Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I'm a huge fan of Pete Milligans "Shade: the Changing Man", a reinterpretation of an old Ditko character with the characteristic late 80s/early 90s British Invasion spin. The early issues are a little overdramatic but Milligan soon relaxes into it, and once it hit it's stride it was a great quirky book toeing the line of drama, out and out comedy, quirky cleverness and a bit of genuine horror too.

I believe they're FINALLY releasing it as trades (I have the bulk of the series as singles), and it's definitely worth checking out. I really hope they get to the end this time though (it ran to 70 issues I think), as like I said it takes a little while to really hit its stride and the strongest arcs are in the last 2/3 of the run after they ditch or back-burner most of the "metaplot" (if you've read the book you will appreciate the pun)

A nice thing about Vertigo is even when the books don't quite work, it feels like they really care about the WRITING. Even in books like Preacher, which I still like but have grown out of in some respects, It's very plot driven and not just about churning out pretty pictures every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I've gotten my hands on an extra copy of Neil Youngs Greendale graphic novel by Josh Dysart and Cliff Chiang. Anyone interested in checking out an advance copy?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I really like Air. It sort of has this gee whiz wonder to it while at the same time staying weirdly grounded. Sort of like Lost like you said, but also mixed with Indiana Jones or something. MYSTERY and ADVENTURE!

I like Air as well. And not to date my old rear end, but it reminds me a bit of the Secret Adventures of Jules Verne if they took away the steampunk and kept the sense of wonder and Don Delillo weirdness. I wouldn't label it as strictly feminist because it's so much more than that. I'm a guy, and I'm digging the hell out of it.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
The first issue of American Vampire really got me hooked.

I have been reading Sweet Tooth. Its really drat good. Each issue seems really short, but within that small space the author is able to really bring a lot of depth to the characters which really speaks for his talent.

The end of each book really leaves me on the edge wanting to know what happens next, not many comics have done that for me. After reading issue #1 in the store, I immediately put it on my pull list.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

minimalist posted:

Even the writer of the BoM ongoing is on record as hating Tim Hunter. The character sort of got away from him and became more whiny and self-absorbed over time.

The series itself whipsawed between quirky fun and angsty tosh, but I enjoyed it overall. Had its ups and downs for sure.

There's an important reason he's an unlikeable bastard! But if they didn't change him after books of magic #75, gently caress them.

Everything said, if they every brought in into JSA, I'd mark.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I wouldn't label it as strictly feminist because it's so much more than that. I'm a guy, and I'm digging the hell out of it.
Something being aimed at a female audience isn't inherently feminist, but still, I agree with your sentiment; I don't think it necessarily is aimed at women. Maybe it is feminist...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Akuma posted:

Something being aimed at a female audience isn't inherently feminist, but still, I agree with your sentiment; I don't think it necessarily is aimed at women. Maybe it is feminist...

Not just that, but look at Amelia Earhart and her squadron who can fly those ships because women have a innate ability to do so. Still, I should retract the accusation of feminism. Not that feminism is a bad thing, but the series doesn't require knowledge or support of it. It's just a drat fine comic that I would read anyway because it's so drat fascinating. And G. Willow Wilson rocks.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Another Tim Hunter book that seems to get overlooked a lot is Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, which was a neat twist on the character. Hunter is written as selfish and disinterested in his destiny, so he creates an entire new world. Meanwhile, back in the real world, a huge war is going on, so John Constantine and Zatanna are forced to bring Tim back to either stop the war - or destroy everything.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Matt Cruea posted:

Another Tim Hunter book that seems to get overlooked a lot is Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, which was a neat twist on the character. Hunter is written as selfish and disinterested in his destiny, so he creates an entire new world. Meanwhile, back in the real world, a huge war is going on, so John Constantine and Zatanna are forced to bring Tim back to either stop the war - or destroy everything.

Are there any of these past the first arc that were printed in TPB form?

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I haven't been much of a fan of the more recent Vertigo releases, but I have a lot of the earlier releases from the imprint. Of course, Doom Patrol, Sandman and Animal Man are the graddaddies of the imprint, but there were a lot of other smaller series that were excellent.

Sandman: Mystery Theatre is grossly overlooked in my opinion. It follows the adventures of the first masked superhero in DC, The Sandman, Wesley Dodds, as he goes up against pulp-era villains, mobsters and serial killers. The series was broken down into 4-issue plots and the art is a nice mix of murky and sharp. The feel of the book is like nothing else I've seen.

Jonah Hex: He had at least two mini-series in the early days, both a mix of the noir Western style he's known for, plus a steampunk/Lovecraftian feel to them. Riders of the Worm was very, very good and very creepy.

Sebastian O: A three-issue mini-series focusing on a Victorian fop with murderous and salacious tastes.

Scarab: A Vertigo style telling of a super-hero tale, one where a human being becomes a huge, grotesque man-beetle to fight crime.

Enigma: Surreal tale of a seemingly omnipotent and amoral super hero named Enigma and his strange relationship with a 20 year old TV repairman.

Black Orchid: Creepy, surreal tale of a woman that's half human and half flora. Kind of had a Swamp Thing feel to it.

Kid Eternity: a man-boy who had his eyes gouged out has the ability to summon anyone from history by saying the word "Eternity". The comic has a feel similar to the Invisibles, with history jumping being common. Kid Eternity is also determined to relive his lost childhood, thus the man-boy part of the story.

Skin Graft: A retelling of the origin of The Tattooed Man, a Green Lantern villain, with an occult background.

I remember a Brother Power one-shot that was really good too, painting Brother Power like a Swamp Thing type entity, but attached to dolls instead of the Earth. It had a very 60s style vibe to it.

And, there's also the Invisibles, which has already been written about in great detail. There's not much I can add to it other than, read it!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Psychlone posted:

Sandman: Mystery Theatre is grossly overlooked in my opinion. It follows the adventures of the first masked superhero in DC, The Sandman, Wesley Dodds, as he goes up against pulp-era villains, mobsters and serial killers. The series was broken down into 4-issue plots and the art is a nice mix of murky and sharp. The feel of the book is like nothing else I've seen.

If I weren't desperately poor right now I'd own the entire run, instead of just the "Face and the Brute" collection. The character and the time period were just begging for a darker, noir-themed reimagining and it delivers in spades. The rotating art duties keep things pretty fresh without losing the overall feel, too.

Click here for the full 400x603 image.

Click here for the full 400x611 image.

I want a poster of every single cover.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 6, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got my complete run of Sandman Mystery Theatre custom-bound into three beautiful hardcovers. :)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I got my complete run of Sandman Mystery Theatre custom-bound into three beautiful hardcovers. :)

OK, THAT is a really cool idea. How much does custom binding run to?

Russell_Nash
Mar 3, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

OK, THAT is a really cool idea. How much does custom binding run to?

That is pretty slamming. I would consider doing that on a few of my favorite titles.

How much does something like that run? Also where can it be done at?

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Those look so nice, how many issues can you get bound in each volume?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't want to derail the Vertigo thread, but I have blogged extensively about my comic binding experiences and covered all the frequently asked questions:

http://bigbadvoodoolou.blogspot.com/2009/07/binding-comic-books-1-justice-league.html
http://bigbadvoodoolou.blogspot.com/2009/10/binding-comic-books-2-starman-sandman.html

In short, it's cheaper than you think, and you won't regret it!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't want to derail the Vertigo thread, but I have blogged extensively about my comic binding experiences and covered all the frequently asked questions:

Just a quickie... isn't it annoying to stil have to have the odd advertisement still in there because it's on the other side of a "story" page?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Shameless posted:

Just a quickie... isn't it annoying to stil have to have the odd advertisement still in there because it's on the other side of a "story" page?

It is less than ideal, but at least I tore out all the double-sided ad pages, including the back covers.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Thanks for that. I have been considering getting some stuff bound but the ads thing might bug me a bit too much. I am a petty little bugger with things like that.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
There's a preview in Sweet Tooth #8 today for I, Zombie (I'm sure it'll be in other Vertigo books as well). Looks like it could be a fun title.

Speaking of Sweet Tooth, you really should be reading Sweet Tooth. gently caress me! :aaa:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I was watching the episode of Rosanne the other day where they win the lottery and at one point Dan and Rosanne go down into the basement. I noticed that Darlene had posters for Vertigo comics all over the walls. Pretty cool detail there.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks to this thread I checked out Joe the Barbarian and gently caress me it's beautiful.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Volume posted:

Thanks to this thread I checked out Joe the Barbarian and gently caress me it's beautiful.

The first issue was pretty :wtc: but damned if I haven't enjoyed the rest.

Also: No love for Cloonan/Wood's new Demo run in this thread? The original Demo was something I really enjoyed and I'm glad to see it back. Once again the first issue was poo poo, but "Pangs" picked it up.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

strangemusic posted:

The first issue was pretty :wtc: but damned if I haven't enjoyed the rest.

I actually enjoyed the first issue. It didn't have much in way of the story or dialogue, but the art is just amazing. I can honestly say that it's the best art I've ever seen in a comic. (Then again I don't read many.)

Click here for the full 1280x1992 image.

Source: Joe the Barbarian, Issue 1, page 17

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Volume posted:

I actually enjoyed the first issue. It didn't have much in way of the story or dialogue, but the art is just amazing. I can honestly say that it's the best art I've ever seen in a comic. (Then again I don't read many.)

Click here for the full 1280x1992 image.

Source: Joe the Barbarian, Issue 1, page 17

I'll definitely agree with being impressed by the art. Fantastic stuff.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Kunzelman posted:

Are there any of these past the first arc that were printed in TPB form?

No, the series was canceled at 16 or 17 before the second TPB could be put together.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Gassire posted:

No, the series was canceled at 16 or 17 before the second TPB could be put together.

I wish it could have. The first trade was great.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I don't know if my opinion will turn anyone into reading this book, as it is a deeply personal one, but here's my take on my favorite vertigo book.

I generally have problems coming up with a "favorite comic" but now I have found it. Daytripper by the brazilian twins Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba is easily one of the most beautifully made comics I've recently read. It resonates with me, not because I can relate to Bras (I can't), but because it uses magic-realism, a style which is used a lot in Latin American literature (for some examples, check 100 Years of Solitude or a more recent, and comic related book, The Life and Times of Oscar Wao) and which, for me, gives it a sort of familiar texture to it, which makes me appreciate it more beyond just the gorgeous art and beautiful writing.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Am I alone in totally loving the cancelled Un-Men series? I've brought it up in other threads, but so far I haven't seen anybody else talking about it.

Probably not that mindblowing compared to other Vertigo books, but I thought it was just super fun and gross. Reminded me a lot of the kind of books that Dark Horse puts out.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I finally got caught up on The Unwritten last night. Jesus Jumped-Up loving Christ is that a fantastic book. I think it's jumped straight to the top of my list as the best series being written today. I'm absolutely blown away at just how good it is.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I miss Flinch. It's a shame it didn't last very long.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I was a little worried about how this month's The Unwritten would turn out, as the cover looked like it might try to dip into Fable's territory, but I worried for no reason. Amazing issue!

I also can't wait for Allred's zombie book!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Roydrowsy posted:

I was a little worried about how this month's The Unwritten would turn out, as the cover looked like it might try to dip into Fable's territory, but I worried for no reason. Amazing issue!

Read all of the foul-mouthed bunny's dialogue with the voice of Steve Buscemi's in your head. Do it. It's awesome.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

Read all of the foul-mouthed bunny's dialogue with the voice of Steve Buscemi's in your head. Do it. It's awesome.
Goddamn, I wish I'd thought of this.

Even so, this issue was loving awesome.

On other things:
Daytripper was really good this month as well. But then again, Daytripper is always good.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 16, 2010

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If you aren't reading Daytripper, you are some kind of godless heathen that has never known joy, love, happiness or experienced life.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Unwritten #12 was just brilliant. The first issue where they stepped away from Tommy to show the greater picture (#5) almost put me off the book, especially coming hard on the heels of #4's murderfest. But I came back and kept trucking and now it's those type of issues I think I look forward to most, where the writer explores the concept of the story.

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...
I came to this thread after finishing Unwritten #12 (I finally got this week's comics) and I'm glad to see it getting the love it deserves this week. Perhaps I'm dull, but I didn't quite get the picture the first time we veered off the Tommy Taylor story. I think I see where it's going now and if that's true, it's going to be very interesting and I can't wait. The art style is an amazing fit, almost perfect. The crazy rabbit tops it all off to be, I would say, easily the best issue so far. I'll mirror what Taters said in that this jump from Tommy Taylor's story to these romps through literature a bit jarring but now the greater picture is opening up a bit, at least enough for me to see it. Yuko Shimizu on the covers is a huge bonus for me too. I enjoy seeing his unique flair on the front of the book each month. It almost looks like scratchboard stuff. At the very least, it's refreshing to see something vibrant, unique and whimsical on the cover every month.

Edit: I fixed the cover artist's name while researching it some. Is Yuko Shimizu the same Yuko Shimizu who first drew Hello Kitty or is it a different one?

Whorehey fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 19, 2010

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I honestly didn't find "How the Whale Came to Be" to be particularly jarring. Once they introduced that shadowy group and their motivations for using stories, I started getting a sense of how it connected to the main plot. Plus, there was an emotional undercurrent to the story that made me really connect with it.

I really wish I could jump forward in time, though. As much as I loved #12, after the way #11 ended, a break in the main plot was the last thing I wanted.

Oh well. Three more weeks... three more weeks... three more weeks... :sweatdrop:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I just picked up the first trade of The Unwritten and enjoyed it a lot. It's a fascinating story that had me searching around online to see if some of the locations checked out.

I couldn't find anything that explicitly linked Mary Shelley and Milton. Searching through a few biographies, it looks like they were supposedly living within about an hour and a half from one another when writing Frankenstein and Paradise Lost. Also, there's a mention of a Sue Morgenstern, a reference to "S. Morgenstern", the fictional author of The Princess Bride whom author William Goldman claims to be abridging.

This week is pretty great, with a new issue of Joe the Barbarian and American Vampire. The first issue of American Vampire had some really sharp writing that was witty and suspenseful. King's back up feature fleshes out the history of a character that you may have overlooked in the first story. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
You won't find one because it was made up entirely for the comic. Paradise Lost was written entirely after Milton went blind well after his traveling days were over. In fact the Villa Diodati wasn't built until over 50 years after Milton's death. It's weird that Carey would make a mistake like that, especially when you realize that the same competition that inspired Shelley to write Frankenstein also saw the creation of Polidori's The Vampyre. Which was the story that birthed the modern ideas of vampirism.

• Locked thread