Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shaking so bad it broke the nosegear light lol

Also:

`Nemesis posted:

me landing in any video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I get 404'd with those links, but I found this to give some perspective

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a question about ILS and the practical implementation of at airports.

I've noticed some airports are equipped with ILS are not in the direction of the normal, expected prevailing local weather.

For example, an airport near me (CYQL) has the "normally" active used in an expected E-W configuration (06-24), with 24 being used, probably (pulling this outta my rear end) 95 times out of 100. Westerly winds are going to be typically the norm, and they can often be quite strong. As in, sustained 40-50 kts with 60+ gusts is not unusual, especially as the seasons turn.

That said, the ILS is set up on 06, not 24.

What would the reasoning for that be?

Granted, on days that it would be very foggy or *very* low cloud it's probably not going to be crazy windy like the speeds above, but usually a west wind is what's expected so wanting an ILS but getting a tailwind in the process sounds a little strange to me. I understand RNAV/GPS approaches nowdays make that not as much of an issue, but before the days of that what would be the reasoning having it opposite what you would expect?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for that post.

That's the only thing I can think of too, as if the weather is bad with low ceiling or outright fog, it's not going to be very windy, but I've always thought it a little odd. There are never really "strong" winds from the east... North would be even more likely than that, and probably more likely to blow in the bad weather.

That said, maybe the earlier poster was right - when they set it up "back in the day" when they were installing it there was a physical reason (some WW2 era structure?) as to why they couldn't facing west. Some buildings which have been removed/burned since then. It's always made me wonder, but I suppose now wit it's largely moot. More of a curiosity than anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://x.com/AeroGazette/status/1562771013179359233

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I like to think I'm a fairly mellow guy in most ways but I swear to god, if I'm ever on a emergency evac and someone is blocking the way due to insisting to bring their carry-on backpack and suitcase with them, I will lose my poo poo.