Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

enigmahfc posted:

One Vertigo series that seems to get a bit of critical praise but very little fan discussion is Air. My wife started picking this up because the main character is a flight attendant, and so is she, so of course I read it. It's pretty good.

The story centers around Blythe, an acrophobic flight attendant who is drawn into a plot against a terrorist organization called the for the "Etesian Front". It's the sort of story that kind of hard to nail down in a few sentences. It features a man name Zayn, someone who is sort of a chameleon when it comes to his nationality, a nation named Narimar, a place that ostensibly disappeared from maps during the 1947 Partition of India, and Amelia Earhart. It has the same felling of the TV show Lost did during the first two seasons, before that show left the rails. It's a good fantasy series that works equally well for people who are not even into comics (like my wife).

Whereas most of the notable Vertigo titles are very, how you say, testosterone driven or dark and violent (this is not me being critical, I love most of those series), Air is the complete opposite of that. It feels very female driven and aimed. Violence is rare, and it is not dark in the least. Honestly, the whole thing is refreshing to me.

It is written by G. Willow Wilson, and has art by M. K. Perker.

I really like Air. It sort of has this gee whiz wonder to it while at the same time staying weirdly grounded. Sort of like Lost like you said, but also mixed with Indiana Jones or something. MYSTERY and ADVENTURE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

choobs posted:

I had been putting off Scalped for years but I finally picked it up after reading some of Jason Aaron's other work (and seeing panels posted from his run on Ghost Rider that looked awesome) and was totally blown away. It is easily one of the best books being written anywhere right now and Dash Bad Horse is one of the best main characters ever. His introduction in the first issue is the definition of badass. "Whicha you motherfuckers is gonna be the first to cry for Jesus?"

As of the Gnawing trade, Red Crow is officially outbadassing Dashiel. Probably one of my favorite villains ever. It even feels somehow wrong applying that title to him even with all the awful stuff he does.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I don't think anyone is going to win, I'm sort of imagining that 90 percent of the cast is going to die. I'm just hoping Officer Falls Down survives somehow. Poor guy is just trying to do his job.

It is pretty amazing how this series started out with a bunch of characters that felt like tropes and just evolved them into really well rounded characters. Red Crow seemed like your typical evil business man/boss in the first trade, now he is pretty damned heroic at some points. Dash is more then just your typical badass anti-hero now too. Scalped loving owns.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Plus, Nunchucks!

I think Red Crow is still keeping those in the front drawer of his desk like a pair of chattering teeth or x-ray glasses confiscated by the principal. I hope they get liberated soon.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Started reading Lucifer and Unwritten because of this thread, and holy poo poo, Mike Carey is the motherfucking bomb.

Lucifer just has excellent timing so far, like, as soon as I am about to check out for awhile because of horribly depressing poo poo, bam "..I set you over hedgehogs."

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I love how Red Crow turned out to be so goddamn compelling. He seemed like such a generic big business evil prick in the first couple issues.

Also, I would buy the poo poo out of an oversized book of these covers.

http://www.comicvine.com/scalped-the-gravel-in-your-guts-part-one/37-139193/

I need a poster of this cover for issue 21 right away.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

iostream.h posted:

Just jumping in to n'th the love for 'I, Zombie', the artwork is gorgeous and I'm enjoying the lazy buildup.

I loved the Sandman run and am interested in Lucifer, does it continue with the same 'feel' or is it more modern/hectic (for lack of a better term)?

I think Lucifer and Sandman work well together and they both combine to make an extremely rich universe with seemingly limitless possibilities.

Personally I liked Sandman more because through the entire run it keeps you interested while maintaining a lot of it's inherent mysteries, which is a pretty delicate balance. There are so many untold stories when it comes to Sandman, and I think Gaiman is sort of a master at giving you great stories while withholding the stories you really want to hear.

What is the story with Delight turning into Delirium? How did the original Despair die? What happened between Dream and the woman who created The Land? Why did Death stop being such a cold hearted bitch? The world Gaiman writes about seems much more mysterious and richer for keeping a lot of this stuff a secret. Lucifer doesn't really hold a lot of mystery, and everything held back is eventually revealed so the stories don't really stick in the back of my mind the way some stories in Sandman do. (Full disclosure: I'm only up to book 9 in Lucifer, so maybe that changes.)

That being said, Lucifer is pretty drat great and fits well with Sandman, and my monocle wouldn't fall off and shatter if someone said Lucifer was superior.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 19, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I just reread the first trade of Unwritten after getting the new one, did anyone else notice Callendar is in the first issue at the convention, as sort of a bitter author who is jealous of Tom Taylor's popularity? Did I completely miss something about how he became the leader of a shadowy cabal?

Also, Scalped is so goddamn good. Goddamn. It hits all the right badass notes and all the right emotional notes at the same time.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

So after seeing it built up so much, I was kind of underwhelmed by Daytripper. To me, Bras is a complete non character. He has no flaws, no failings at all. It becomes comical at the midway point when he is leaving notes all over his house for his wife to find that talk about how much he loves and cherishes their relationship. The entire book is as saccharine as a goddamn hallmark original picture. Part of this I can chalk up to the obituary theme, where maybe we are only seeing the positives, but the end result for me is that I can't feel anything for this character. That in turn starts to make the hook at the end of each issue feel like a gimmick, and eventually it just feels like ham fisted emotional manipulation.

I understand in terms of story and characterization the book is going for subtle, but it doesn't feel subtle, it feels unstated. The art is lovely though, and I think that is the only reason I saw it through. If this was a movie or a straight novel I wouldn't have finished it. Maybe that is a little harsh, because there were some pretty neat things in it, but I think, for me, it's a case where the whole isn't as good as the sum of the parts.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

FMguru posted:

Scalped is usually described as "like The Sopranos on an indian reservation" which is not entirely accurate - it's acutally "like The Sopranos on an indian reservation, only better". Seriously, it's that good.

Lucifer is my other favorite Vertigo series, but you should read Sandman (or at least the "Season of Mists" TPB) before you start it. Like Godfather II, Empire Strikes Back, and Aliens, it's the rare follow-on work that's actually better than its (justly praised) predecessor.

I've heard the Sopranos thing before and never really got it at all. Where exactly are the similarities between the two other then they are both about organized crime? They seem as different to me as two stories about organized crime can be.

Scalped is basically the best though in my opinion, and if it isn't then The Unwritten is.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

They are really hard to compare. It's like someone asking if you would prefer a nice steak dinner or a poo poo ton of alcohol. It probably depends on your mood. For me, Scalped always makes me wonder what will happen next, but the Unwritten always makes me wonder about what I just read, and I think that's indicative of a richer story.

On the other hand, I appreciate the way Scalped can be this white knuckle thrill ride while at the same time all these gangster genre archetypes completely bust away from their mold and get twisted and pulled through holes they don't normally go through. Reading that first trade I never thought that the badass poo poo kicking hero would crack so completely under the strain of his life and become a pathetic junkie desperately trying to figure out how to properly mourn, or that the cold crime boss would become an almost heroic figure who understands completely that he will not be forgiven for the violence he used to achieve what he feels is a great end. I never thought that Red Crow would be so drat sad. Scalped is really good.

On the other other hand, The Unwritten made me feel sympathy for the plight of a novel. Pretty loving hard to do!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Carey said 60-70 issues roundabout, but he doesn't have it set in stone.

https://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc2011-unwritten-goes-twice-monthly-110722.html

Not sure if that number counts the .5's they are making now. I hope not. I could read 200 issues of this.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Every Vertigo series I can think of is set in its own separate universe except Sandman and Lucifer, but one isn't required reading for the other. Lucifer is a spinoff from Sandman, but it isn't a huge deal if you grabbed Lucifer first.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Recently got the latest Unwritten trade, and the moment when we realize the significance of the Leviathan is one of my all time favorite moments in comics.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone feel a bit disappointed by the last coupe of Scalped trades? Felt to me like one or two issues of main story padded with merely decent side-stories.

I dunno, I kinda liked learning more about some of the side players. Man, the Unwanted arc in volume 7 broke my heart too. Carol overhearing Shunka and Red Crow talking about her was a trip to frown town. That scene was pretty beautifully laid out and came as a surprise for a lot of reasons. It's kind of nice that Carol actually feels like a real character these days. Also Dash wore a really nice sweater in that arc and his dad didn't even get to see it...

The Nitz story in volume 8 felt really out of tune, but it also had Dash dragging Falls Down back to town like a goddamn champion of the universe after Catcher shot him the gently caress up. It's kind of funny with how violent the book is that saving a dude's life was the most :black101: moment of the entire series.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

The latest Unwritten trade was pretty bleak, but Mike Carey always seems to have a way of not being a huge turnoff the way other writers can be when they go super dark. The ending where Tom wrote "I'm coming to get you bastards" in the sky with fiery light was pretty great in that I imagine he made all of New York piss it's collective pants, which is just a hell of a magic trick.

This series makes me hate trade waiting and I might actually have to go find a real life comic store.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Finished Joe the Barbarian and it was okay. Morrison's writing was kind of uneven and it felt kind of rushed in places, but Sean Murphy was knocking poo poo out of the park all day/everyday, I mean goddamn. That book is so pretty. It could have been scripted by anyone and it would have been worth my time because of the art.

The story wasn't all bad, I thought it said some things about grief pretty eloquently through the Queen Bree character, but I just think it got to the end before anything got into a rhythm or you ever actually knew who any of the people were. I'll just say again, Sean Murphy is dynamite.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Was Taters posted:

His art is AWESOME. Just don't read anything he says.

It's alright, one of my favorite painters murdered a dude, I'll be okay if his twitter is awful. Unless he murdered a dude AND his twitter is awful.

Anyway, ended up ordering the Si Spencer Hellblazer trade because Murphy did the art, anyone know if the story in it is any good?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Welp, finished up the latest Scalped trade today. I was kind of disappointed with the way it focused a lot on Karnow. I mean, one of the things I absolutely love about the series so far is that all the characters are so unpredictable and cross up your expectations of them and it was kind of nice to see that happen even with a guy like Karnow, but we are clearly in end game territory and we already have so many characters. I found my self getting impatient reading about him. Hell of a cliff hanger though. I trade wait so I don't really know, is this series already over?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

So how does 100 Bullets develop? I see praise for it everywhere, but after the first two trades I can't say I like it. It sort of feels like the graphic novelization of when my friend's little brother starts talking to us about the super badass tattoos he is going to get next summer. Like all it has is this veneer of surface level teenage "coolness." I actually really like noir and I think comics is such a perfect medium for it but this series is falling flat with me because the characterization has felt thin. I really like the premise and art though, I might get another trade to see how it goes. Honestly I felt sort of similar things about the first few issues of Scalped but then it turned into one of my favorite comics being made.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

So the latest Unwritten trade came out and is all up in my face reminding me that this is the best comic coming out today. I think Mike Carey is outdoing his Lucifer stuff. Although about Leviathan I'm not sure how I feel about Leviathan showing up as a tangible monstrous entity. It sort of demystifies it for me, which is kind of what happened toward the end of his Lucifer run which left me a little cold. And man I don't believe the sad thing that happened at the end of the War of Words arc is going to stick, but still my poor fragile nerd heart is breaking. Pullman is a total dick, gee whiz.

Was Taters posted:

Well, since you're asking in the Vertigo thread, I might suggest the first 40ish issues of Unwritten, by Mike Carey and um, Peter Gross I think. There should be about 4 collected editions for that.

Are you looking for ongoing monthlies to buy or collections?

The 6th one just came out which was the War of Words stuff, and yeah this person knows what's up, the Unwritten is pretty loving awesome.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

The ending to Scalped ruled. I loved that Catcher was just so crazy that he apparently was accepted into a pack of wild dogs and they are following him around wherever he goes and helping him do stuff. It was really menacing and adorable all at the same time.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice was really good. Wilson Taylor is such an unnerving character. Hearing him dispassionately narrate his plans for Tom's life before he is even born and the way he took advantage of Sue's depression was creepy as poo poo. Even when Tom wins, it's like, yeah, but gently caress Wilson for being right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I'm still trying to figure out why Callender is in the very first issue as a jealous hack writer. I'm only up to the 7th trade though.

• Locked thread