Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Just finished the second trade of Unknown Soldier, and holy poo poo. It gives a great feel for the situation and life in war torn Uganda, and adds in explosive action and a personal and political mystery. Imagine if Batman couldn't go back to being Bruce, and was stuck in a war zone, and that's about the size of it.

If you like DMZ (and you probably should) you'll really like Unknown Soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Does Vertigo have any digital comic distribution yet? I know they're not on the comixology iphone app.

They already focus on trades, they're selling some issues at $1, and it seems like they have the most to gain from getting out of the comic shop.

e: closest I've seen is I think you could download a pdf of Sweet Tooth #1 and a few others, but that's pretty limited.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lamuella posted:

they did a thing at one point where they put issue #1 of essentially every series they had done online for free.
Yeah, that was a good idea, but I'd be surprised if it ever reached out beyond people who are already comic fiends.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

RevKrule posted:

I wouldn't expect hardcovers on it for a while....a long while. Vertigo rarely does them I've noticed.

If you grab the two trades, you should be almost fully up to date, missing one or two issues.

FYI, second Unwritten TPB is out in August.
I feel like Vertigo used to be a lot faster then this, but so it goes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Tube posted:

If they were ever faster about trades, I don't recall it. Maybe they just got better, making you more impatient? ;)

Oh crap, it's June already!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't know, Wood never really makes it seem like living in a warzone isn't bad. If you can accept the conceit that Manhattan is now a cross between a refugee camp and Afghanistan, then it is pretty interesting and enjoyable. If you think book 1 was heavy handed and you're dreading anything vaguely anti-war, then I don't know if the book is for you.

The point of the book isn't that America is horrible or that soldiers are all baby killers, it is that war is pretty hosed up, it is possible to survive, it encourages a certain kind of politics and survival instinct, and there's a shortage of benevolent people.\

e: It's been a while since I read book 1, but I don't remember it being heavy handed

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Manwithastick posted:

Apparently Transmetropolitan may be back in 2011!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/27/the-return-of-transmetropolitan-for-2011-ish/
Rolled my eyes when I read this, but after I read the article and saw that this is a charity thing and will be written by a number of different artists, I can see some good coming from it.

Spider and the Transmet world would benefit from some different takes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

^burtle posted:

Finished the second Sweet Tooth trade, Lemire is such a great storyteller but gottdamn sometimes his art just transforms into pure ugly.

I'm with choobs, Lemire's art is great for his stories where everyone has broken hockey player noses and seen-too-much eyes. If he did the art for, say, Seaguy or THUNDER Agents, I'd walk away.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Seaguy with Lemire on art would be a very different book.

It would be pretty cool to see Lemire doing art for other stories, because it really does bring its own mood. Final Crisis with Lemire. Darkwing Duck with Lemire.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
DMZ is good and all, but Unknown Soldier really blows it out of the water.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There's not many ways to poo poo up a scene where the Big Bad Wolf tells the Adversary, "You're bigger than us, stronger than us, but if you come into our world we will destroy everything you personally love."

Willingham really hosed that scene up.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is anyone reading House of Mystery? The cover art I see from the issues and volumes looks really cool, but I can't remember anyone mentioning it here. To anyone who may have read it, is it worth a look?

It isn't great, but it is definitely worth a look. The real gimmick HoM has is that there's a story within a story in each issue, almost always by a guest writer and artist. The guest stories are usually pretty good. There is a main story, which is good but it ends up moving very slowly

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Seconding Roboto. That moment was the real start of the climax, and it was used to shoehorn in a pretty poorly thought out, poorly written analogy that Geppetto wouldn't have understood anyway.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Edge & Christian posted:

There was no announcement. There was a lovely sounding destined-for-failure-like-the-last-three Swamp Thing revamps that was canned, and Unknown Soldier got canceled because it sold poorly. This led to a series of conspiracy theories.

Wasn't that revamp going to be written by China Mieville? I'm not the biggest fan of his stuff, but it would've been really well suited to Swamp Thing and drawn in new readers.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rand alPaul posted:

I just read Spaceman. I loving love it. Are all issues going to be $1.00?

Pretty sure it is first issue only. Vertigo's done that before.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think the first trade comes out quickly and is just a few bucks cheaper than most, too.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

So Bill Willingham issued an idiotic statement about the comparisons between Fables and Once Upon A Time.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35737

He's denying that there's any substantial relationship between Once and Fables. It's pretty far from the dumbest thing Willingham's ever done.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

Sorry, it's the way he issued the statement, the self interview annoys the poo poo out of me.

You're right, it is annoying. I was going to try to defend him because it can be tough to make a well written 'I'm not angry' statement.

Then I remembered that he's a writer. Writing is his job and you'd think he could do it in a way that doesn't make you roll your eyes while grinding your teeth, thus causing weird facial cramps.

Bill Willingham - Good for plot, bad for dialog.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think I'm a trade or two behind on Scalped, but when I started I thought it'd be one of the crappy modern anti-hero stories, with Dash just frowning a lot and saying he doesn't like people while acting like a real hero in every other way.

I am so glad I am so wrong.

Maybe it is because I read the trades, but it was a bit jarring recently when it really just dropped Dash and went off to deal with the other characters doing their own thing. It works, but Scalped really defies expectations in so many ways.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'll say the same thing I usually do whenever Fable comes up. I think people are over-exaggerating things about Fables, because they are upset about how the series turned to crap when it didn't end when it should have.

I mean the fable government not taxing anybody is definitely not portrayed as a good thing in the series. They constantly had to beg people for money and were always in debt. The ultimate solution to the problem was just straight up killing a dude and stealing all his riches.

Yeah, the biggest problem with Fables is that it had a few bright spots in the beginning, and then I slogged through another 50 issues waiting for those bright spots to come back, but it never got better than bland. Animal Farm was pretty firmly in his conservative anti-communist ideals too, but it was actually a good arc so nobody cares.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

fnordcircle posted:

Propaganda exists all over. Is the issue that you find his propaganda obvious to the point of detracting from the story or that you don't agree with it?

I've never read Fables, so I have no frame of reference here. I'm just mindful of the fact that sometimes people are fine with something if they agree with it.

In the big confrontation between the Big Bad Wolf and the Adversary, Big goes off on a 1 page speech on how awesome Israel is. It was poo poo, and it would have been poo poo if it was a justification for single payer healthcare and gay marriage.

It is true that Willingham being a jerk doesn't win him any fans, but if I had a choice between making him liberal and making him write better dialog, it would be the dialog all the way. His plots and motivations are good enough, but his characters all have the same voice and that voice is exposition.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

SpaceMost posted:

When would you say the series starts to go south?
I'm in the mood for something a little different from superheroes in spandex, and Amazon.ca has the deluxe editions on sale.

Vol. 4 goes up to issue 33 + 1001 Nights of Snowfall.

It's been a while since I read it, but the first volume should give you a feel for whether the series is for you at all. It has different characters, some interesting plots but the author likes his characters too much to give them real problems and their voices fall flat after a while.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I just started reading Sandman again, and from what I remember of the ending I'm still really impressed with how consistent the character is. It's really hard for a writer to have a vision that starts in page 1 and keeps going for 6 years, but Gaiman managed it. Having said that, Gaiman's writing has an overly serious quality that works for Sandman, but I'm not looking forward to the parts that don't focus on Sandman, like Game of You.

One part of Sandman that I really have mixed feelings about is Hob Gadling. I loved the character when I first read it as a younger man, I loved the idea of a character that loves life so much he doesn't die, but as I reread the book as an older man I see Gaiman taking the idea too far and implying that if people die it is because they want to, and that's just insulting, and Gaiman never does anything with the idea beyond saying, 'hey, cheer up!'.

Another book I was looking through recently was Y, and holy poo poo I forgot how great the art was for that. Holy poo poo.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mister Roboto posted:

That...seems pretty accurate a metaphor?

Except that a lot of people die well before their time.

Hob would be a great character if he said the secret to not dieing is to randomly meet the embodiment of death. Instead he says the secret is to just not die, pretty sure he says that exactly towards the end.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
From what I remember, the first 2-3 books are mainly one shot stories hinting at a larger plot, and then the plot really takes over and it becomes a different story but is still written in the same way. Revenge, massive fights, and Azzarello's dialog are still all over the place, but it goes into a big world of conspiracies.

E: If the way its written and the way it depicts violence is what you don't like, those stick around.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Game of You is worth reading, it isn't badly written or flawed or anything, but it is a huge break from the overall plot of Sandman. Morpheus himself is barely present, and while there are repercussions in the plot most of the characters are very peripheral.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

Except one. One of the characters in it plays a major role in the rest of the series.

Plot wise, yeah, but I wouldn't argue you need to read Game for that character's appearance. Contrast with Destruction or Gadling or Lyta, where I think each appearance of those characters adds a bit more to the overall story and themes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Has anything else hit Vertigo like Losing Hellblazer and Swamp Thing?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
They had to cancel China Mieville's Swamp Thing so he could go to DC for 6 months before it rebooted.
Karen is editing China's Dial H, so she was definitely involved.
That has got to sting

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Was Taters posted:

Argh if this fucks with Dial H
Also, (and I know you don't care) Stewart tweeted that there's no chance of Seaguy 3 without Berger.
Didio riding into the new year on a pale horse flinging poo poo comics everywhere.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The Seaguy issue is that it sold really poorly but Berger believed in it and pushed for it, so it still happened. Not many others would do that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Writers can work on more than one book at a time, so I imagine it doesn't mean anything.
The book was announced for this year, if it is late it is more likely because Berger is leaving Vertigo this month and there is no replacement yet.
E: I would be very surprised if Gaiman signed an exclusive.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

This time travel anthology that they put out a few weeks ago is really, really good. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.

See if your shop still has a copy. Time Warp #1

Just got it, 3 stories in and it rules so much. I think this is the first Gail Simone I read and I really liked it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Yeah even if you don't know anything about 100 Bullets you might enjoy Lono just to watch a horrible person to horrible things to slightly more horrible people.
I picked up Lono knowing what Azzarello is like and it was still a bit much for me.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Benny the Snake posted:

So why isn't anybody singing praises for Astro City? It's a story about superheroes from the perspective of the common man like Gotham Central was for Batman or even Gotham Central

I'm definitely keeping up with it. It hasn't reached the heights that some earlier Astro City has, but I'm curious how this series is going to tie together, especially with the weird intro in issue 1.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am happy its finally dead, but that means that Vertigo is dead.

I've picked up the Wake, Trillium, and Collider from their latest releases, and I hate to say but none of them are really grabbing me. I just hope Vertigo stays alive enough to finish putting out the deluxe copies of Invisibles.

sky shark posted:

Anyone reading Brother Lono?

It was way too violent for me. I expect noir from Azzarello, but some guy gets his head cracked open for no drat reason of page 3 issue 1 or something. No thanks!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Molybdenum posted:

Later issues of Jack of Fables are worth reading for the Babe pages at the end of each issue.

It was when I realized I was slogging through 20+ dull pages for 1 good page unrelated to anything else that I realized I should drop Fables.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't think he called Wood a misogynist, just a fake feminist. I don't think he made a great or clear case (which twitter isn't exactly built for), but what I got was that Wood was happy to let women work for him, but didn't help them into positions of power. I think Graham's been silent on the harassment thing.

It could be he just doesn't like Wood, it could be that he knows poo poo he'd rather not talk about. He did say that his girl (Churchland? Church?) worked with Wood and wasn't as bad to work with as others have been.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Was Taters posted:

He doesn't just get praised for writing comics with women in them - he works with women a lot. I thought it was interesting that while the woman in question basically made it sound like it must be Wood (the guy you talked about, to Graham), she never specifically named him, no one else is naming him either. But, also interesting, is I don't see his former collaborators defending him. It's a weird situation.

And there's only one accusation against him, a lot of the time this stuff comes out in floods. I get the feeling he's a sleazy/creepy guy but tends to stay in that grey area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is Trillium losing anyone else? I'm just seeing a bunch of cutesy panel gimmicks around a story between two folks who took drugs and think they're in love, with some poorly fleshed out sci fi thrown in.

• Locked thread