Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
I've been poor this year but luckily I can comment on this thread as I've read a great deal of the topical titles. I'm not even going to include spoilers unless specifically requested to as I feel that the tales really all merit reading for the value of the story within.

The Unwritten: I have to trade wait this and its been excellent so far. Brilliantly written with art that reflects the spirit of the work. I predict that this will become a treasured work among my collection.

Preacher: This is the Benchmark work of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. The artwork features the Steve Dillon face, but as with most of the works of Vertigo the writing steals the show. If you like it consider checking out The Punisher Max run by Ennis.

Doom Patrol: I only have Morrison's run, but it was very well done. A refreshing alternative to the JLA JSA archetype I feel that it is a good midway point to the likes of Secret Six. At times Morrison is dry, and preachy but if you like our comics with half a bottle of bizzare then this may be a flavor you'll enjoy.

Transmetropolitan: Stunning. One of the best of the line it really is a fantastic example of the brilliance that can come out of Warren Ellis when he finishes a line. (I'm never going to forgive him for his pacing on Fell) If you have the money to buy an entire run of something this year get this. Political, Allegorical, I really don't want to risk giving preconceptions to people about it, but I'm not in danger of overhyping it.

Sandman: While not entirely released under Vertigo it is entirely worth reading. Several of the issues has the distinction of being one of my favorite issues in comics ever. Excellent writing and artwork that brings images that will stay in your mind's eye for hours when paired so well with Gaiman's storytelling.

Swamp Thing: Its early works feature everything that you'd expect from a Vertigo run. Excellent writing that tends to overwhelm the artwork, but this really seems to trail off at the end after Moore's departure at least in my own opinion (happy to discuss this with anyone who likes).

Fables: An interesting take on fiction and collective memory. It at times suffers from pacing issues but recently it has taken on a new direction. I advise caution but I will ask a greater expert on it than myself to post on the topic. Of exceptional quality was 1001 Nights of Snowfall. A collection of tales that gave me everything I wanted from a comic.

Y: The Last Man: A powerful tale that I feel encapsulates a modern twist on the hero's journey. heh Very emotional, but the emotion does not distract or detract from the writing in the least.

Greek Street: I only have read the first one and it was every bit as excellent as I was told it would be, but my comic book shop was sold when I was reserving my copy of this. It was an error on my part and I will endeavor to correct it and should not reflect negatively on the title, though I encourage you to trust the opinions of others who have gotten to read it in its entirety over mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread