope. :ohdear:

We're in the market for new fighters, maybe building our own F22s is the way to go! :buddy:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ola posted:

Hahaha I love stories about aircraft idiosyncrasies. I don't have any links or usable memory available, but have read some rather hairy stories about, for instance, Royal Navy pilots in the early jet age. Carrier ops in the 50s was pretty rudimentary stuff.

Here's a great video which I'm not sure has appeared in this thread. Yak-50, popular acro plane, suffers engine failure and lands in a field. All in glorious high-res, annotated, pilots perspective video.

http://exposureroom.com/members/ANDYWILSON/516c094e78e441e4942f22ff800ade28/

That was a great video. Guy walked away from it, can't ask for more than that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ola posted:

In other news, flying a U-2 is hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eamnTyfkUBY

The one at 1:35 has outriggers on the wings. Do the others have them and they're not used or is that plane an oddball?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tripsevens posted:

Catering truck experiences hydraulic failure, renders A380 inop.
Emirates Airlines not amused.
Someones insurance just went up

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MA-Horus posted:

Bwahaha I know exactly where that is, too. Like gate 30, Pearson International. Every time I've flown out of Term1, that Emirates A380 has been sitting there. Bet it's the same registration number too.

Hah. The REAL REASON the UAE has been so pissed off at Canada lately is finally revealed!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lord Commissar posted:

I had Falcon 4.0 when it first came out, it CAME with a manual in a real nice binder with maps.

Wish I still had it, but I think I traded it to a goon.

I've still got mine. The biggest issue with the manual is that there were so many manual addendum that it ended missing a whole bunch of game features as the patches came.

That said, I still miss the hell out of big paper manuals and I'd happily pay a $20 premium for a game to have one. Nice for reading in bed or on the crapper.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It was easily the most complex game I ever worked on and regressing bugs could be a nightmare.
I did beta testing for Interactive Magic for a short while. What a soul sucking experience that was.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

All this talk of Flight Sims made me think of this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8688029843119861402

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ola posted:

Haha. They both praise the virtues of the sim, yet some things just remain different.

That entire episode really deserves to be watched in its entirety. It's an amazing flashback to a time with a show that's very professional and polished and people gushing about the utter realism and amazing graphics of the sims.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lord Commissar posted:

Nothing is more professional than a man with extendable antennae on his head.
Uh, except that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lord Commissar posted:

Pardon the crappy picture, I can't really scan this:

That's pretty cool. This is the only autographed ai photo I have, although it's not personalized :smith:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 12, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ That's drat cool.

Ola posted:

So sexy and futuristic sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtaoZvB7EFs

You can hear it best at 0:36, it's called "the blue note". Apparently caused by turbulence around the gun ports.

I think this was posted before, but the best sound has to be the F104 howl. It sounds like a posessed satanic elk mating call or something. Skip to about 52sec to hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIRwMhRVRY&playnext=1&list=PLFD6FCED55A44E3BD

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 27, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Boomerjinks posted:

I'm actually working on a display for a 104 at my local museum, and I'd like to add the howl as an audio feature. Someone posted a video a while back with a 104 throttling up (while still on the ground), which produced a very pure example of the howl. Can anyone remember the video?

6 posts above yours?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Boomerjinks posted:

This is the one I was thinking of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIRwMhRVRY
So, uh, did you look 6 (or 7) posts above your earlier post?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's air travel. It's chock full of utterly absurd and useless rules and regulations. While I find it incredibly unlikely that a low power cell(s) could have a negative impact on instruments (if they were that easy to jam I think we'd have bigger problems), if nothing else I always turn my phone off as a courtesy to other passengers. And it's a rule that the airline that I am voluntarily flying on asks me to follow.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 3, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Absolutely agree

ISO 9001 is a procedural paper trail. Nothing is saying the trail is even necessarily correct, that's beside the point.

Edit: I firmly believe it was an insanely clever make work project for the planet by the swedes or finns or whomever the gently caress it was that came up with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ola posted:

Content: The astronautical insanitiest pic. One spaceship taking a picture of another one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_%28spacecraft%29

I remember when that was released. There was pretty much a collective :aaa: from every space/aero nerd on the planet.

Afterwards JPL said they'd planned on trying to image it for months, but that there was an extremely good chance it wouldn't image so they didn't publicize in effort to not get hopes up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Skyssx posted:

Your cell phone is affecting groundside communications on a massive scale.....You can't have your telephone on because it makes the cell system go nuts, not because it'll crash the plane.
It makes sense, but I'm a little skeptical of that. There has to be thousands of people that use, if only attempt to use, their cell phones from aircraft every day. If that was the case, how does the system cope?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Those are pretty cool. No apologies needed for the photos, they're great. They're actually the first photos I've really seem of the 400M.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jeece posted:

A Challenger with a stuck front gear nearly crash landed in northern Quebec. Skip to 1:30 to see where it gets interesting. There is a snowbank hidding the crucial moment when the landing gear *finally* goes down, but it's still impressive/lucky... mostly due to the first aborted landing!

Holy poo poo, bit of a pucker going on there for sure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ack! posted:

A few days ago it was doing an engine run pretty much next to my car as I was leaving work. It was one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard.

A forest firefighting company has had a fleet of them for as water bombers. A few years back a major lumber yard at a big sawmill right in the middle of our city of 55,000 people caught on fire and the company called in the waterbombers to fight it within about 15 minutes. It was amazing sights/sounds with about 8 of them making repeat runs right over the city bombing the fire.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Advent Horizon posted:

I think each R-2800 costs in the low six-figures to overhaul now. I suspect that modern rebuilders have some automated trickery to help with the labor hours. I know that Everts will buy entire planes just for the engines, ferry them to Fairbanks and dump them (engineless) in their back yard.
The google streetview of that place is pretty drat depressing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

VikingSkull posted:

Supposedly, they are getting a shuttle, too.

I kind of doubt they'll get a shuttle unless it's Enterprise and even then I wouldn't give it strong odds.

Smithsonians going to get one (thats already acknowledged), KSC will almost certainly get one and I bet some west coast or at the very least mid-west facility will get one (AF museum in Dayton and/or Seattle MoF).

I would have a hard time believing it won't fall out that way. So all that leaves is poor Enterprise to play second fiddle when it's shuffled from the Smithsonian.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Boomerjinks posted:

I would think that Huntsville would be in the mix there, although aside from their Saturn V display building, everything at the US rocket center is kind of... yucky. I can't imagine where USAFM would put an orbiter, it's so packed already. They were all built in California, but where might they go aside from the desert at Edwards - LA Science Center? Midway? Hornet?
They'd build a hanger just for it. I doubt Huntsville will see anything, other than maybe Explorer :haw: if KSC gets one.

Really, only 1 orbiter and Enterprise are up for grabs. Smithsonian is getting one. KSC is 99% getting one. That only leaves 1 more and poor OV-101 to get shuffled. I can't imagine Dayton not getting one considering the ties the shuttle had to DoD missions. Too bad it never launched from Vandenberg.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

VikingSkull posted:

:qq:

Tell you what Senator, send us a Saturn V and you can have the Enterprise.
Texas has Columbia

And I have a hard time understanding why Enterprise has only moved to NY. That surprised me the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sexual Lorax posted:

Fuuuuuck. Every once in a while, somebody reminds me that this is Something Awful. This is a roots post, right here.
Actually, some guy mentioned it first in a GBS thread even though I thought the same in thing in a hosed up way, I just didn't have the balls to say it first.