Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

surc posted:

I'm not gonna provide examples because I was commenting on a weird pattern I'd noticed while reading comics, not trying to argue a point, and I am reading this at 7:50 AM on a Saturday morning. My initial post was intended as a "So do other people notice this too?" type thing.
I take it from your demands for other examples that you disagree that a lot of publishers start out strong and then get worse? You don't say you are, but otherwise you're just going "YOU'RE NOT FACTS ENOUGH" with no investment in the conversation, so I'm gonna benefit-of-the-doubt and assume you do have a stance. If you would like to have a conversation about this, please let me know your opinion and I would be happy to respond based on what your opinion is. I will not be doing a thing where I prove that my 'huh interesting' thought is the hard and fast 100% truth, though. :)

No, I was just interested in the idea. I want examples because I am interested, not because I am trying to discredit your opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, anyone check out Clean Room?

I loved Twilight Children, but hated Survivors Club, so might not be trying everything unequivocally (Mike Allred and Tom King's comics very much aside. Very excited for Art-Ops this week!)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

What does that even mean?

Like, if you set The Kitchen, Names, Bodies, American Vampire, FBP, Twilight Children ect in Gotham and Metropolis they wouldn't stand out?

Incoming fanfic casting...

I would love to see certain Vertigo series paired with superheroes. Hell, some of them would barely be a stretch. Federal Bureau of Physics with The Flash would be like the comic becoming more like the show (with better art than the current Flash comics). Martian Manhunter investigating The Twilight Children would play to the DC You version's strengths a ton. Retro Oliver Queen trying to untangle the gangland politics of The Kitchen is begging for a limited series, bonus points for Harley egging on the ladies into further violence.

Given DC's love for double-dipping on series, come on, let's mix up some premises already.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

No, I was just interested in the idea. I want examples because I am interested, not because I am trying to discredit your opinion.

Oh ok, well then I apologize for being snappish. Like I said, it was early and I had yet to have my first cup of coffee. I'll get back when I can bring up some specific examples :)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Unfollow had a good premiere issue. That and Twilight Children are winning me over, plus I can't wait for Sheriff of Baghdad. Keep em coming, Vertigo!

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Agreed that Unfollow looks like it could be very cool, not sure how they're going to cover 140 characters though, I guess they'll have a villain blow up a plane or boat full all at once.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I keep picking up Vertigo's new #1s and they keep hooking me. Helluva comeback.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've enjoyed all of the new Vertigo #1s I've read so far, but Red Thorn has to be at or near the top of the list. Probably the first one that I felt thematically could've fit right in with the glory days of Vertigo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC's current Buy 1 Get 1 Comixology sale extends to Vertigo, so spend all your money.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Buy-One-Get-One-Free-Sale/page/8895?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sheriff of Babylon came out pretty drat strong.

e: Interview with the artist http://sktchd.com/art-feature/mitch-gerads-on-the-art-and-nuance-of-the-sheriff-of-babylon/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 4, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry to look like a crazy person being the only one posting in the Vertigo thread, but the collection of the old horror anthology Flinch just came out on Comixology.
Was that a good series? There's some cool talent in there.
https://www.comixology.com/Flinch-Book-One/digital-comic/317806?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flinch_%28comics%29

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So is the Lucifer show supposed to be part of that wider DC Comics TV Show Universe?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chairman Capone posted:

So is the Lucifer show supposed to be part of that wider DC Comics TV Show Universe?

Who cares? It's a loving procedural, it can eat a bag of dicks and any of you who watch it should be ashamed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sorry to look like a crazy person being the only one posting in the Vertigo thread, but the collection of the old horror anthology Flinch just came out on Comixology.
Was that a good series? There's some cool talent in there.
https://www.comixology.com/Flinch-Book-One/digital-comic/317806?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flinch_%28comics%29

it has some good stuff as i recall. Brian Azzarello does a couple stories that are absolutely brutal.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

Who cares? It's a loving procedural, it can eat a bag of dicks and any of you who watch it should be ashamed.

You should be ashamed of this post.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

You should be ashamed of this post.

They've taken literally everything away from the character and kept the name. I'm within my rights.

In related news, the first issue of the new Lucifer run is out. It's not bad in and of itself, apart from Gabriel, but when you're following on from one of the best runs Vertigo has ever produced you need to stand out and NuLucifer doesn't.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

Jedit posted:

They've taken literally everything away from the character and kept the name. I'm within my rights.

In related news, the first issue of the new Lucifer run is out. It's not bad in and of itself, apart from Gabriel, but when you're following on from one of the best runs Vertigo has ever produced you need to stand out and NuLucifer doesn't.

I don't get why they'd revisit that character, other than maybe a companion to the show. Careys series closed itself off pretty nicely (the whole Lilith/silver city thing seemed like confused filler). Now it's "God is dead and Lucifer is the usual suspect" but which God? Creator God or Elaine God?

(I've read and reread the series recently and I loved the characters so I'm a bit into fanboy mode. I apologize)

ramenpower fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 18, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So apparently long-delayed, announced-for-Vertigo series The Discipline, by Peter Milligan, has just jumped ship and gone to Image.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

makes sense, everyone knows Image is the new Vertigo and has been for a while now, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's basically no reason to take a creator-owned book to Vertigo if Image will take you, especially if you're even remotely well-known. Image has equal distribution and likely better marketing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He mustn't have too hard a feeling since he just launched a Vertigo comic :shrug:

I thought Last Gang in Town was a bit of a bummer. Quoting Wire lyrics in the margins turns me off rather than getting across a reverence for the setting.
e: Red Thorn turned me off with all it's Nirvana talk too. I don't know why that hangs me up. Don't reference music scenes, comics!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 23, 2015

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

So apparently long-delayed, announced-for-Vertigo series The Discipline, by Peter Milligan, has just jumped ship and gone to Image.

Man, this got announced the same time as Hinterkind and Sandman Overture... I remember thinking it looked interesting, putting it on my pull list at the comic shop, and I don't believe I've thought about it in probably two years. Better check to make sure it's still on my pull list.

Anyway, I read Lucifer #1 on a whim and it really doesn't feel like a continuation of the Lucifer at all. And I mean that in a bad way.

I also for some reason didn't realize that Twilight Children was only four issues. That bums me out a lot.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

makes sense, everyone knows Image is the new Vertigo and has been for a while now, right?

What should I check out from other labels if I specifically want old school Vertigo comics but new?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What should I check out from other labels if I specifically want old school Vertigo comics but new?

Off the top of my head: Saga, Southern Bastards, East of West, Manhattan Projects, Lazarus, Fatale (any Brubaker + Phillips joint, really), Wicked + Divine.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Something Awful Forums - Batman's Shameful Secret - Vertigo: Are You Sure You Didn't Mean Image?

Serious talk though, I've been loving the latest wave, with Art Ops, Slash & Burn, and Clean Room topping my list (2016's issues could change all that, of course).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Twilight Children, Unfollow and Sheriff of Babylon are my top shits.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Off the top of my head: Saga, Southern Bastards, East of West, Manhattan Projects, Lazarus, Fatale (any Brubaker + Phillips joint, really), Wicked + Divine.

The Autumnlands, which nicely fills that "imagine if Fables wasn't poo poo" niche.

Also you mentioned Brubaker/Philips, but I much prefer Velvet, which is Brubaker's collaboration with Steve Epting. The basic plot is "What if James Bond was just a cover and Moneypenny was the real agent?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

in addition to the stuff already mentioned, The Goddamned by Aaron & Guera is very Vertigo.

Nameless by Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham also just wrapped up and was my favorite thing by Morrison in a long minute (it's basically the two of them doing Event Horizon)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If the folks behind Cabin In The Woods ever want to do a sequel, they could do worse than adapt Survivors' Club, especially now that horrors are starting to cross paths as of the excellent fourth issue.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Anyone care to theorize what the hell goes on in The Twilight Children? Hard to believe it's over when it only feels halfway done.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I just finished the last issue of Twilight Children. Great art, liked the setting/atmosphere, and liked the character interactions, had absolutely no idea what was actually happening.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sheriff of Babylon #4's out today. It's the best. I don't wanna be the only person posting about it, so read the comic, dummies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is it actually good? I saw a solicit of it when it started where it looked like "white American liberators save these violent Iraqis from themselves" and the writer explicitly said "I don't want to get into the politics of it" which is always a coded phrase for "support our troops".

If it's actually something more than that then I guess their advertising was off, but if it's even remotely an Iraq War puff piece there's no way I'd get close to it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Speaking for the first three issues, Sheriff of Babylon is much, much grayer than a "white liberators" narrative. There are double crosses on top of double crosses, like a military noir crossed with a half-dozen Iraqi personalities who talk about America's presence in good/bad terms based on history/the present moment, and they could be lying to whomever is listening in that scene. The seeming protagonist, the put-upon white detective, struggles just to maintain order and sanity among his own troops, let alone save anyone from another culture. His biggest virtue so far is that he seems to work with his eyes open and want to perform his duty in a straightforward manner, but he might also be the last honest person there. The question at the center of the plot is, "how did this corpse appear at the edge of the green zone?" but the answer requires looking at the story of everyone occupying the power vacuum in Iraq -religion, opportunism, loyalists, rebels, occupying soldiers, men, women- and their clashing motives. If the story turns out to resolve in a tension-shattering "the good guys were sent to straighten out this mess and dammit that's what they're gonna do," it would still have to tie up some complex loose ends that I for one have been enjoying. This is all without going into how Mitch Gerads is absolutely killing it on art, but I have the print issues and don't have time to stuff this post with a dozen TIMGs (tis the work of a nobler poster than I, who can only donate words).

Also, having read an advance copy of Dark Night: A True Batman Story, all y'all animated series and Paul Dini fans are in for a real treat. Comes out in June!

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Did anybody read Art Ops? I picked up the first issue cos Allred, was disappointed by the lack of clarity as to the premise and that it was generally a bit clumsy. Even in the art, uncharacteristically for Allred.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

tenniseveryone posted:

generally a bit clumsy. Even in the art, uncharacteristically for Allred.

Note that it's two guys doing art. As far as I can tell, it's mostly Matt Brundage and Allred will do close-ups here and there. It's really weird.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Teenage Fansub posted:

Note that it's two guys doing art. As far as I can tell, it's mostly Matt Brundage and Allred will do close-ups here and there. It's really weird.

Thaaaaat might explain it. DId feel a bit off, there was a sequence in particular where the narration boxes describe a character as covered in blood, but he's not actually drawn that way until two panels later...in close up!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Last Gang in Town is really good. Love the art style - it's cartoony in exactly the right way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is the new Lucifer series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How is the new Lucifer series?

Not awful, not the same as the original. The worst thing about it is Gabriel, who is hopelessly mischaracterised.

• Locked thread