Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Scalped. It's so fuckin' good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Scalped is great because it captures a lot of what made The Sopranos great early on (giving you a socoiopath you find yourself rooting for in spite of yourself, having intriguing supporting characters all around, and having shades of grey in a way that makes you question morality), but it also has spiffy art (some of the nicest covers I ever did see). It also provides an indian protagonist that isn't a walking stereotype (that Apache guy didn't do anybody any favors), and it reads equally well in single and trade format. Plus, it's written by Jason Aaron, and that guy is ON FIRE right now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wouldn't get too excited about that, the same sort of thing has been announced and cancelled like 15 times for Sandman, it's literally a running joke at The Onion's AV club.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I value Vertigo now possibly more thn ever with the way DC is loving up their line. Vertigo really IS the little imprint that could.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also, Sandman and 100 Bullets. Sometimes the most popular stuff on a line of books DESERVES to be popular.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If there's one thing you can love about Vertigo other than the quality, it's that the stories quit while they're ahead before they descend into self-parody.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The difference being that John is a mystical character and hand-waving his aging away with magic would get far less groans than with any other characters. Especially seeing as how this is a guy who tricked a loving demon into getting rid of his cancer.

That being said, for a mystical character, John's story arcs have had remarkably little bullshit compared to say, non-mystical characters like Spider-Man. Especially considering how long he's been around.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 8, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't think DC really wants people considering the movie at all, considering how underwhelming it is. Like, being English is such a huge part of John's identity; the guy was written/created in part as a reaction Thatcher's England and how much of a hellhole it was. I'm sure the people behind the movie were just trying to make the movie have mass appeal, but honestly, they should have thought of that before they cast Keanu Reeves, of all people. And it's a bit telling that they somehow felt that Americans couldn't get behind a British protagonist, apparently having never heard of James Bond. Personally, I'd have cast Tim Roth as Constantine.

And who in the clunking gently caress thought Scott Lobdell was an ideal writer for the DCU version?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Phew, that's a relief.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, I suppose it's really just a stay of execution until the sales of the DC version lag and they decide to put somebody like Geoff Johns on the book.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Joe Quesada did things that were great long term for the company. Unless you really like Geoff Johns, I can't say the same about Dan DiDio, which I guess answers the question of "Who doesn't have problems with mamangement in this company?".

I wonder if the Hellblazer thing was the last straw for her.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

So with Gaiman back at Marvel now, what does that mean for the Sandman prequel?

Unless it's an exclusive deal, probably nothing. Even if it is exclusive, it's quite possible Gaiman turned in scripts already.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

redbackground posted:

Every time I see new post in the Vertigo thread, I expect it to be link to the press release that it's been shut down.

Sadly, I'm at the same point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dead Boy Detectives and Suiciders sound good, the rest, not so much.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

Can't wait for the fans to start shipping Jesse and Cassidy.

I would imagine you could find fanfic of this pretty easily.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Preacher can not be done without the word gently caress. It just can't be done. gently caress is used so much in the work it may as well be a member of the cast.

I cried when Saint of Killers took out gently caress, man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Check out Punk Rock Jesus for more of that dude. He wrote it too.

I really enjoyed Punk Rock Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is the new Lucifer series?

• Locked thread