Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Soonmot posted:

Holy gently caress, The Unwritten is as good as everyone is saying it is. Does Vertigo release hardcovers or should I just grab the two current trades?

I wouldn't expect hardcovers on it for a while....a long while. Vertigo rarely does them I've noticed.

If you grab the two trades, you should be almost fully up to date, missing one or two issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Sigma-X posted:

Does DMZ get better after the first trade? I bought the first one on a whim and I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not I like it. I can't tell if it was just a jumbled mess of exposition smattered with heavy-handed "WARBAD" tones because it was trying to set up the conceit for the series so it can do what it wants to do, or if its just going to continue the disjointed, heavy-handed WARBAD thing.

The first trade just seems like its way too rushed, skips a bunch of the actual development, and is trying too hard to tell too much in a single issue.

A lot of development happens later. It's not just WARBAD in later trades. It becomes more about how to people survive in these situations. Everything goes from black and white to shades of grey very quickly.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

GOP posted:

Is there another comic book publisher who specializes in comics for adults that is the quality of Vertigo?

Icon is Marvel's Vertigo.

It's not quite as developed yet as Vertigo but there are some great books on it including Powers, Incognito, Criminal, Cassanova and there are high hopes for Scarlet.

Again, it's in it's infancy but especially with Fraction, Bendis and Brubaker all with books, it'll grow given half a chance.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I hate to say it, but there's probably zero chance I'd be reading iZombie were it not for Allred's awesome art.

As for Greek Street, I found it mostly enjoyable and was starting to hit its stride. I'm sad it's going but I understand the loss.

Thanks for reminding me there's no more Loveless too. :(

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Did they sink a lot of money into the Vertigo Crime book line? I remember there was a lot of buzz for it initially, but then it petered out after the first lukewarm reviews came out.

My local comic book store had to cut the price in half just to get rid of them.

That's a good question. They recently started re-releasing all of them in softcover format which indicates either they did well or they're trying to reignite interest at a lower price.

I really was excited for the line but as more and more books came out with more supernatural influence than actual crime, I lost interest.

I would hope the restructuring of Vertigo was in the cards when they started announcing cancellations this Summer but who knows. If not, I'm not sure what they still have that can be canceled.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 2, 2010

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Staircase posted:

So I see American Vampire 22 is marked on the cover as a "New Storyline."

Is this at all a good place to jump into the series, or would I end up being lost and confused? I really regret missing out on the beginning, so eventually I would catch up in trades.

Yes. So far there's a very tiny amount of backstory that you've missed that seems relevant but mostly it is a very good jumping on point for a very very good series.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I think if there's one moment that fully solidified my hatred of Fables and Willingham it was when he had a shitfit a couple years ago at SDCC over the fact that there might be people in the audience that were just sitting through his panel because they really just wanted to see the next panel.

He was a loving child about the whole thing and went so far as to describe what a book is and how it worked in a demeaning fashion. The whole thing just soured me to Fables and anything he's done.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

iZombie is being killed in August. Saddest news I could hear today.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

Working my way through some old Hellblazers again, and goddamn but Steve Dillon doesn't have more than about 8-10 total faces he can draw, does he?

It took every bit of Garth Ennis' writing to get me through Preacher because of Steve Dillon.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm still shocked we're only a month away from a THIRD 100 Bullets hardcover volume.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'll admit it, it's kinda out there and you spend a lot of time wondering what the gently caress is going on until fifth trade with Miles, and even after, but at least you get direction. It's a slow burn that takes a while to get roaring and they spend too much time waking up the minutemen. but it all wraps together.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

AntiqueCowboy posted:

So what was the general consensus for Spaceman? The collected version is coming out soon and I'm thinking about picking it up. I've only read the preview that was in some anthology way back and found it to be kinda clunky.

If you take the time to learn the language, it's a pretty good read but the language is a HUGE barrier.

Risso is at the top of his game on art though.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

American Vampire is going on hiatus. My guess is DC is milking the poo poo out of Snyder and something has to give and to them, it's not going to be their properties.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/scott-snyder-american-vampite-hiatus.html

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I don't think Abnett's doing any WFH for DC. Isn't the New Deadwardians still going?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

So what do they have left after that? Fables, Fairest and Unwritten? Some licensed books? Anything else? I know American Vampire is still technically still around but it's on hiatus.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I don't think I have any other reaction other than "What???" and possibly "This sounds like a terrible idea."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43469

There's going to be a Fables/Unwritten crossover....

I'm kind of glad Karen Berger was let go so she didn't have to try and defend this.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If you like his art (Sean Gordon Murphy) also check out the 8 issue series he did with Grant Morrison called "Joe the Barbarian." It's exceptionally imaginative and the art is amazing.

He also did one of the mini series for American Vampire (Survival of the Fittest) that's good too (if you're already reading AmVamp).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Good news bad news. The good news is I can get caught up with it. The bad news is when I do, I will be pissed there are no new issues.

Worse news, it's ending the year with a bad taste in the mouth from a forced crossover.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Fables is ending at 150. Thank God.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jedit posted:

Coffin Hill is OK, but little more than OK. I don't think anybody is reading FBP.

I was reading FBP when it start and Rodriguez was knocking it out of the park on the art but the writing just didn't match. I dropped it after the first arc.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

Is anything worth reading in Vertigo after The Unwritten and Sandman Overture end? I noticed that most of my reading list has shifted to Image and various other publishers, which seem to have taken up the mantle after Vertigo stopped being the place to go for your weird rear end, but cool series.

American Vampire is still going and it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Shelly Bond got fired from Vertigo today soooooo, that happened.

• Locked thread