Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Wazzu posted:

Books of Magic started out as a 4 comic run by Neil Gaiman, and that was a fantastic tale that was in many ways, a Christmas Carol about Magic rather than how tim is evil. Even if you don't like the rest of it, read these 4 issues, simply amazing stuff.

After this was a 75 issue run that changed the tone considerably, including teen angst, love interests and an often unlikeable main character amongst the continued horrors of magic theme. I quite enjoyed the whole run though, despite it's many flaws and occasional bad plot arcs. Why? Because of the ending, which is the greatest payoff I've read in comics. Which brings me to my second reccomendation: If you can't get the entire run (DC have only released 1-50 in trades), it's not reading too much.

What's really annoying is the strange order of the books:

Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic
The Books of Fairie (second half) (yes, second half)
The Books of Magic Vol. 1
The Books of Magic Vol. 2
The Books of Fairie (first half) (which contains spoilers for BoM Vol. 2)
The Books of Magic Vol. 3
The Books of Magic Vol. 4
The Books of Magic Vol. 5
The Books of Magic Vol. 6
The Books of Magic Vol. 7
The Books of Magic Issues #51-#75
The Names of Magic Continues off of issues #51-#75 (which isn't collected anywhere)
The Books of Magick Vol. 1 (series reboot)
The Books of Magick Issues #7-12 (again, not collected anywhere)

And, of course, you need to read most of them in order to understand what's going on.

DC refused to support the series, which wouldn't piss me off so much if it they didn't keep trying to bring it back at the same time. Although I did like watching Tim get his rear end handed to him during Mike Carey's Staring at the Wall arc in Hellblazer

JustV fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread