Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked it a lot. This is probably overhyping it but it seems like it's combining the conspiracy/alien stuff from X-Files with the political stuff of West Wing. I really liked the balance between the two (two of my favorite hobbies!) and hope it keeps up in later issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Super excited for this, but I also hope it turns out better than Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Yeah, ignore volume 5. It does have both the prose and illustrated Dream Hunters and Endless Nights, but unless you really want the crossover with Sandman Mystery Theatre you should just pick up the two TPBs and save your money.

Out of curiosity, how was the Sandman Midnight Theatre? I'm considering picking up Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days mainly just to read it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Saucer Country has been great. One of my favorite new comics in a long time.

I've also enjoyed The New Deadwardians, even with generally being sick of the glut of zombie, vampire, and/or alternate history/steampunk stuff saturating pop culture today. I think its spin on those genres is different enough to work.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That really bums me out about Saucer Country. One of the most enjoyable new comics of 2012 IMO, right alongside Saga for me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I guess Snow White is kind of sympathetic, but Bigby definitely isn't - even if he wants to change his ways, he's shown to be a ruthless piece of poo poo, like, constantly.

Yeah but that's clearly because Willingham wants him to be seen as a "badass" "antihero" type.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Incidentally speaking of Fables, I just read the two Cinderella spinoffs and I thought they were both (especially the first) way more enjoyable than most of Fables ever was for me. Shame there won't be any more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So with Gaiman back at Marvel now, what does that mean for the Sandman prequel?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Seconding Time Warp. I just read it and was pleasantly surprised overall. I think my favorite story was the one about the memory candy.

I also just got to the last issue of Saucer Country. Given that he probably only had a few issues notice that it was being cancelled I think Cornell wrapped it up as best as he could, although honestly except for the Pioneer people explanation I bet most of the issue is what would have been in it had it just been another issue and the story was continuing.

Real bummed that Saucer Country is over, it was probably one of my favorite new series of the past few years.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Truly welcome news. Thanks for this!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm a big fan of Ian Edginton, especially Kingdom of the Wicked and Leviathan, so I'll definitely give Hinterkind a try. Nice to see him doing something other than adapting Victorian literature, which seems to be a lot of what he's done recently (although I've enjoyed those, as well).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Definitely some Earth Abides/The Stand, also. It also kind of made me wonder if it was taking some pages from Saga's book, but Edginton's done this sort of bizarro-fantasy setting on and off for a while, now.

But I thought it was decent, and the premise definitely has a lot of promise, but the first issue didn't really grab me entirely. I think part of it was that the dialogue seemed a bit strange. It's definitely different from Edginton's usual characters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've also been interested in DMZ, and was recently considering getting into it, but I read a few issues of Wood's Star Wars comic he's currently doing for Dark Horse and it's about the blandest, slowest-paced thing imaginable, so that made me reconsider (even though I'm sure DMZ is better, in either case).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Something about the Sandman Overture plot so far seems like it's influenced by Gaiman watching a lot of Moffat-era Doctor Who. Starts out with the blatant foreshadowing of a big coming danger, his apparent death, interlude with wacky creatures in Victorian London, summoning to a place with multiple incarnations, it's all stuff that's been seen multiple times in the Moffat/Matt Smith era of the show. Even Death kind of reminded me of the human TARDIS from Gaiman's first episode a few years ago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DangerKat posted:

We might be getting a Preacher TV series courtesy of Seth Rogen. Wait, what?

Let's hope it can meet the high standards Rogen set for himself with The Green Hornet.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anyone else reading Hinterkind? The first two issues didn't grab me all that much, but with the third one, I think the story and background is starting to take root and interest me more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like JGL as an actor, and while I didn't see Don Juan I heard good things about it, but I can't really see him as Morpheus or director of a Sandman movie. Or David Goyer doing a good script version of it, especially solo.

I always thought one of the most problematic aspects of adapting Sandman, besides the huge sprawling mythos, is that the opening volume is easily the weakest of the series and lacks a lot of the themes and characters that made it so popular, but is also pretty essential to setting the series up.

I feel like the best way for an adaptation to work, especially in movie form where a lot of stuff would need to be trimmed out, would be to start out covering the stuff from the first issue or two of Preludes (Morpheus being imprisoned, and his eventual escape and return to the Dreaming) and then to jump right into Season of Mists.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Its also Snow White and if the character is popular enough they can not die.

Though in the comic, she gets pretty hosed up for a while just by being shot in the head. Getting her head cut off would probably not be something she'd get over anytime soon.

Actually, when is the Telltale game supposed to be set in relation to the start of the comic? It seemed like it was kind of generic broad-80s-to-2000s timeframe.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I finally got around to reading Punk Rock Jesus. I was worried it was going to basically be a long Christopher Hitchens rant and while parts of it definitely were in that vein, the fact that most of that stuff was coming from a 15 year old character made it easier to swallow (plus the fact that one such rant featured a holographic Carl Sagan playing with the solar system, which was awesome). I also really loved the Thomas McKael character - the slow unveiling of his background was probably my favorite part of the book.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Be warned that it starts as a bland retread of I Am Legend before it goes anywhere.

Did it actually go anywhere good? I read the first half dozen or so issues and it felt it like it had potential but just wasn't actually going anywhere with it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Huh, I hadn't heard they were going to do a comic adaptation of The Wolf Among Us. Might be the first Fable comic I pick up in a long while.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

drat... I need to start reading Lucifer. A friend got me into Sandman around ten years ago and at the time she told me to read Lucifer next because it was even better, but after Sandman I just didn't think it was possible, so I kept putting it off. I've seen enough people say the same sentiments now that I'm definitely feeling the need to get into it.

Skimming the article on Wiki, I see it's collected into 11 volumes - there aren't any sort of side-stories or the like I need to also check out, are there?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nemo07 posted:

Aw, well that's unfortunate that it basically stays lovely like that. I was hoping the comic would have been closer to the game, but I guess that's not the case.

I would actually recommend the two Cinderella limited series that were spun off from Fables. They weren't written by Bill Willingham (actually I just realized they're written by the guy who did iZombie), and they were both fun James Bond parodies. I really enjoyed both of them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Treebeh posted:

I've recently gotten back into reading Vertigo comics because I remembered how amazing they all are. What are everyone's favorite comics, new or old? I think mine might be Preacher just because it's so batshit insane and entertaining. Sandman is so beautiful and mystical that it is also a strong contender. I'd be interested in learning about some lesser known comics that I might not have heard of.

Sandman and Y: The Last Man are probably strong contenders for my favorite comics of all time, if I was forced to choose. However, I have just started reading Lucifer, and I'm really looking forward to finally diving into that. Even just going from what I remember of him from Sandman that TV show looks laughable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is IZombie any good? I really don't know anything about it other than it's almost totally different from the show, but I've liked everything else by Chris Roberson I've read, even though that's a small sample size.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

What are the essential Vertigo series?

In terms of the ones that are most popular/influential, I'd say Sandman, Lucifer, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Preacher, Y: The Last Man, Unwritten, Fables? Maybe 100 Bullets and DMZ?

Looking through the Vertigo list on Wikipedia now, I completely forgot about Saucer Country... man, I really wish they hadn't axed that after a year, it was like my ideal blend of racial politics and alien conspiracy theories.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So question, I read the first volume of American Vampire however many years ago when it came out and liked it, but haven't read anything since. However, at my comics shop today, there was an issue with what looked like a 1960s vampire cosmonaut on the cover. So my questions are, is there an American Vampire storyline about vampires in the space race, and if so, would I be completely lost if I jumped right in to only read that?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's definitely a series I've always intended to go back to. Maybe once I finally get through Lucifer that'll be my next comics goal.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Constantine was a decent movie with a few great acting roles (Tilda Swinton was a standout for me in it too) as long as you pretend it has nothing to do with Hellblazer.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I also liked the two Cinderella spinoffs, but that's probably because Chris Roberson wrote them rather than Willingham.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember some of that in the first volume of Y: The Last Man, too, with the Republican Wives storyline.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is the comic really that bad? That's a shame... I generally like Chris Roberson's work.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hasn't Vertigo now become "everything published by DC that isn't part of the DC Universe"? That's a pretty big shift from what it used to be alone.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So is the Lucifer show supposed to be part of that wider DC Comics TV Show Universe?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

So apparently long-delayed, announced-for-Vertigo series The Discipline, by Peter Milligan, has just jumped ship and gone to Image.

Man, this got announced the same time as Hinterkind and Sandman Overture... I remember thinking it looked interesting, putting it on my pull list at the comic shop, and I don't believe I've thought about it in probably two years. Better check to make sure it's still on my pull list.

Anyway, I read Lucifer #1 on a whim and it really doesn't feel like a continuation of the Lucifer at all. And I mean that in a bad way.

I also for some reason didn't realize that Twilight Children was only four issues. That bums me out a lot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I just finished the last issue of Twilight Children. Great art, liked the setting/atmosphere, and liked the character interactions, had absolutely no idea what was actually happening.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is it actually good? I saw a solicit of it when it started where it looked like "white American liberators save these violent Iraqis from themselves" and the writer explicitly said "I don't want to get into the politics of it" which is always a coded phrase for "support our troops".

If it's actually something more than that then I guess their advertising was off, but if it's even remotely an Iraq War puff piece there's no way I'd get close to it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Last Gang in Town is really good. Love the art style - it's cartoony in exactly the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How is the new Lucifer series?

I read the first issue, and while I agree it's not terrible, I really wasn't hooked enough to continue.

• Locked thread