Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I really like Air. It sort of has this gee whiz wonder to it while at the same time staying weirdly grounded. Sort of like Lost like you said, but also mixed with Indiana Jones or something. MYSTERY and ADVENTURE!

I like Air as well. And not to date my old rear end, but it reminds me a bit of the Secret Adventures of Jules Verne if they took away the steampunk and kept the sense of wonder and Don Delillo weirdness. I wouldn't label it as strictly feminist because it's so much more than that. I'm a guy, and I'm digging the hell out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Akuma posted:

Something being aimed at a female audience isn't inherently feminist, but still, I agree with your sentiment; I don't think it necessarily is aimed at women. Maybe it is feminist...

Not just that, but look at Amelia Earhart and her squadron who can fly those ships because women have a innate ability to do so. Still, I should retract the accusation of feminism. Not that feminism is a bad thing, but the series doesn't require knowledge or support of it. It's just a drat fine comic that I would read anyway because it's so drat fascinating. And G. Willow Wilson rocks.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ThusZarathustra posted:

It's quite good. Worth picking up the trades (there'll ultimately be four) when they're out. Also, G. Willow Wilson mentioned on Twitter that she's known for some time that the series would be ending at issue 24 and so she was able to end it more or less as she wanted too. She also lightly hinted that we'd get at least one more ongoing out of her eventually; maybe once shes done with her current book projects.

That's a bummer, but at least it's ending in an intentional way. Such a shame because it was pretty awesome. Oh well.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SkellingTon Loc posted:

I've been slowly working my way through Doom Patrol, and I just finished the 4th trade last week. I think it's is shaping up to be my absolute favorite Grant Morrison series.

The end of the fifth trade is possibly the best thing ever. I love how it ties in everything and yet isn't that shocking but somehow is. I won't ruin it for you, but be sure you have the sixth trade on hand.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

InnercityGriot posted:

I agree completely, and would actually go so far as to say that Morrison's Doom Patrol is my favorite comic book ever, period, because it is so effective at getting you to care about such odd characters. People always remember the cool poo poo he did with Crazy Jane, and the change from Negative Man into Rebus, but to me, the coolest thing he did was that he made Cliff Steele into a really wonderful character. He was kind of like a more screwed up version of Marvel's the Thing, mainly because he was supposed to be the big bruiser of the group but his robot body always struck as being kind of second-rate, like nobody wanted to take much time constructing the drat thing, and when he finally gets a new body, it gets destroyed . Despite the fact he was constantly getting trashed in the series, he keeps on plugging along, helping out his friends, and generally being a cool dude.

I always loved that for a character built around such a physical concept (robot dude who punches things), he is at his most effective in the series when he is without the use of his body. (Entering Crazy Jane's subconscious, and of course, the end of the series.) The moment at the end of the series, where he shows up with Danny the Street to pick up Crazy Jane and tells her to come in out of the rain is such a "gently caress yeah!" moment, especially when it precedes my all-time favorite last line of any comic.

There is another world. There is a better world. Well...There must be.

It's such a wonderful ending, and so much more goddamn optimistic than what was happening in comics at the time (GRIMNGRITTY), or even what is happening in comics today. So, yeah. Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol for life. If you don't like it, I don't care about you.

The thing I love about Doom Patrol is how completely insane it can be and how okay it is with that. Cliff's evolution from man trapped in hell to the most normal member of the group is quite a revelation and at the end his inability to recognize why he's a hero is quite remarkable. Still, nothing beats Morrison's own way of making the series his own via Danny the World. Somewhere in the DC Multiverse Danny the World is still there, with Negative Man/Etc still floating around, with Robotman and Crazy Jane still living their lives. That stuff that came afterward? Eh, it might look like them, but it isn't Morrison's, and that's quite beautiful.

Plus the New New Brotherhood of Dada rocks the loving Earth.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Witters posted:

Cut for brevity.

Ugh.

"We're Israel, and you're Palestine! Oh, and we can hit you anywhere like a terrorist bomber."

"But wouldn't that make you Palestine, and ruin your analogy?"

"I..um...SHUT UP!"

Edit: Oh, thanks for recommending The Unwritten. It's a drat fun series. I even picked up Sweet Tooth because of you awesome people. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, Fables took a turn for the worse lately. Jack of Fables started off well and degraded after the Great Fables Crossover. In fact, the Great Fables Crossover in general was so bad it damaged both series.

Jack of Fables ended terribly, and I expect Fables will as well unless the quality improves. And Willingham realizes no one wants to hear his conservative political views.

Willingham needs to learn a lesson that a lot of talented people with very strong views learned the hard way: no piece of art is made in a political vacuum, but you don't have to be aware of that politics to enjoy the work because you damage both the work and your views if not handled with the figleaf of impartiality.

In other words, I like what he does but he needs to keep doing it and leave his politics at home because they're not helping.

• Locked thread