Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

redbackground posted:

There was that issue of Cornell's Action Comics run where she and Luthor hung out (it was pretty good! and Gaiman-approved!) and a controversial issue of Captain Atom back in the day where I think it's said that she is but one aspect of "death".

edit: Oh hey there wikipedia

I actually asked Keith Giffen if there were any sort of problems or issues arising out of Death appearing in that issue of Legion at a convention. He said "Not really." By the way, the appearance is just that, she literally appears in a single panel. Doesn't say or do anything. The story is presented as a prose news report about the destruction of Earth with large images, not a traditional comic.

By the way, is it outside of the realm of this thread to talk about other DC published comics that either pre-date the imprint, beyond the ones that transitioned into actual Vertigo books? Or later ones that fit the "Vertigo spirit"? Like, it's a straight up superhero comic, but the "5 Years Later" Legion fits the mold of what I'm talking about.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Was Taters posted:

He doesn't just get praised for writing comics with women in them - he works with women a lot. I thought it was interesting that while the woman in question basically made it sound like it must be Wood (the guy you talked about, to Graham), she never specifically named him, no one else is naming him either. But, also interesting, is I don't see his former collaborators defending him. It's a weird situation.

I guess this is the place to put this:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/124930-tess-fowler-brian-wood-is-a-dick.html

Fowler came out and said that yup, she was talking about Wood.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

DangerKat posted:

We might be getting a Preacher TV series courtesy of Seth Rogen. Wait, what?

OH god can you imagine what Arseface will be like in live action? Ugh.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Martello posted:

So is everyone just taking Fowler's word for it? I can believe Wood was trying to pick her up at a con, but maybe she's blowing out of proportion for revenge purposes. I dunno, I just think that the twitter accusation stuff has gotten out of hand at this point. Someone tweets something and all of a sudden it's gospel.

Even if Wood has a nasty side to him, he's a drat fine comics creator. I'm pretty sure Henry Miller was a bad person, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't read Tropic of Cancer.

Nobody cares if you buy Wood's books or not, I'm sure there's someone who would be willing to take me to task for some of the books I own but maybe you could refrain from accusing her of "blowing things out of proportion"? That's classic enabling behavior and part of why women are afraid to come out about this sort of thing. Revenge? Come on, son. He's copped to it at this point too. And a bunch of other people have come out about his behavior. It would have to be an active conspiracy for it to be about "revenge"

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 20, 2013

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Did anyone read that comic Testament? How is it? The concept, where Biblical history repeats itself in the near future sounds interesting, and I'm a big fan of Liam Sharpe.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

At this point I'm reading Fables solely because I love Mark Buckingham's art. Hopefully after it ends he does something good and doesn't retire to sit on those fat Telltale cashwads.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Buckingham's art isn't that special though. Especially not compared to Lan Medina who did the first arc.

He has really clear and distinctive linework and storytelling. I like Lan Medina too, but Buckingham's art is stronger. Anyway that's a moot point - the best artist who has drawn anything Fables related is P. Craig Russell.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

That doesn't contradict P. Craig Russell being the best artist to illustrate Fables.

Man I love Mike Allred but yeah. The way Russell has been generally ignored by fandom is kind of lovely. Dude should be treated like the icon he is.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Vertigo is certainly being hamstrung by corporate politics in a way it wasn't in the glory days (the 90s and early to mid 2000s I guess) but naturally good books are still being produced there. Other publishers provide a more favorable option for creator owned work (of course they're not perfect as the problems with Scott Allie over at Dark Horse show) but Vertigo has cachet still.

I think iZombie was a victim of Roberson's falling out with DC. I'm surprised it wasn't just taken out back and shot and got an ending at all.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

BUt Vertigo has been part of DC Comics from the beginning. It was never an independent publisher. It still releasing good stuff, but with Image you have more freedom. They also seem to have lost something when they let go of Karen Berger.

Paul Levitz stepping down as publisher seems to have done damage too.

surc posted:

Eh, they were pretty alternative at the time, that was their whole angle. I think I'm safe with my phrasing. My point was that I feel like a lot of publishers have had similar bursts of coolness followed by a slow downgrade in quality. I suppose it could just be that being lucky enough to secure some abnormally awesome talent at the start is the reason they're successful enough to even be on the radar, and that constantly knowing what will be the best idea ever is really hard. :shrug:

Well, maybe provide some other examples?

Teenage Fansub posted:

What does that even mean?

Like, if you set The Kitchen, Names, Bodies, American Vampire, FBP, Twilight Children ect in Gotham and Metropolis they wouldn't stand out?

I don't think DC publishes anything outside of the DCU that isn't labeled Vertigo anymore. Like, right up to before New 52, they used to do that from time to time. The Mighty, Light Brigade, Major Bummer, etc. The 80s "Mature Readers" comics like Wasteland, Haywire, Skreemer don't count, they're part of what pushed DC to create Vertigo. I think that's what's being discussed.

Come to think of it though, there is one notable post-New 52 example of something outside the DCU that was published under the DC Comics banner - Before Watchmen. Also, newer trades of Watchmen are no longer labeled as a Vertigo comic.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

surc posted:

I'm not gonna provide examples because I was commenting on a weird pattern I'd noticed while reading comics, not trying to argue a point, and I am reading this at 7:50 AM on a Saturday morning. My initial post was intended as a "So do other people notice this too?" type thing.
I take it from your demands for other examples that you disagree that a lot of publishers start out strong and then get worse? You don't say you are, but otherwise you're just going "YOU'RE NOT FACTS ENOUGH" with no investment in the conversation, so I'm gonna benefit-of-the-doubt and assume you do have a stance. If you would like to have a conversation about this, please let me know your opinion and I would be happy to respond based on what your opinion is. I will not be doing a thing where I prove that my 'huh interesting' thought is the hard and fast 100% truth, though. :)

No, I was just interested in the idea. I want examples because I am interested, not because I am trying to discredit your opinion.

• Locked thread