Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Was Taters posted:

That cover is gorgeous. I wish I'd liked 100 Bullets more.

I loved the first two graphic novel collections, but after that the plot seemed to me to collapse under its own weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mister Roboto posted:

The Boys works if you hate a lot of Superhero tropes and cliches. Otherwise it'll come across as trying too hard.

Honestly, I hate a lot of Superhero tropes and cliches, and The Boys still seems like it's trying too hard. I enjoy a conspiracy of superheroes, and I also enjoy the idea of normals defeating superheroes (although the Boys left "normals" behind a long time ago), ala Stormwatch: Team Achilles. But I just get tired of The Boys always turning things up to 11 (what if Superman wasn't just evil, but also Raped Dogs!).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Personally, I think 100 Bullets is maybe the best comic book of the past 25 years so I'll be that dude who tells you to stick with it.

Eh. I love the first 7 trades and the original pure conceit of "100 Bullets to do anything you want." After that I think the series runs off the usual conspiracy rails and collapses under its own weight.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Gonna nab Ex Machina and The Losers and maybe Sweet Tooth.

Ex Machina has the most naive view of politics I think I've ever seen in a comic book, which is saying something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ooh Ooh. Comic book smackdown.

Actually, I'm legit interested in this. Do tell.

I'll have to go back through and reread to call out everything in particular, but in general we see that Mitchell Hundred is that rare straight-talking politician who has positions that both parties hate and yet is able to pull everyone together through Being Right.

It's a pretty common fantasy that somehow things don't get done in politics because there is a Great Man missing, rather than because people have fundamental disagreements about core issues.

• Locked thread