Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Volume posted:

Thanks to this thread I checked out Joe the Barbarian and gently caress me it's beautiful.

The first issue was pretty :wtc: but damned if I haven't enjoyed the rest.

Also: No love for Cloonan/Wood's new Demo run in this thread? The original Demo was something I really enjoyed and I'm glad to see it back. Once again the first issue was poo poo, but "Pangs" picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Volume posted:

I actually enjoyed the first issue. It didn't have much in way of the story or dialogue, but the art is just amazing. I can honestly say that it's the best art I've ever seen in a comic. (Then again I don't read many.)

Click here for the full 1280x1992 image.

Source: Joe the Barbarian, Issue 1, page 17

I'll definitely agree with being impressed by the art. Fantastic stuff.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I just read the first two American Vampire one after the other and I think this could be a really fun series. I love the way that the style changes when the vampires show their, ahem, teeth...

Joe the Barbarian 4 was also the best one yet. More succulent art, ever-more-comprehensible story developments, and a generally strong development of the "diabetic freakout/fantasy opus" schism.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I would also highly recommend the Cost of Living.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

racecardriver posted:

I'm really loving Joe the Barbarian. The art is so drat incredible -- the level of detail is stunning. Does the plot remind anyone else of a creepy '80s kid's movie? It reminds me of stuff like Neverending Story, Labyrinth, and The Dark Crystal in the sense that seeing it as a kid would have freaked me out a bit.

That's exactly the feeling I get reading it. It's a book that rewards people who love to scrutinize their comics for detailed between-the-lines stuff. The latest issue is pretty :negative: but so goood!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

KiloVictorDongs posted:

I read DMZ up until the 40s or so, where I thought it got dumb. The main character uses all his sweet hookups to start a paramilitary of his own! Totally aweso-wait, what happened to all that "I don't kill people, IM A JOURNALIST IVE COVERED WARS YOU KNOW" poo poo from earlier?" I dunno, it just seemed really contrived.

I also started off enamored with DMZ and then felt that it really tapered off.

Now, Demo #6 on the other hand...

Whoa. Hell of a way to close their second set. I kind of freaking love Demo.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 9, 2010

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

UncleMonkey posted:

Just finished Sweet Tooth #11. For those on the fence about the book after reading the first trade, I would encourage you to give the second a shot when it comes out. That's a really high demand, I know; but I think the first and second story arc really have to be read as one. The end of #11 brings things full circle in a really satisfying way; and with it, the second arc as a whole really allows you to understand and almost sympathize with why the first arc ends like it does. Also, there really is a sense that the world of this book is about to open up in a really big way.

I think #11 is the best issues of the series so far. It's very tight and powerful.

I just bought the first trade of Sweet Tooth, thanks for the heads up!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

teekun posted:

Unfortunately, it's also now canceled.

Wait what gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

For actual content: I've read the first four trades of Lucifer and man does it go downhill during "Dalliance With The Damned". Still an enjoyable series so far, though... the whole alternate creation thing is very well done. Must go fritter more money on TPs!

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 25, 2010

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

nosophoros posted:

I almost didn't buy the second Unwritten trade but boy am I glad I did, this series has won me over for the long haul.

Having also recently read the second trade, I'm actually finding myself losing interest... I feel like Carey and Gross did a much more compelling job of storytelling with Lucifer.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Oh man, did the second Sweet Tooth trade come out while I wasn't looking? That is absolutely on the must-buy list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

So I just read Daytripper for the first time, in trade.

God drat.

• Locked thread