Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Tetraptous posted:

Click here for the full 1200x782 image.

Mi-26, the world's largest practical helicopter

Most pictures really don't do the Mi-26 justice. Here's a better illustration of just how huge it really is - that little thing underneath that it's carrying is a loving Chinook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
What about a Viking engine? http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/
Honda-based, 110hp, a little lighter than the Corvair, and $13,500 which is about as cheap as you're gonna get for a brand new aircraft engine. The Corvair is only cheaper if you rebuild the whole thing yourself (the turnkey motors start at $9-10k last I heard). Mind if I ask what plane you're building to stick this thing in?

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
Wow, it's like a BD-4 hosed a Bonanza... and their kid had dwarfism :haw:

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Ola posted:

By the way, another alternative engine which is fun. Not a conversion, but an original design. How's a three cylinder, dual charged, water cooled, two stroke diesel for alternative?

http://wilksch.net/
Ooooh, now that's a nice one. I've been hoping a good diesel option will be available by the time I can get around to building (also in the "house before a plane" boat), what with the lower fuel burn, lower fire hazard, and lower price/higher availability of Jet-A over avgas.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

kmcormick9 posted:

because you dont want planes autonomously descending thousands of feet in congested airspace?

I know at least one bizjet's auto-descend feature (which only works with autopilot and autothrottle on) does a 90-degree turn then descends, the idea being that the biggest collision risk is something flying along the same path at a different flight level.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

MrChips posted:

Airlines don't really care for the Q400, as the super speed comes with super fuel bills.
How does the fuel burn compare with RJs of similar capacity? Does the Q400 actually have any advantages or is it just preferred when union contracts are less restrictive with turboprops than jets for regional routes?

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Delivery McGee posted:

Hah, there was a recent post on Tumblr about a passenger being removed from an airline flight for making sexist comments about the pilot. This was the picture they used:

I made a sexist comment about the plane. (Not really, I used it to explain the area rule).
But oh my, that rear end... :quagmire:

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

wdarkk posted:

What, did they find a cache of spare parts somewhere? Or is 3-D printing going to insane new levels?
Even if every replacement part has to be cut/machined/etc by hand, you're probably still coming out ahead so long as something with a serial number survived that crash.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Chiwie posted:

Piper tried that.

It looked pretty awesome as well.

Well, there's the solution to the Super Tucano vs AT-6 standoff. Just bring this puppy back with a 2-seat cockpit and modern avionics, and a formal proposal consisting of two words: "MUSTANGS, BITCH."

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
Ugh, why would anyone think it's a CIA plane? That's what shell corporations are for!

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

CommieGIR posted:

There was a unmarked C-130 at a certain airbase that was whitewashed, had multiple NVIS cameras on the outside and multiple satellite antennas. We were told that if our aircraft or theirs bumped into ours, we were to ignore it and claim it was weather damaged :tinfoil:

Really, at this point it doesn't even matter what line item the money came from or who "owns" it.

Beerios fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

Phanatic posted:

But detonation is inherently less efficient than combustion. Heat of combustion of TNT, pinch a piece of the stuff off and burn it, you get about 15kJ/gram of thermal energy. If you take that same piece of TNT and detonate it in an unconfined fashion, you only get 2.5 kJ/gram out of it. Heat of detonation is *lousy* compared to heat of combustion, the only reason you want poo poo to detonate instead of deflagrate is because you want high pressures more than you want thermal efficiency. So how can a PDE even begin to offer greater efficiency than a conventional Brayton-cycle turbine?

With TNT, you're comparing apples to oranges, since in the first case it's reacting with oxygen and in the second it's just decomposing without any other substances involved. A fuel/air mixture, on the other hand, has the same potential chemical energy whether it detonates or deflagrates, the difference being in how combustion propogates through the mixture.