Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Was Taters posted:

Dunno if it's similar, but I really enjoyed Enigma recently. It's just 1 trade collected.

Definitely not similar, but it's pretty good. Toss my recommendation behind this too if you want more Milligan.

It's... I don't know how to put it, if you want a similar "everyday horror" kind of thing like the bits of Shade currently in trade/that I recall (I read it ages ago give me a break), you might try looking for an old Vertigo mini called "Mnemovore". 6 issues, came out five years ago, I can find no evidence of a trade. I still keep copies of it around to this day, though, because it's a good chilling read. Young olympic snowboarder has an accident, ends up with large gaps in her memory after the concussion, and then the people around her start to forget things too. Good subtle work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'll believe it when I see it. They promised me Lucifer hardcovers too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Shameless posted:

On the flip-side, his in-Universe stuff, including that recent Flashpoint Shade thingy, has been pretty much garbage.

I can't think of a writer more "on-or-off" than Pete Milligan. When he's got carte blanche he can write the most brilliant books (Shade, Enigma, X-Force / Statix, Hellblazer) but when he's got to tie-in to... pretty much anything, he drops the ball big time (X-Men, Infinity Inc)

I'd say Infinity, Inc. was the last good in-DC title from him, but... yeah, the past few years after discovering a lot of his solo work and Vertigo stuff have really tarnished the image of the man I had as a consistent and solid writer.

And then DC proceeds to kick me in the dick in that regard too because they just up and stopped putting out Shade trades a second time.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

onefish posted:

Is anyone able to lay out the case against Warren Ellis clearly?

The major case against the man is this: you want to give the man some free reign because he can come up with excellent ideas, but he either had no filter and developed one later, or needs one (jury is still out on where to put the blame for Ruins, and his first novel was atrocious). Meanwhile, he's got a massive trail of unfinished works in his wake, corporate and creator-owned alike, because he just... gets bored, and wanders on to something else. (The "my hard drive broke" excuse only works so many times before you go "BUY A BACKUP".)

Getting excited for a Warren Ellis anything at this point is basically a game of tempered expectations. Pray that it's a miniseries and doesn't fly off the rails, or, if you're real patient, wait and see if it ever hits trades.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So apparently long-delayed, announced-for-Vertigo series The Discipline, by Peter Milligan, has just jumped ship and gone to Image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

gently caress. These two alone mean I'm diving back into DC for the first time in years. This had better not go like the last reboot I was hyped for did (I am still bitter over Static)

• Locked thread