Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Books of Magic started out as a 4 comic run by Neil Gaiman, and that was a fantastic tale that was in many ways, a Christmas Carol about Magic rather than how tim is evil. Even if you don't like the rest of it, read these 4 issues, simply amazing stuff.

After this was a 75 issue run that changed the tone considerably, including teen angst, love interests and an often unlikeable main character amongst the continued horrors of magic theme. I quite enjoyed the whole run though, despite it's many flaws and occasional bad plot arcs. Why? Because of the ending, which is the greatest payoff I've read in comics. Which brings me to my second reccomendation: If you can't get the entire run (DC have only released 1-50 in trades), it's not reading too much.

As for a "newer" series, Blood + Water is a fun quick story about vampires with a few nice twists on the formula.

I really should read more vertigo, I just can't stand normal DC and Marvel most of the time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

minimalist posted:

Even the writer of the BoM ongoing is on record as hating Tim Hunter. The character sort of got away from him and became more whiny and self-absorbed over time.

The series itself whipsawed between quirky fun and angsty tosh, but I enjoyed it overall. Had its ups and downs for sure.

There's an important reason he's an unlikeable bastard! But if they didn't change him after books of magic #75, gently caress them.

Everything said, if they every brought in into JSA, I'd mark.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

The Action Man posted:

Criminal is the best reason for Marvel to have the Icon imprint. It could be the only title on the Icon imprint, and it would still be worth it.

This the same "series" as Sleeper? Because that was pretty loving great.

Corbet posted:

I know I'm a few years too late but drat, the ending to Y: The Last Man was great. I'm sad to see it end.

Oh well, time to pick out another Vertigo title to start reading. Should I start reading Ex Machina for some more Vaughan greatness?

Really? I thought Y: The Last Man ended poorly. Ex Machina in my opinion suffered from the author trying to make it into more of an action/superhero comic than it needed to be.

j00rBuDdY posted:

Any love for The Exterminators?

Written by Simon Oliver and Tony Moore. Really great short series but the end felt rushed. Fantastic artists though. It's what got me started into Vertigo and having just finished Preacher, I am moving onto YtLM next.

Eh, after the first trade I just didn't see any reason to continue to read.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is anyone reading House of Mystery? The cover art I see from the issues and volumes looks really cool, but I can't remember anyone mentioning it here. To anyone who may have read it, is it worth a look?

To me it's harking back to the 'golden days' of vertigo when they had books of magic, sandman, etc. but just not as good as any of those.

• Locked thread