Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Matt Cruea posted:

Another Tim Hunter book that seems to get overlooked a lot is Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, which was a neat twist on the character. Hunter is written as selfish and disinterested in his destiny, so he creates an entire new world. Meanwhile, back in the real world, a huge war is going on, so John Constantine and Zatanna are forced to bring Tim back to either stop the war - or destroy everything.

Are there any of these past the first arc that were printed in TPB form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Gassire posted:

No, the series was canceled at 16 or 17 before the second TPB could be put together.

I wish it could have. The first trade was great.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I just borrowed and read the entirety of American Vampire so far. I am unimpressed. Skinner Sweet is obviously a great character, and I laughed out loud several times, but the rest of the series was pretty flat. It reads like a minor Stephen King story.

I just don't understand all the praise that the series is getting. Can someone give me some reasons that they really enjoy it? I just feel like there is something that I am missing, but maybe it is something that either clicks or doesn't.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Soonmot posted:

We have an American Vampire thread, pop over there we need more than me and the OP posting there!

As for DMZ, I lost all interest in it during the Parco arc and never picked it back up. It started off great, but lost its steam.
I had no idea! I'll go post over there when I get off work. Thanks for the heads up.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I just finished a readthrough of the entire series. It is the most hit and miss series I have ever read--there are several issues, like the famous "Ramadan," that I thought were pretty bad. That isn't to say that the ideas are bad--the payoff for that issue, for example, is amazing--but it is obvious that Gaiman isn't a master of comics, but rather is a great writer who ended up writing a comic for a long time.

I was also surprised how often rape is used as a plot device in the first half of the series.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I dunno about most people but I've always thought the last volume of Sandman is terrible compared to the rest. Feels like Gaiman tried to cram way too much into something already fairly lengthy.

I actually think quite the opposite--it has a rhythm to it that really, really workd compared to the overly-long The Kindly Ones that preceded it. What kinds of things were "crammed in" (you might want to spoiler it, I don't know.)

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Kull the Conqueror posted:

You need to explain this a little more. I'm not just saying this because I disagree with you, but because I'm curious. Are you saying he's not a master of comics because there's something missing visually? Did he not direct the artists adequately enough? I'm really confused.

More often than not, the images feel like tacked-on parts of the narrative instead of being integral to it. There are very few moments where Sandman couldn't have been a novel or a series of short stories--my barrier for "masterful comics" is understanding the careful balance between word and image that really brings the reader in. For example, the page layouts in Watchmen show that Moore fully understands that balance and how to compress (or decompress) for dramatic effect. More often than not, I feel like Gaiman doesn't have that strong sense of what things are supposed to look like and how things are need to be structured on the page and therefore wasn't able to communicate that well to the artist.

Part of this, too, might be the rolling roster of artists who worked on the series. Some of them clearly understood his style of writing and were able to go hog-wild with adaptation, but I think there is some real visual struggling throughout the series.

That said, there are some issues where Gaiman is on his game and no one can touch him like when John Dee kills all of those people in the diner. The pacing and writing in that issue is amazing.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Jedit posted:

"Some really good writers did some important stuff. Then I took a bunch of drugs and redefined the genre. (Repeat ad nauseam)"

"And all my friends did, too."

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
So based on recommendations from the forums, I read through Young Liars today.

Why do people think it is a good comic? Can someone give me the run down? I'm less looking for an opinion fight and more trying to figure out if I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

sporklift posted:

Yeah. I didn't get it either. Everyone seemed horrible.

Everyone being horrible bothered me less than the fact that literally every major plot point hinged on a rape.

Also Lapham basically recycled a lot from Young Liars to write his Psychopath run on Crossed

• Locked thread