Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Unwritten has made me break my rule about buying Vertigo Trades. I like to buy Vertigo trades once the series has finished, that way I don't have to wait however long it is between trades and I can read the trades on a constant basis (allowing me to read something like Y in one long flow). However I made the mistake of picking up the first Unwritten trade (drat you low price) and now I am waiting for the next one to come out. Gah.

As for Milligan I hear his Human Target is quite good and brought a unique spin to the character.
I also heard that Unknown Soldier is excellent. Probably the next bunch of trades I pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Holy poo poo. Karen is Vertigo. Without her the line would never have been what it is today. Either she is tired of the comic business or she has real problems with current management. I wonder if all the talent she nurtured will soon be leaving DC.

I see it coming about one of two ways. If she is leaving just because she has been with the company for 30 years and figures it is time to retire with no hard feelings then I don't see anyone leaving Vertigo and possibly she could pick her replacement or oversee a clean transition.
If she is leaving because she got hosed over, even if it isn't publicaly stated as such, then yea, I can see their being major issues with her departure and it will be interesting to see if people do leave.
Honestly though, I don't see DC loving around too much with Vertigo. Yea there is the Hellblazer thing, but then again there is a bunch of other titles that just don't fit in with the DCU. I don't see why they would want to tinker with something that has been running smoothly for so long.

edit^^^^^^ I don't think Vertigo losing Swamp Thing was that big a deal. It is most foundly remembered for Moore's run, which predated Vertigo (although it has been retroactively collected as a Vertigo tradebook, like Animal Man) and as far as I know every time there has been Vertigo title of Swamp Thing the title has been cancelled.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

Wake has me totally hooked.

I usually trade wait Vertigo titles but Wake has me hooked too. I kind of like that it is a limited series. Means that every issue will be critical and so far the first two issues have been top notch.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is Vertigo moving to a more limited series based model for it's runs? I noticed that both Wake and Brother Lono are limited runs? If so this might neccessarily be a bad thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think Sandman: Overture is going to do some good sales, and I am loving Trillium. The thing is after Fables is done Vertigo needs to get another fan-favourite ongoing instead of all the minis it is releasing. Personally I prefer the minis more but they aren't sustainable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Most of the earlier Vertigo titles (ie Sandman, Transmet, Preacher etc) I only got into thanks to trades. I keep thinking that Vertigo titles get all its money due to trades, more than single issues. Vertigo titles just seem built for the trade market.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Gaiman has said that he is to blame for it. It's weird though as I would have thought that the first few issues would have been in the can. They announced Overture quite a while's back and you would think that would be enough lead time to have at least issue 2 done. For there to be a delay after one issue is annoying.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Brocktoon posted:

This fall on ABC: The Preaching Man! Southern preacher Jesse Cutler is having a crisis of faith, until he has a first-hand experience with God. Now he's on a life-affirming journey across the country spreading the good word. In the pilot episode, Jesse dissuades a teenager from attempting suicide.

Forget ABC, send it to CW and have the character be in high school.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Len posted:

If it's coming from The CW they could introduce Jesse on Supernatural then based on how many fan fictions he appears in spin it off into a show.

Can't wait for the fans to start shipping Jesse and Cassidy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have never read The Boys but I have always always always loved this cover

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Literally The Worst posted:

I loving love Kick-rear end because it's impossible to read it as anything other than Mark Millar hating the people who thought Wesley from Wanted was a cool guy. The main character, a sad sack shitheap, is named after a dude who won an auction for it. It's a beautiful cry of anger followed by five years of just giving up.

It's a garbage comic though.

I think you are giving Millar too much credit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Saga is excellent and has it's own excellent thread filled with Saga goodness.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Warren Ellis is the guy who after Heath Ledger's untimely death posted a rant to his mailing list about what a oval office Ledger had been to kill himself knowing that his young daughter would find the body. A number of people complained as Ellis hadn't cared to find out that Ledger's daughter wasn't there, and didn't bother waiting for the pathology report to judge it suicide (the verdict was accidental overdose). Ellis's response was not a retraction - instead he claimed that he'd been joking and his fans were too stupid to realise it. Ellis will never again receive a penny of my money.

Also, Planetary is the most massively overrated book of all time.

I find in general talented people to be stuck up egotistical arseholes, and that is why listening to them talk about anything outside of their medium is rather annoying. That being said Planetary is amazing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hakkesshu posted:

Huge Unwritten sale on Comixology. I assume that book is good, since it's the pretty much only Vertigo title people still talk about in this thread? Should I get it even if I think Harry Potter is a bunch of horseshit?

Unwritten is a book that can appeal to those who love Harry Potter or who hate Harry Potter. Unwritten actually is a book that can appeal to anyone because it is awesome.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Got an email that Comixology is doing a Lucifer sale. 99c per issue. I haven't read it myself but I might check it out now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So....any release date on Sandman Overture No. 2 coming out?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Martello posted:

Anyone else have the 100 Bullets Deluxe Editions? I had the entire run of TPBs but I lent all of them to my little brothers so they could get some education on good crime comics. I decided to switch to the deluxe hardcovers, and I'm glad I did. I have 1-3 with 4 on the way, and they are gorgeous. I love everything about the cover design, especially how they make one giant Dave Johnson masterpiece when you arrange them side to side.

They ain't quite Hellboy Library Editions but they're close.

I wanted to pick these up for the library I work in but unfortunately volume 1 seems to be out of print.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Has anyone but me been reading Snyder and Murphy's The Wake? Next issue is the finale, and I have no idea how they're going to tie all this up!

I have (though I am an issue behind). It is definitely awesome and the second part has been completely bonkers. I kind of wish it was an ongoing so every story arc can do some different genre.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One thing I noticed in Unwritten is that there is a tonal shift in the books as the story progresses, which makes sense as it becomes something a lot bigger than "what if Harry Potter lived in the real world, but a world controlled by a secret literary cabal".
Also I'm adding it to my list of "books that need to be annotated".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

krakagar posted:

I'm pretty excited about Fables ending so I can finally stop buying it.

Does anyone remember when Vertigo was the place to go for awesome, mature, thoughtful groundbreaking comics? Now that Unwritten is over, they really haven't got much to offer, although I guess it was obvious that when Berger went it was in its last throes.

Thank goodness for Image comics, I guess.

Every few years people talk about how good Vertigo used to be. I think they still put out great titles, but it seems with every title that reaches an end people will start saying "this is it, Vertigo is going to die now."

One thing I think has taken away from Vertigo though is the resurgence of Image. Before, Vertigo used to be the place the place to go for more mature titles away from the superhero fair, but now Image is becoming that place.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Treebeh posted:

I've recently gotten back into reading Vertigo comics because I remembered how amazing they all are. What are everyone's favorite comics, new or old? I think mine might be Preacher just because it's so batshit insane and entertaining. Sandman is so beautiful and mystical that it is also a strong contender. I'd be interested in learning about some lesser known comics that I might not have heard of.

Unwritten. The answer is always Unwritten, especially if you like Sandman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kull the Conqueror posted:

New Sandman Overture coming out tomorrow. :worship:

So the one following this one will come out in....6 months time? Why am I not trade-waiting this title?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

What are the essential Vertigo series?

Depends what you means?
The "classics" (or first wave) would be stuff like Sandman, Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Invisibles, Doom Patrol, Lucifer. You could also go into the proto-Vertigo titles (ie stuff that was released before Vertigo existed but helped make Vertigo what it is, for which Sandman kind of falls into). These titles include Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run and Morrison's Animal Man.
Post first wave stuff includes Y: The Last Man, 100 Bullets, Sweet Tooth, Fables, Unknown Soldier, Unwritten.

All of these would be considered "essential" and are really excellent books (I guess excepting Fables which I haven't read and seems to get mixed reviews).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sadly Constantine the tv show only started finding it's footing in the last 3 episodes. I think it was around the episode where he finally lit a cigarette.

Movie Constantine was awesome if you ignored the movie and pretended it was an original property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It has beautiful Alred artwork but a story that is filled with terrible pacing. Maybe it works better in trade form, but I was reading it as a monthly and it just seemed that so little happens in the comic that it just kind becomes meaningless.

• Locked thread