Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
I used to read comics back in the 90's; when I got a bit older (16 or so) I stopped. Transmetropolitan brought me back to to comics, so I feel I owe Vertigo a lot.
That said, I'm surprised that no one mentioned Lucifer. It's not as good as Sandman, but then again, it doesn't try to be Sandman; and while I feel Sandman is the better comic, somehow Lucifer resonated better with me.

While I'm on Sandman spinoffs, I know there are several Death one-shots, but I've heard they vary wildly in quality. Which ones are worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's not like Melvin the Jerk mentioned it on the first page or anything.
Sorry I forgot, in BSS we don't read threads before we post in them.

Sorry Rhyno, I did read the thread but somehow I managed to miss that :(

Boy I feel silly...

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Actually I apologize, that was unwarranted snark that you didn't deserve. I was just in a pissy mood earlier.

It's all good, I should have read more carefully. Also, thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll import The High Cost of Living next month (man importing comics to Uruguay is killing my economy)

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

bairfanx posted:

This is debatable, and is almost solely based on how you're defining "good." Sandman is some great work, and there are lots of wonderful things about it, but it's more a collection of stories or poems that vaguely involve Dream/the Dreaming than a narrative. I seem to remember that, when getting into Lucifer, a decent number of the goons felt similarly.

I think that Lucifer, though, does a far better job of giving you an interesting protagonist, while Sandman does a better job of giving you a decent number of interesting supporting characters.

That is true. I spoke in absolutes when I was voicing my opinion. I agree that Lucifer is the stronger protagonist and I love the comic's take on him. I also agree that as a narrative Lucifer is more focused than Sandman, but I feel that the quality of writing in Sandman is higher. Let me make one thing clear: I think that both books are amazing, and the distinction I am making is between shades of greatness. Carey did a marvelous work; but I like Gaiman a little bit better specially in shorter forms. He is, for my money, one of the best current english language short story writers but his longer works don't reach that level in my eyes.

I have no idea if Carey writes short stories or novels outside comics. I'd love to read his prose, but I understand he is very visual. I believe he sketched out panels when doing scripts for Lucifer because he felt he needed to. Then again, he was writing a comic book.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

bairfanx posted:

Just for a differing opinion, I love the first trade, partially because I'm a fan of the art used in the Sandman Presents: Lucifer mini.

Yeah, that art is so great. I specially love Lucifer's face when he says "Everyone involved in this drama seems compelled to overact".
Transmetropolitan got me back into comics and Lucifer further cemented my revived interest, and while I can't choose one over the other let's just say that I love Lucifer on an intellectual level (drat clever book, it is) but Transmet got me like a punch in the gut. It was loving visceral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

This may be a bit of a tangent but while we're praising Mike CareyI might as well mention that his prose novels are pretty good. Not High Literature or anything, but a very compelling and entertaining urban-fantasy-noir setting with interesting characters and stories.

• Locked thread