Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Some Guy From NY posted:

here is this little beauty. the XB-42 Mixmaster.

A unique aircraft which may have played a big role in WWII had it been designed earlier and entered production.

Did someone say dual V12s and contra-rotating props?

how about the Macchi Castoldi MC-72?

Click here for the full 1024x585 image.

Why is it cool outside the sleek looks? Well for one, it's really loving fast:

wiki posted:

The M.C. 72 held the world speed record for all aircraft for five years. In 1933 and 1934, it set a world record for speed over water which still stands to this day.

It's also a pretty awesome feat of engineering and packaging:

wiki posted:

The design of the Macchi M.C. 72 was unique with a fuselage partly metal to the cockpit and wood monocoque bolted to the front tubular portion by four bolts. The streamlined nose contours enclosed an oil tank with its outside wall exposed to the airstream. The wing was all metal with flat tubular water radiators smoothly faired into the wings. The twin pontoons had three smoothly-faired radiators on the outer surfaces, the forward radiator for water and the centre and rear radiators for oil cooling. The float struts also featured water radiators and another radiator was fitted during hot conditions under the fuselage running from cockpit to tail.

But mostly, it's that that row of holes down the side of the nose are the open headers from its 2,850 hp Fiat AS.6 Liquid-cooled V24 engine.

http://www.aviationtrivia.info/Macchi-Castoldi-MC-72.php posted:

Two Fiat V-12 engines were linked together, one behind the other. A shaft from the rear engine ran through the front engine and on through it's hollow drive shaft to power the front propeller in one direction. The front engine powered the rear propeller in the opposite direction.

Which made it sound like this: http://www.aviationtrivia.info/documents/MC72.wav :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Those Ekranoplan pictures were loving awesome, so I took it on myself to composite the 3 sequential images he took into a full panorama. Here it is in both full (with blank space) size, and with the dead space cropped out. I used xs.to to host them, so get them while they're hot if you want a copy, I know xs.to's hosting doesn't hold out forever.

Click for 3,708 x 1,221

Click for 3,690 x 760

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

ursa_minor posted:

Weren't those things really really difficult to land?

ursa_minor posted:

Wow. That thing looks all kinds of :downs:. I don't think I've ever seen double-folded wings before either.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 17, 2010

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

azflyboy posted:

On August 3, 1959, a Taiwanese pilot on a training mission experienced a total engine failure over Colorado at night, but the pilot was able to dead-stick the airplane into the Cortez airport (due to its' runway lights being on), despite it not appearing on his charts.

Since the U2 is pretty much a glider with a jet engine, I'd imagine it's a hell of a lot easier to dead-stick than just about any other military plane in recent history. Still, I'd imagine the pilot (and airport manager) was pretty freaked out.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

You guys need to play some Buzz Aldrin's: Race into Space. Also known Astro(Cosmo)naut death simulator 1993.

Ola posted:

That game was impossible. Its like you're the bookie who has to eat all the odds NASA beat.

Bondematt posted:

I've still never won. Killed my fair share though.

Consider my interest piqued. Is this thing abandonware (hopefully)?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Every time I watch these, I can't help but crack a smile at the sheer magnitude of understatement the "we've had an anomaly" is.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BonzoESC posted:

I won't be terribly sad if I never see another -200; I was waiting at MIA once, watching planes go by, and a Bahamasair took off. The low-bypass engines look kind of cool in a retro way, but god drat are they loud, and the visible trail of pollution from them is ghastly.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bahamasair/Boeing-737-2K5-Adv/1905873/L/&sid=09d2b01b9a385a874e5925581ffe7340

Ah, so that's what they are! The beach I spent a lot of time at on my Bahamas vacation was directly in the flight path to the airport, and good god, those things are easily 2x as loud as every other jet that came over.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Crosspost from the horrible mechanical failures thread because HOLY poo poo. :aaaaa:

MrChips posted:

Just saw this on AvHerald.

Douglas DC-9 operated by Aeropostal in Venezuela made a hard landing. How hard? Really hard:

Bonus video on the linked page of an MD-80 coming in so hard the goddamn tail pops off. :supaburn:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 26, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Butt Reactor posted:

kinda odd that one reverser is deployed and the other isn't :raise:

I can't imagine getting nearly sheared off did the hydraulics/electronics controlling the reversers any good.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Two pages back, but thanks to Google's reverse image search, I was able to find a 1280x991 version of this awesome image, and took out the watermark. Not sure it's any better than PREYING MANTITS' version, but here you go anyhow:

click for 1280x991

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
A bit late to the last round of A-10 talk, but here's about as close as I'd ever want to get to the receiving end of the GAU-8.

And by "close as I'd ever want to get" I mean watching this video. The guys in it are entirely too close.

30mm pyrophoric DU rounds are goddamn terrifying, especially since they're blowing the gently caress up around you well before you hear the roar of doom that is the GAU-8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhKp6B7Ktpw

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

"Sail" is really getting to be cliche in aviation videos.

Yeah I was just about to make this exact post.

Ever since that utterly ridiculous wing-suit base jump it's just been everygoddamnwhere.

Watching it again just now, at least that one is much better cut to the music and the whole "this is how the angels fly" line fits a whole hell of a lot better.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
This was posted in the Amusing and Provocative Political Pictures thread in D&D and I figured it belonged here.

I always kind of had a soft spot for scale models of planes that never really existed and/or look nothing like the model once they actually do exist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Captain Postal posted:

edit: The B-36 was originally designed with single wheel main gear, but the contact pressure would shatter any runway in the world with the exception of 3 (I can't remember which 3). They changed the design the 6 wheel bogies to compensate - it's not just a russian thing to build to your runway specs.

:stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Also, that dude was a giant and should have just landed and stomped out the enemy

Well if I shine a flashlight at my hand, the shadow over on the wall is bigger than my hand. Works just like that outside in the sun too then! :downs:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

Almost certainly Army Guardrails. Google it.

Looks like someone mentioned them in passing earlier in the thread. That's certainly a whole mess of antennas. :stare:

LOO posted:

King Air with doodads (King Air 300 ISR)

e:whoops privately hosted, fixing

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
This crazy thing got posted in the PYF Awkward and Ugly thread of all places and it's just blowing my mind. It looks like some kind of crazy modified helicopter airframe? :psyduck:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thought you guys would appreciate this crosspost from the YouTube thread. Horrifyingly musical.

bolind posted:

Our favorite Canadian jet turbine wizard with a short but strong message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKPTWXD2Z0

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
:stare:

Sweet merciful gently caress.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
On my drive today I heard the guy who wrote the WSJ article on NPR state unequivocally that the plane was in contact with some kind of satellite communication for bare minimum 4 hours after the point of last contact.

When the host went all "uhh...that Rolls Royce engine thing has been denied/debunked" the WSJ guy said it wasn't that, it was something else, and then didn't elaborate at all.

As everybody else has said, this whole thing is jut nuts.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Crosspost from the horrible mechanical failures thread...

:pwn:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

...and with the gear not locked it had nothing solid to land on.

Except the buckets of those jerry lifts, one of which is pinioned between the gear & the fuselage/wing root. :wth:

Wonder if those were occupied at the time. gently caress.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Helicopter crashes where there's a high rate of descent that the pilot can't arrest (settling with power, mushing, etc) sometimes have a giant bounce like that because the dude yanks the collective up to his armpit in a panic. When the ground arrests the rate of descent, those engines are still putting out like four thousand horsepower with the blades at max collective pitch, and it becomes the world's most unwelcome max performance takeoff as the tailboom snaps off.

I would assume the "proper" thing to do once you've hit the ground is mash the collective into the floor to stay there? Looks like it'd still be a loving mess & a snapped tail boom, but they hit the ground in a way that wasn't immediately a ball of fire.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mekilljoydammit posted:

*quickedit* Actually, the Hercules looks even more impressive from cursory googling.

Ayup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vrvep_YOio

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Of course Blohm & Voss came up with something like that. Why wouldn't they.

How about a BV 138 with minesweeping gear?

Symmetry's for chumps, have a BV 141

e: fallen down rabbit hole, plz send help.

Amidships propellor? Sure, why not.

:psyduck:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 13, 2016

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Though those outrigger cockpits are pretty out there, I still like this one for how understated the insanity is.

Looks normal enough at fist glance, but wait... the propellor is immediately behind the cockpit, encircling the fuselage.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hahaha, I didn't include images of this one in my lists of insanity because I thought it was just something from Crimson Skies. :catdrugs:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

Cheaper to build and operate B-2?

Since when has that ever been the case for a new military anything?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Driving home from the barbershop I caught a large slow moving plane out of the corner of my eye and looked up to see a goddamn B-29. :stare:

Later at home I was out back vacuuming my car, heard the props and whipped out my phone to get a couple terrible pictures.

Not sure if there's an airshow somewhere in middle Tennessee or if it's just Memorial Day weekend flyovers. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Anti-Aircraft at work:

Forgotten Weapons did a neat bit on this Oerlikon 20mm Antiaircraft Cannon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCxITYzW-0&hd=1