Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I just picked up the first trade of The Unwritten and enjoyed it a lot. It's a fascinating story that had me searching around online to see if some of the locations checked out.

I couldn't find anything that explicitly linked Mary Shelley and Milton. Searching through a few biographies, it looks like they were supposedly living within about an hour and a half from one another when writing Frankenstein and Paradise Lost. Also, there's a mention of a Sue Morgenstern, a reference to "S. Morgenstern", the fictional author of The Princess Bride whom author William Goldman claims to be abridging.

This week is pretty great, with a new issue of Joe the Barbarian and American Vampire. The first issue of American Vampire had some really sharp writing that was witty and suspenseful. King's back up feature fleshes out the history of a character that you may have overlooked in the first story. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Gassire posted:

You won't find one because it was made up entirely for the comic. Paradise Lost was written entirely after Milton went blind well after his traveling days were over. In fact the Villa Diodati wasn't built until over 50 years after Milton's death. It's weird that Carey would make a mistake like that, especially when you realize that the same competition that inspired Shelley to write Frankenstein also saw the creation of Polidori's The Vampyre. Which was the story that birthed the modern ideas of vampirism.

Thanks for the info. It was one of those things that seemed just obscure enough that it could be true, but I couldn't find factual information confirming or debunking it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

UncleMonkey posted:

American Vampire #2 was pretty good. Again, I liked Snyder's stuff better than Kings (in fact, I think this book will start to really come into its own after King leaves). Skinner Sweet is far more interesting in the 20s story than he is in the backstory. But both stories had some holy-gently caress-what-the-hell-that-is-badass moments.

All in all, this issue made me feel more confident about Snyder's writing. Like I said, when the backstory is over and King departs, I'm guessing the book will become more cohesive and Snyder will start to really shine.

I'm a big fan of King, and I completely agree. Snyder is crafting an incredibly interesting story that outshines even King's. Loved the line where she says she can feel teeth coming in behind her teeth. The art works perfectly with the story also. One page made me gasp and say, "Holy poo poo." Really enjoyable series.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Still haven't gotten around to reading Unwritten, but I have some very minor complaints about American Vampire.

First, I love Stephen King. I love the Dark Tower series, even the ending. However, I do not appreciate King injecting the Dark Tower into the American Vampire series. Skinner Sweet's story is almost as good as the main book, but the Euro-Vamps referring to their servants as "Humes" just annoyed me. Minor, sure, but it pulled me out of the story.

I love Stephen King also, but I am so ready for the main story to get more pages every month. Every time it ends I think, dammit, it was just getting interesting. King's stuff isn't bad, it just feels like it isn't that necessary to enjoying the main storyline. He's probably building to some big revelation that we the readers will know about long before Pearl does.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

JackDarko posted:

American Vampire Survival of the fittest #1 was absolutely fantastic. Sean Gordon Murphy and Scott Snyder are an amazing creative team. It was a pretty dense issue even though there wasn't much action, a lot of details were dropped in conversation that will definitely be important later.

Murphy did a great job of making the issue a joy to look at with lush backgrounds that really added to the mood. I appreciated that Snyder wrote this issue a bit different from other AmVamp issues, he integrated the information new readers would need to be caught up really well.

Man, it was just a really good comic, I really like Cashel.

I'm reading this one in HC form as they come out. Are they going to do a new series each storyline now similar to Criminal or is this an offshoot while the main series continues?

It's not Vertigo, but I have to throw out another huge recommendation for Criminal by Ed Brubaker. The latest storyline "The Last of the Innocent" just started. Sean Phillips is doing some really fun stuff with the artwork in the first issue.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

JackDarko posted:

Have you had a chance to read the second American Vampire hardcover?

I'm in the middle of it right now and it continues to be very good stuff. I haven't read Iron Man Noir, but everything else by Snyder so far has been really great.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I finally got around to reading the 3rd story arc in Sweet Tooth. Good lord, this comic pulls at my heartstrings so much. If you don't feel something reading through this incredible story that Jeff Lemire is creating you're dead inside. I can't recommend Sweet Tooth enough. Phenomenal work.

His 3 issue series "The Nobody" was really great also. I should check out the complete Essex County from my library shouldn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

choobs posted:

Holy poo poo, yet, do it now. It's Lemire's best work, and I say that LOVING Sweet Tooth.

Essex County was really drat good. The characters drew me in and really pulled on my heartstrings. There's a lot of great heartwarming moments and some powerfully tragic moments as well, but nothing feels melodramatic.

• Locked thread