Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

xenilk posted:

For anyone looking to start a 8 book serie, The Kitchen's first issue was a lot of fun to read.

Echoing this. Sets up plenty of plot for issue 2 to hit the ground running. Knowing it's scheduled for 8 issues raises my hopes that this won't spin its wheels at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Benny the Snake posted:

So is anybody reading The Kitchen?

I read both current issues and am subscribed.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gaz-L posted:

The pacing is a little confused, though. Like, the events so far seem like they've taken place over a week or two, yet the girls are already seen as the power in the Irish mob?

They broke a couple of eggs, everyone else smells the omelette.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Kitchen can't actually end, right? I need 5 seasons of it on AMC.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm three trades into iZombie (out of four) and am afraid it's gradually becoming a case of Allred's art making the plot seem cooler than it is.
The first trade is great, and I'd still recommend the series in general, but that gum might run out of flavor on you.
(Honestly, that's how I'm starting to feel about the TV show, too.)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thank you, DC, for announcing so many lackluster "refreshes" for your fall launches (though Amy Chu writing Poison Ivy oughtta be cool), I can pick up the best of these Vertigos instead. Hot diggity drat, this news makes me happy!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Twilight Children preview won me over, as if there was any doubt in a Hernandez/Cooke teamup.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

onefish posted:

Vertigo 101 sale, possibly the best single sale I've ever seen on Comixology.

Full runs of Preacher, 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan, Y: The Last Man, DMZ, Ex Machina, Scalped, American Vampire: Volume One, Sweet Tooth, and the first 10 trades of Hellblazer, at less than $1/issue ($5 per trade--Preacher and Ex Machina are deluxe trades so it's $30 for all of Preacher and $25 for Ex Machina). Plus Daytripper, V for Vendetta, Pride of Baghdad, Trillium, and a few others tossed in for kicks. (Looks like The Losers full run, 32 issues in two $5 volumes, is also down there--discussion and reviews of it aren't bad either.)

Holy macaroni!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As just about everyone predicted, The Twilight Children is fuckin' aces. Great first issue.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I think iZombie works great for two volumes, especially one, then falls apart.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

What does that even mean?

Like, if you set The Kitchen, Names, Bodies, American Vampire, FBP, Twilight Children ect in Gotham and Metropolis they wouldn't stand out?

Incoming fanfic casting...

I would love to see certain Vertigo series paired with superheroes. Hell, some of them would barely be a stretch. Federal Bureau of Physics with The Flash would be like the comic becoming more like the show (with better art than the current Flash comics). Martian Manhunter investigating The Twilight Children would play to the DC You version's strengths a ton. Retro Oliver Queen trying to untangle the gangland politics of The Kitchen is begging for a limited series, bonus points for Harley egging on the ladies into further violence.

Given DC's love for double-dipping on series, come on, let's mix up some premises already.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Unfollow had a good premiere issue. That and Twilight Children are winning me over, plus I can't wait for Sheriff of Baghdad. Keep em coming, Vertigo!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I keep picking up Vertigo's new #1s and they keep hooking me. Helluva comeback.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Something Awful Forums - Batman's Shameful Secret - Vertigo: Are You Sure You Didn't Mean Image?

Serious talk though, I've been loving the latest wave, with Art Ops, Slash & Burn, and Clean Room topping my list (2016's issues could change all that, of course).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If the folks behind Cabin In The Woods ever want to do a sequel, they could do worse than adapt Survivors' Club, especially now that horrors are starting to cross paths as of the excellent fourth issue.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Anyone care to theorize what the hell goes on in The Twilight Children? Hard to believe it's over when it only feels halfway done.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Speaking for the first three issues, Sheriff of Babylon is much, much grayer than a "white liberators" narrative. There are double crosses on top of double crosses, like a military noir crossed with a half-dozen Iraqi personalities who talk about America's presence in good/bad terms based on history/the present moment, and they could be lying to whomever is listening in that scene. The seeming protagonist, the put-upon white detective, struggles just to maintain order and sanity among his own troops, let alone save anyone from another culture. His biggest virtue so far is that he seems to work with his eyes open and want to perform his duty in a straightforward manner, but he might also be the last honest person there. The question at the center of the plot is, "how did this corpse appear at the edge of the green zone?" but the answer requires looking at the story of everyone occupying the power vacuum in Iraq -religion, opportunism, loyalists, rebels, occupying soldiers, men, women- and their clashing motives. If the story turns out to resolve in a tension-shattering "the good guys were sent to straighten out this mess and dammit that's what they're gonna do," it would still have to tie up some complex loose ends that I for one have been enjoying. This is all without going into how Mitch Gerads is absolutely killing it on art, but I have the print issues and don't have time to stuff this post with a dozen TIMGs (tis the work of a nobler poster than I, who can only donate words).

Also, having read an advance copy of Dark Night: A True Batman Story, all y'all animated series and Paul Dini fans are in for a real treat. Comes out in June!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

And Vertigo's remaining editors will report directly to Didio & Lee.
What're the odds that the B-Team will get to rule the roost as D+L ignore Vertigo's emails in lieu of chasing Young Animal's exposure?
(Reminder: Clean Room, Sheriff of Babylon, and Unfollow are unimpeachable. Survivors' Club, Red Thorn, and Jacked are no slouches, either.)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I know Young Animal is the belle of the alt-DC ball right now, but Clean Room is on such a hot streak and deserves more love from the weird-horror crowd.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thanks for mentioning Unfollow! Scooped up everything from after I cut it out (hard to keep biting the $4 bullet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Good God, that Sheriff of Babylon conclusion.

There is no real mystery, just a cycle of violence and whatever stage of it you happen to witness. Everyone else is complicit and either in denial about it or comfortable with it.

• Locked thread